DIY shout out!

Moderator: Ghost Hip

Forum rules
The DIY forum is for personal projects (things that are not for sale, not in production), info sharing, peer to peer assistance. No backdoor spamming (DIY posts that are actually advertisements for your business). No clones of in-production pedals. If you have concerns or questions, feel free to PM admin. Thanks so much!

Re: DIY shout out!

Postby UglyCasanova » Fri Dec 08, 2017 10:12 pm

Some pretty bold statements in here from a dude who called his first production pedal the Dirty Doper. :p
UglyCasanova

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby crochambeau » Fri Dec 08, 2017 10:22 pm

UglyCasanova wrote:Some pretty bold statements in here from a dude who called his first production pedal the Dirty Doper. :p

My first production unit was named the Crustacean :lol:, but yeah, strictly pedal was indeed the Dirty Doper.

Bold statements? I dunno, I feel like I'm being both tame and polite.. if you guys want to tear me apart, I can start another thread. Maybe an AMA?

Doesn't feel right on this one.
I've got to get off my ass and bring to reality that what has been quoted through existence.

Rochambeau Musical Apparatus
Reverb storefront
Shark Tank
crochambeau

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby lawrence scaduto » Sat Dec 09, 2017 1:46 am

crochambeau wrote:I just have to squint really hard to discern how Lawrence Scaduto changing the name of Bitches Love My Switches to Love My Switches (and I do) through an elevated sense of empathy, or sensitivity, or whatever (I wasn't there, so this is pure speculation that in my mind parallels what he wrote above) could be construed as oppression.!

Just to be clear. The name has been changed for so many reasons:
It make good business sense.
I'm a more sensitive.
It turns off potential customers.
My wife didn't like saying it to other professionals.
I want to protect my daughter.
I'm a little afraid an internet mob will come after me after reading Jon Ronson's book https://www.amazon.com/So-Youve-Been-Publicly-Shamed/dp/1594634017

And a bunch more that doesn't come to mind at this moment.

Thanks to you guys who do shop with us. We really have a warm spot in our heart for ya'll. Love My Switches was able to give us so much more time with our daughter in her first 2 years than if we both had day jobs. That's a really special thing. We feel lots of gratitude for that. And we try to take care of you guys as best we can to show our appreciation.
I make Pedalshttp://ohnoho.com
I sell pedal parts http://bitcheslovemyswitches.com
thinking of PMing? email lawrence at ohnoho dot com for the quickest response
lawrence scaduto

committed
committed

Postby BetterOffShred » Sat Dec 09, 2017 2:28 am

:thumb:
Nothing but love from up here in Eastern Washington my friend. Next time I'm down there to visit my cousin I'll buy you a beer. Promises promises
BetterOffShred

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby UglyCasanova » Sat Dec 09, 2017 5:04 am

crochambeau wrote:
UglyCasanova wrote:Some pretty bold statements in here from a dude who called his first production pedal the Dirty Doper. :p

Bold statements? I dunno, I feel like I'm being both tame and polite...

You are indeed polite and tame, but your are also being a little hypocritical. I'm just saying that your statements on social progression through language fire right back at you in some sense here. Take my one-word editing here, for example:

crochambeau wrote:If you consider the word "[doper]" it is difficult to find applications in anything but demeaning or derogatory manners.

I too have "seen things" (and experienced them), and while I'm not sensitive to this sort of thing (language), this is where I could talk about my friends who now live on the street or the two who have actually died from substance abuse and how you chose to make money (although I know you probably didn't because those were some cheap kick ass fuzz pedals!) by picking a "cool" and "edgy" name with total disregard to both my struggling and dead friends. Not only that, you slapped on a "Dirty" in front of it as well. I'm not trying to start anything here, as I'm really not offended by this sort of thing and am only hyperbolically role-playing the sensitive person's argument to get my point across, but I do want you to phantom the hypocrisy I see when reading your comments in this thread.

That said, I'm very happy to see this down-to-earth discussion of what could have ended up as a Velvet Hammer thread. Nice job, peeps. :group:
UglyCasanova

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby imJonWain » Sat Dec 09, 2017 8:20 am

I'm gonna also throw out, It'd be cool if you carried 1/4" mono to 1/4" mono couplers. I dunno if there is enough demand to justify it to you but neutrik sells them pretty cheap.
"To my lay mind, the lobster's behavior in the kettle appears to be the expression of a preference; and it may well be that an ability to form preferences is the decisive criterion for real suffering."
http://www.TFRelectronics.com <project info
https://oshpark.com/profiles/TFRelectronics <oshpark shared boards
https://www.staticdisaster.com/ <my radio show
imJonWain

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby crochambeau » Sat Dec 09, 2017 11:39 am

UglyCasanova wrote:
crochambeau wrote:

Bold statements? I dunno, I feel like I'm being both tame and polite...

You are indeed polite and tame, but your are also being a little hypocritical. I'm just saying that your statements on social progression through language fire right back at you in some sense here. Take my one-word editing here, for example:

crochambeau wrote:If you consider the word "[doper]" it is difficult to find applications in anything but demeaning or derogatory manners.

I too have "seen things" (and experienced them), and while I'm not sensitive to this sort of thing (language), this is where I could talk about my friends who now live on the street or the two who have actually died from substance abuse and how you chose to make money (although I know you probably didn't because those were some cheap kick ass fuzz pedals!) by picking a "cool" and "edgy" name with total disregard to both my struggling and dead friends. Not only that, you slapped on a "Dirty" in front of it as well. I'm not trying to start anything here, as I'm really not offended by this sort of thing and am only hyperbolically role-playing the sensitive person's argument to get my point across, but I do want you to phantom the hypocrisy I see when reading your comments in this thread.

That said, I'm very happy to see this down-to-earth discussion of what could have ended up as a Velvet Hammer thread. Nice job, peeps. :group:

Point taken.

I do feel obliged to point out that it seems like the basis of the "re-shaming" here automatically assumes that the choice of name is not self directed. ...and before anyone freaks out about protracted wait times and missing deadlines while I have some of your money: the last time I used heroin was spring of the year 2000 and all my delays are due to crippling standards coupled with my own brand of poor or inefficient design (from the EE p.o.v., not the actual results p.o.v.).

To echo eatyourguitar's sentiment, I feel there's a lot of exhaustion in the face of the social justice warrior explosion because very wide brushes are being used to redefine the baseline of what is considered universally acceptable (never mind that we're all individuals for a moment), and since we're all sort of making this up as we go it's a messy process and a lot of internal biases are being thrown around as well. The result is an unfocused over-all spasm of human endeavor that at worst case basis could result in conditions worse off than those we currently enjoy - but for the most part progress toward better conditions are being met. Based on the two examples cited on this thread here are the criteria by which I personally endeavor to hold myself for the betterment and hopefully continued survival of our species:

1) Gender (be it identity or by birth) is none of my business and I try my best to tailor my thought/speech patterns and word choices to remain a firm neutral while striving to cultivate an all inclusive atmosphere on this. That includes a feeling of discomfort when processing language that carries a ratio of misogynistic context, which is the root of my original stated (albeit gentle) criticism on this thread (before I knew this had become an already resolved observation).

2) Filth is sort of a spectrum. It ranges from dead on balls lifestyle choice to deeply unfortunate circumstances. In my opinion, filth is really more of a side effect or a product of the erosion of a given situation. There's a pretty large subset of people who associate filth with negativity, and therefore there's another subset of people who elect to intentionally wallow in filth in order to differentiate themselves from the first class of people. While true, filth CAN be a choice, it remains undeniable that many are dirty through no direct decision of their own, and that state of filth - or being dirty clings to them against their wishes. The difference here, between filth and gender - is that one is a constantly shifting state that affects us all, and the other is a deeply held point of personal identity. I will further claim, that one has probably not truly experienced the absolute joy of bathing until one has gone a very long time without, I recommend getting dirty to EVERYONE. Celebrate it. Dirt is reversible, it's also a term widely applied to equipment that reproduces or processes audio.

3) Doper. This can be a sticky can of worms, and it's hard to address in a specific manner, because there really is a wide range of typically unfortunate circumstances that usher in the state of using dope (furthermore, there's a range of definition on that particular word, but we'll just jump to worst case for brevity sake). I grant that boiling a situational state down to an identifying term is derogatory - That is to say "Superman is huffing uranium oxide again" is considerably more respectful than saying "Superman is a user", because the latter statement redefines Superman in a way that strips away identity whereas the former does not. THAT SAID there is a transition point in the use of compounds that alter the mental make up of the individual using them in which you trade one thing for another. It is a highly subtle process that goes unnoticed without a set of personally identifiable indicators on hand. For me, personally, it was my work (primarily painting) that threw the flag - you use to amplify certain skills/emotions but at some point said skills/emotions become reliant on use. It happens with everything... and I feel it is safe to point at that particular shift and state "beyond this point you are no longer Superman, you are user now, doper." Dirty Doper. Given the context, it becomes respectful to Superman to apply the Doper label when Superman has descended to the point at which they are stealing stuff in the dead of night to pay for another chance to greet slow or fast death underneath a bridge. I would rather exert my SJW tendencies toward undoing circumstances and running processes that accelerated Superman's demise. I'll call Superman a Dirty Doper in an unflinching acceptance of the situation instead of tarnishing the memory of Superman. It's tragic, yes, but I see no value in redefining the holes that we as a people can fall into without instead striving to fill them up.

Anyway, I grant that Dirty Doper carries disrespectful context. I feel like my application of that name weighed against my former posts on this thread is only neatly hypocritical when observed at a narrow depth of field though.

I also have plans to release a build named "The Stumbling Drunk" in the future, I'm guessing I probably don't need to go as in depth of my defense on that one, right? :picard:

Yes, I fall into hypocritical patterns. I'd also probably change the name of the Dirty Doper to something different if production was scaled up into the hundreds instead of a largely one at a time gig, it's an acquired taste you see.

Apologies on the continued derail, if you want to pick me apart further I can start the thread elsewhere (just PM me) - thanks.
I've got to get off my ass and bring to reality that what has been quoted through existence.

Reverb storefront
Shark Tank
crochambeau

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby crochambeau » Sat Dec 09, 2017 11:47 am

In reading that I sound a touch flustered and defensive, no worries - this is still fun.

:group:

Reverb storefront
Shark Tank
crochambeau

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby Chankgeez » Sat Dec 09, 2017 11:48 am

crochambeau wrote:
I also have plans to release a build named "The Stumbling Drunk" in the future, I'm guessing I probably don't need to go as in depth of my defense on that one, right? :picard:

Just don't step on Mr. Black's toes with your graphics :lol: :

psychic vampire. wrote:The important take away from this thread: Taoism and Ring Modulators go together?
…...........................…
Sweet dealin's: here
"Now, of course, Strega is not a Minimoog… and I am not Sun Ra" - dude from MAKENOISE
#GreenRinger
Chankgeez

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Location: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FGhbeHujNZQ youtube.com/watch?v=V-2l7kkBURc

Postby crochambeau » Sat Dec 09, 2017 12:44 pm

:lol:

I try not to puke down the front of anyone else's shirt, but you know, accidents can happen. :!!!:

Reverb storefront
Shark Tank
crochambeau

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby UglyCasanova » Sat Dec 09, 2017 6:25 pm

That was a good reply. I have nothing to counter or add to that. Cheers! :thumb:
UglyCasanova

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby wafl » Mon Dec 18, 2017 8:20 pm

@Lawrence

OMG I just noticed your email on the order confirmation email. So adorable!
wafl

experienced
experienced

Postby lawrence scaduto » Tue Dec 19, 2017 12:07 am

wafl wrote:@Lawrence

OMG I just noticed your email on the order confirmation email. So adorable!
:hug:
I make Pedalshttp://ohnoho.com
I sell pedal parts http://bitcheslovemyswitches.com
thinking of PMing? email lawrence at ohnoho dot com for the quickest response
lawrence scaduto

committed
committed

Postby Ben79 » Wed Dec 20, 2017 8:36 am

I personally love all the, often low brow poetry that's grown out of the pedal building world.

And the Dirty Doper I always thought of something that dopes, as in taints, pollutes the signal being run through it. I would credit anyone with the skills and inclination to pursue the creation of such an object with more nous than to just slap some crude name on it.
Ben79

experienced
experienced

Previous

Return to DIY Effects