DIY shout out!

Moderator: Ghost Hip

Forum rules
The DIY forum is for personal projects (things that are not for sale, not in production), info sharing, peer to peer assistance. No backdoor spamming (DIY posts that are actually advertisements for your business). No clones of in-production pedals. If you have concerns or questions, feel free to PM admin. Thanks so much!

DIY shout out!

Postby Flammysnake » Sun Nov 05, 2017 11:51 am

I just wanted to give a shout out to Lawrence and Rebecca at Bitches Love My Switches. I placed my first order a few weeks ago. Just needed some dc outlets for some pedals I hadn’t finished, figured I would grab some pots while I was at it, to justify the shipping. Two days later I had it all. Everything I ordered, fast shipping, no screw ups? Must have been a fluke. So this past week I made another order of a few odds and ends. Just some footswitches, some pcbs, some knobs. A few days later, everything arrives. Oops I forgot to pick up some enclosures. Placed two orders in one week. Got them both by Saturday.

These guys have the best prices, aren’t selling things that aren’t in stock, and are shipping out the day they get the order. That doesn’t sound like much, but they are literally the only company I haven’t had any issues with at all. And some sweet free stickers. I have no association with them besides buying things from them. And that is something I will keep doing as long as they’re in the business!
Flammysnake

uncommitted
uncommitted

Re: DIY shout out!

Postby crochambeau » Sun Nov 05, 2017 12:18 pm

Yeah, I have cut an order in the afternoon and had it delivered the next day (I'm in the same state, but still..). I'm also delighted to see they're stocking some higher quality parts in addition to the lowest possible price class stock (which I avoid for reasons, regardless of distributor). You get what you pay for applies to them as well as any other, and I've observed faults with some offerings but in conversation with Lawrence via email over an issue his response was prompt and concerned.

I'll admit I cringe a little at the name of the company, but beyond that it's a no bullshit gig for sure.
I've got to get off my ass and bring to reality that what has been quoted through existence.

Rochambeau Musical Apparatus
Reverb storefront
Shark Tank
crochambeau

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby BetterOffShred » Sun Nov 05, 2017 1:41 pm

I got my order yesterday from them. It had a lollipop in it, which my son promptly stole! Oh well I still got the goods. They ship fast and their selection is great.

I agree with all of this, except cringing about the name. I bought like 20 stickers. Muahaha
BetterOffShred

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby spacelordmother » Tue Nov 07, 2017 8:05 am

crochambeau wrote:I'll admit I cringe a little at the name of the company, but beyond that it's a no bullshit gig for sure.

Since you brought it up — I actually don’t buy from them because of it.
spacelordmother

HERO
HERO

Postby culturejam » Tue Nov 07, 2017 9:17 am

spacelordmother wrote:Since you brought it up — I actually don’t buy from them because of it.

I wouldn't have named my parts business that (I actually named mine something else entirely...way back), but I wouldn't let a silly name stop me from getting the goods. I would even buy from a shop called "Buying From Us Means You Accept Jesus Christ As Your Personal Lord and Savior Pedal Parts" if they had what I needed at a reasonable price with good service. :lol:

What specifically about the name offends you enough to not patronize them?
Disclaimer #1: Co-Founder, Product Developer at Function f(x).
Disclaimer #3: I do sporadic, infrequent contract work for Black Arts Toneworks
Check out my photo gear on the cheap site: Tight Camera
culturejam

Supporter
Supporter

Postby BetterOffShred » Tue Nov 07, 2017 10:08 am

culturejam wrote:
spacelordmother wrote:Since you brought it up — I actually don’t buy from them because of it.

I wouldn't have named my parts business that (I actually named mine something else entirely...way back), but I wouldn't let a silly name stop me from getting the goods. I would even buy from a shop called "Buying From Us Means You Accept Jesus Christ As Your Personal Lord and Savior Pedal Parts" if they had what I needed at a reasonable price with good service. :lol:

What specifically about the name offends you enough to not patronize them?

:lol:
I don't go to hobby lobby because of their bananas religious implications, which I don't think we should go into here.

Also, Lawrence changed his domain name and I'd wager he's probably going to slide right Into "Love my switches" simply dropping the Bitches from his game. And that's totally cool with me. I really do like his style. He doesn't fuck around, does what he promises with shipping and his prices are fantastic. I will continue to use him as stated above. I'm a happy customer.
BetterOffShred

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby crochambeau » Tue Nov 07, 2017 10:11 am

culturejam wrote:I would even buy from a shop called "Buying From Us Means You Accept Jesus Christ As Your Personal Lord and Savior Pedal Parts" if they had what I needed at a reasonable price with good service. :lol:

I'd honestly balk at that one. They would have to offer an incredible savings, and in my imaginary eye I don't think I'd be able to stomach their web design long enough to determine the savings. I also don't like hypodermic needles, if anyone is interested in things that give me the heebie jeebies.

I get spacelordmother's angle. If you consider the word "bitch" it is difficult to find applications in anything but demeaning or derogatory manners. I realize it (the BLMS name) is a play on words swapping out stitches for switches, but even that one liner (was it a movie? is it a joke? I do not remember the specific origin) is couched in a less than equal framework. In short, I feel complicit in supporting the perpetuation of sexist language while I generally endeavor to cultivate equality. It's the whole voting with dollars thing.

Now if Lawrence built a mirror site named Scaduto's Parts Bazaar or something else neutrally goofy that referenced the same database, I'd happily go there instead.

The service levels are top notch though, and that alone has retained my business.
I've got to get off my ass and bring to reality that what has been quoted through existence.

Reverb storefront
Shark Tank
crochambeau

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby culturejam » Tue Nov 07, 2017 10:22 am

I guess in my circle of people, "bitch" is a general term for "people". For example, I can't tell you how many times I've been at a gathering of some sort and somebody shows up late and announces their entrance with "How are all you bitches doing tonight??!?!?" They aren't just addressing the women in the room pejoratively, they are talking to everyone in a friendly tone. It's kind like saying, "My motherfucker!" to a friend. You're not actually insinuating that they are fornicating with their direct forebears, it's just an term of endearment.

I never thought that Lawrence was trying demean women. I can't speak for him, but I'm 99.9% sure he just means, "I got the good stuff" with the name "Bitches Love My Switches".

But maybe I'm way off base all around.
culturejam

Supporter
Supporter

Postby crochambeau » Tue Nov 07, 2017 10:48 am

culturejam wrote:But maybe I'm way off base all around.

Nah, I don't think you're off base.

I also don't interpret his business as being intentionally disrespectful to women, or I wouldn't support it.

I even get the joke, and hear you on its use in a general and friendly manner (though this must be regional dialect because I don't hear it personally).

I'm just increasingly incapable of compartmentalizing anything. So you say ________ and I'll see the good and the bad in so far as I am able. I'm usually pretty good at gleaning the context, but even that gets dicey. So no matter how I slice it I cannot escape noting the detrimental aspects of terminology and am therefore selective. Sensitive, maybe, but I've seen things.

Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion.

Reverb storefront
Shark Tank
crochambeau

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby BetterOffShred » Tue Nov 07, 2017 11:47 am

I support any Bladerunner references
BetterOffShred

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby spacelordmother » Tue Nov 07, 2017 12:04 pm

crochambeau wrote:If you consider the word "bitch" it is difficult to find applications in anything but demeaning or derogatory manners. I realize it (the BLMS name) is a play on words swapping out stitches for switches, but even that one liner (was it a movie? is it a joke? I do not remember the specific origin) is couched in a less than equal framework. In short, I feel complicit in supporting the perpetuation of sexist language while I generally endeavor to cultivate equality. It's the whole voting with dollars thing.

Pretty much this. Even if it's not malicious (and I really doubt that it is) it's still careless. There are smarter ways to be clever.
spacelordmother

HERO
HERO

Postby culturejam » Tue Nov 07, 2017 5:56 pm

spacelordmother wrote: There are smarter ways to be clever.

I agree that there are more publicly acceptable ways of being clever with a business name. No argument here. :)
culturejam

Supporter
Supporter

Postby morange » Tue Nov 07, 2017 7:04 pm

Bitches Love My Attack Ships
morange

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby culturejam » Tue Nov 07, 2017 7:52 pm

morange wrote:Bitches Love My Attack Ships

:lol:
culturejam

Supporter
Supporter

Postby wafl » Fri Nov 10, 2017 1:08 am

Holy shit the website changed.
I have the blms sticker on my guitar and the music coordinator at the radio station I volunteer at was like, Do bitches really love your switches tho?
Which is a good question I think.

edit: shit I lost my cartful of goodies
wafl

experienced
experienced

Next

Return to DIY Effects