Replacement Pot Woes



Moderators: Ghost Hip, Gunner Recall, metalmariachi

Forum rules
The DIY forum is for personal projects (things that are not for sale, not in production), info sharing, peer to peer assistance. No backdoor spamming (DIY posts that are actually advertisements for your business). No clones of in-production pedals. If you have concerns or questions, feel free to PM admin. Thanks so much!

Replacement Pot Woes

Postby JonnyAngle » Mon Jan 08, 2018 1:21 pm

I have a Peavey PA 100 that needs new pots. The old pots are huge and hold part of the PCB in place. I can't find the proper replacement pots, so I'm going to use jumpers. Any suggestions on holding the PCB down?

Looking at the pic they seem normal, but there is a 1/2" spacer that's part of the pot. The actuators are green plastic. Funky!

Photo Jan 08, 9 43 16 AM.jpg
Photo Jan 08, 9 43 16 AM.jpg (79.12 KiB) Viewed 556 times
JonnyAngle

User avatar
IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS
 
Posts: 3279
Joined: Wed Feb 25, 2015 11:35 am
Location: Maple Grove, MN

Re: Replacement Pot Woes

Postby DRodriguez » Mon Jan 08, 2018 1:53 pm

Do all the pots need replacing?
Can some of them just be cleaned?
instagram: digitally_analog | snapchat: dave1856
DRodriguez

User avatar
IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS
 
Posts: 3326
Joined: Thu Apr 09, 2015 1:40 pm
Location: Brooklyn

Re: Replacement Pot Woes

Postby JonnyAngle » Mon Jan 08, 2018 2:17 pm

DRodriguez wrote:Do all the pots need replacing?
Can some of them just be cleaned?


I used a can of spray and it’s 50% better. Uneven tension, grindy, still staticky.
JonnyAngle

User avatar
IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS
 
Posts: 3279
Joined: Wed Feb 25, 2015 11:35 am
Location: Maple Grove, MN

Re: Replacement Pot Woes

Postby crochambeau » Mon Jan 08, 2018 2:58 pm

I recently had to offset another mounting point inside of a build, and to do so utilized the pots as mounting points for structural members. You could do something similar with a hole punch and some old beer cans.

Image
crochambeau

User avatar
FAMOUS
FAMOUS
 
Posts: 1443
Joined: Mon Jul 20, 2015 12:49 pm
Location: Cascadia

Re: Replacement Pot Woes

Postby JonnyAngle » Mon Jan 08, 2018 4:26 pm

JonnyAngle

User avatar
IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS
 
Posts: 3279
Joined: Wed Feb 25, 2015 11:35 am
Location: Maple Grove, MN

Re: Replacement Pot Woes

Postby JonnyAngle » Mon Jan 08, 2018 6:40 pm

crochambeau wrote:I recently had to offset another mounting point inside of a build, and to do so utilized the pots as mounting points for structural members. You could do something similar with a hole punch and some old beer cans.

Image

I think this is how it’ll go down.
JonnyAngle

User avatar
IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS
 
Posts: 3279
Joined: Wed Feb 25, 2015 11:35 am
Location: Maple Grove, MN

Re: Replacement Pot Woes

Postby crochambeau » Mon Jan 08, 2018 10:27 pm

I thought those parts were five leg with the outer two being just structural? Hard to see in the pic, but that fullcompass part didn't look like what I had envisioned.
crochambeau

User avatar
FAMOUS
FAMOUS
 
Posts: 1443
Joined: Mon Jul 20, 2015 12:49 pm
Location: Cascadia

Re: Replacement Pot Woes

Postby DRodriguez » Tue Jan 09, 2018 2:39 am

You're thinking of the peavey spider pots, those had the structural 4th leg.
instagram: digitally_analog | snapchat: dave1856
DRodriguez

User avatar
IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS
 
Posts: 3326
Joined: Thu Apr 09, 2015 1:40 pm
Location: Brooklyn

Re: Replacement Pot Woes

Postby frodog » Tue Jan 09, 2018 8:14 am

This topic is relevant to me, am in the mode of sourcing various parts like pots for different builds... It's the component I'm least sure about.

Read this interesting R.G. Keen article the other day, a little bit wiser for it: http://www.geofex.com/article_folders/potsecrets/potscret.htm

I thought the pots in the OP looked like the ones in my old RAT, but upon closer inspection they do not.
frodog

User avatar
experienced
experienced
 
Posts: 958
Joined: Fri Aug 28, 2015 2:55 pm
Location: the hollowed out chest of a dead horse

Re: Replacement Pot Woes

Postby Pepe » Tue Jan 09, 2018 9:40 am

JonnyAngle wrote:
DRodriguez wrote:Do all the pots need replacing?
Can some of them just be cleaned?


I used a can of spray and it’s 50% better. Uneven tension, grindy, still staticky.

For potentiometers you have to use TUNER SPRAY! :success:
Pepe

User avatar
FAMOUS
FAMOUS
 
Posts: 1289
Joined: Wed Oct 08, 2014 5:41 pm
Location: Germany

Re: Replacement Pot Woes

Postby crochambeau » Tue Jan 09, 2018 11:49 am

Pepe wrote:
JonnyAngle wrote:
DRodriguez wrote:Do all the pots need replacing?
Can some of them just be cleaned?


I used a can of spray and it’s 50% better. Uneven tension, grindy, still staticky.

For potentiometers you have to use TUNER SPRAY! :success:


Yeah, I always assume this is known, but pots want the stuff that leaves a lubricating film (and modern pot composition can offer up compatibility issues) and switches/tube sockets want "contact cleaner" which evaporates residue free.

Pots have finite lifespans though, eventually they wear out. Crunchy pots blow goats for anything other than harsh noise.
crochambeau

User avatar
FAMOUS
FAMOUS
 
Posts: 1443
Joined: Mon Jul 20, 2015 12:49 pm
Location: Cascadia

Re: Replacement Pot Woes

Postby Pepe » Tue Jan 09, 2018 12:46 pm

I cleaned a more than 45 years old ultra scratchy potentiometer of my dad's old Grundig HiFi amplifier with tuner spray. This was more than 5 years ago. It works like new ever since then without the slightest crackle. In the last 10 years I haven't had the need to replace a potentiometer, except it was really broken due to high pressure or other accidents (that have happened to the previous owners).
Pepe

User avatar
FAMOUS
FAMOUS
 
Posts: 1289
Joined: Wed Oct 08, 2014 5:41 pm
Location: Germany

Re: Replacement Pot Woes

Postby JonnyAngle » Tue Jan 09, 2018 6:46 pm

Pepe wrote:I cleaned a more than 45 years old ultra scratchy potentiometer of my dad's old Grundig HiFi amplifier with tuner spray. This was more than 5 years ago. It works like new ever since then without the slightest crackle. In the last 10 years I haven't had the need to replace a potentiometer, except it was really broken due to high pressure or other accidents (that have happened to the previous owners).

I'll see if I can get some more cleaner and keep going at it.

Full compass says they can get the exact pots. Peavey says they can't, so we'll see if I ever get an order confirmation email!>!>!>!
JonnyAngle

User avatar
IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS
 
Posts: 3279
Joined: Wed Feb 25, 2015 11:35 am
Location: Maple Grove, MN

Re: Replacement Pot Woes

Postby Pepe » Tue Jan 09, 2018 7:31 pm

Tell us what you intend to purchase before buying a spray. The right one will be magic!
Pepe

User avatar
FAMOUS
FAMOUS
 
Posts: 1289
Joined: Wed Oct 08, 2014 5:41 pm
Location: Germany

Re: Replacement Pot Woes

Postby JonnyAngle » Tue Jan 09, 2018 8:23 pm

Pepe wrote:Tell us what you intend to purchase before buying a spray. The right one will be magic!

Whatever they have at the hardware store. CDC qd contact cleaner was what I used
JonnyAngle

User avatar
IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS
 
Posts: 3279
Joined: Wed Feb 25, 2015 11:35 am
Location: Maple Grove, MN

Next

Return to DIY Effects



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests


Sponsored Ad. (Please no inflated/repetitive clicking. Thanks!)

Advertisements help support ILF


ilovefuzz.com is not responsible for user-submitted content. Users participate at their own discretion and risk.