Replacement Pot Woes

Moderator: Ghost Hip

Forum rules
The DIY forum is for personal projects (things that are not for sale, not in production), info sharing, peer to peer assistance. No backdoor spamming (DIY posts that are actually advertisements for your business). No clones of in-production pedals. If you have concerns or questions, feel free to PM admin. Thanks so much!

Re: Replacement Pot Woes

Postby crochambeau » Tue Jan 09, 2018 8:44 pm

JonnyAngle wrote:
Pepe wrote:Tell us what you intend to purchase before buying a spray. The right one will be magic!

Whatever they have at the hardware store. CDC qd contact cleaner was what I used

http://www.crcindustries.com/products/q ... 02130.html

I had a quick peek at the other CRC stuff and everything I saw was straight contact cleaner. Don't use that. You want something to deposit a silicone lubricant that will reduce wear. I use Caig Deoxit or MG Chemicals 404B.
I've got to get off my ass and bring to reality that what has been quoted through existence.

Rochambeau Musical Apparatus
Reverb storefront
Shark Tank
crochambeau

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby DRodriguez » Tue Jan 09, 2018 9:11 pm

Well, you can use it, but also dry it and then add lubricant.

DeOxit fader is magic for this
DRodriguez

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby crochambeau » Tue Jan 09, 2018 9:39 pm

DRodriguez wrote:Well, you can use it, but also dry it and then add lubricant.

Good point. My initial google search for "pot lube" opens up a few time sink rabbit holes though.
I've got to get off my ass and bring to reality that what has been quoted through existence.

Reverb storefront
Shark Tank
crochambeau

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby JonnyAngle » Tue Jan 09, 2018 10:11 pm

Wow. So i was doing it pretty wrong then. I bought some deodorant fader lube. That might do the trick. It’s coming in on Friday so wait on bated breath
JonnyAngle

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Pepe » Wed Jan 10, 2018 2:54 am

I threw my standard contact cleaners away when I found out what to use instead for what purpose.

FYI, if you might need it someday: push potentiometers (faders) can be properly cleaned with isopropyl spray and then you have to add a bit of vaseline spray. Bye bye, crackling sounds! (Did also work great with the drawbars of my vintage KORG BX-3 organ.)

And while we're at it: most jacks don't need a replacement if they are simply dirty. My standard procedure is to apply pure isopropyl alcohol on a trumpet mouthpiece brush and swirl it inside the crackling jack. So many used pedals arrived with unreliable contacts at my home. All of them work like new again.
Pepe at YouTube and Instagram
Pepe

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby crochambeau » Wed Jan 10, 2018 10:21 am

Pepe wrote:And while we're at it: most jacks don't need a replacement if they are simply dirty. My standard procedure is to apply pure isopropyl alcohol on a trumpet mouthpiece brush and swirl it inside the crackling jack.

.223 cleaning brushes work wonders as well, probably easier to find in a hardware store stateside.

Reverb storefront
Shark Tank
crochambeau

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby MechaGodzilla » Wed Jan 10, 2018 10:28 am

It's hard to find real deoxit over here. Does anyone know if there's an equivalent product that's easier to find?
MechaGodzilla

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby crochambeau » Wed Jan 10, 2018 11:24 am

MechaGodzilla wrote:It's hard to find real deoxit over here. Does anyone know if there's an equivalent product that's easier to find?

Link us your usual supplier or region...

Reverb storefront
Shark Tank
crochambeau

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby MechaGodzilla » Wed Jan 10, 2018 3:42 pm

Oh I'm in the UK and I've just finished a can of WD40 branded contact cleaner (used to stop my mustang switches sticking/mitigate wahwah scratchiness)
MechaGodzilla

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby crochambeau » Wed Jan 10, 2018 4:57 pm

MechaGodzilla wrote:Oh I'm in the UK and I've just finished a can of WD40 branded contact cleaner (used to stop my mustang switches sticking/mitigate wahwah scratchiness)

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Caig-DeOxit-Co ... JAFPVHECGR
https://www.amazon.co.uk/CAIG-DeoxIT-Fa ... FNBB78T9SG

??

Seems a bit steep, but less by far than a bunch of pot replacements.

Could go with something like this, but I'd want to consult the MSDS if you're aiming it at conductive plastic pots..

http://uk.farnell.com/pro-power/ppc110/ ... dp/1206544

Reverb storefront
Shark Tank
crochambeau

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby MechaGodzilla » Wed Jan 10, 2018 5:04 pm

Yeah, the wd40 stuff (NOT the wd40 spray, just a branded electrical contact cleaner) was like £5 and lasted over a year, so 20-25 for a similar quantity of deoxit seems too steep. Maybe I need to go to a DJ tech shop and ask about what people use on old analogue mixers.

Good pots are really expensive. I have an SG that needs new guts. 4xCTS pots, and switchcraft jack & switch and I'm looking at ~£50 posted from UK suppliers. It's enough to make a man buy alpha!
MechaGodzilla

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby Pepe » Wed Jan 10, 2018 5:19 pm

As tuner spray I use Teslanol Oszillin T6. It is pretty cheap. Maybe you can purchase it or something very similar in the UK.
Pepe at YouTube and Instagram
Pepe

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby multi_s » Sat Jan 13, 2018 4:51 pm

crochambeau wrote:I recently had to offset another mounting point inside of a build, and to do so utilized the pots as mounting points for structural members. You could do something similar with a hole punch and some old beer cans.

chochambeau. turning pot woes into pot wows since 2017. nice work lol.
multi_s

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby BetterOffShred » Sat Jan 13, 2018 6:31 pm

That's a lot of dual gang pots. :drool:

What kind of devilry is this?
BetterOffShred

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby crochambeau » Sun Jan 14, 2018 2:10 am

Haha, thanks! I posted about it here: viewtopic.php?f=151&t=3277&start=5310

Reverb storefront
Shark Tank
crochambeau

IAMILF
IAMILF

PreviousNext

Return to DIY Effects