i was like to build a basic synth/ocillator for a black flye

Moderator: Ghost Hip

Forum rules
The DIY forum is for personal projects (things that are not for sale, not in production), info sharing, peer to peer assistance. No backdoor spamming (DIY posts that are actually advertisements for your business). No clones of in-production pedals. If you have concerns or questions, feel free to PM admin. Thanks so much!

i was like to build a basic synth/ocillator for a black flye

Postby Confuzzled » Mon Oct 23, 2017 10:13 pm

i love the mods i’m seeing for the black fly on want to build my own but would like to add an oscillator with maybe a photo resistor. any places a noob could go to get some basic plans and try to marry it ask togethee?
Confuzzled

experienced
experienced

Re: i was like to build a basic synth/ocillator for a black

Postby BetterOffShred » Tue Oct 24, 2017 9:49 am

There's lots of cool DIY oscillator schematics/layouts available out there. I think Atari Punk Console is super easy to build with some 555 chips (there's a version that uses a 556 instead of 2x555's as well I believe) and then get you a 5549 or similar LDR to choke a part of the circuit, I'd recommend breadboarding it. I am currently building a Ken Stone Psycho LFO for use in a delay, you may want to check that one out too. I don't think its capable of making it's own signal though like the APC. I'm not really an expert on these things, but it sounds like we're both interested in the same stuff here, so I figured I'd toss in what I've been looking at! :joy:

I'm planning on building a 1590G box "black fly" type noise maker sooner or later, finally got my contact mics. I may try and parallel two mics to see how it works in the longer box. UglyCasanova's build youtube video really inspired me. :drool:
BetterOffShred

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Confuzzled » Fri Oct 27, 2017 9:37 am

BetterOffShred wrote:There's lots of cool DIY oscillator schematics/layouts available out there. I think Atari Punk Console is super easy to build with some 555 chips (there's a version that uses a 556 instead of 2x555's as well I believe) and then get you a 5549 or similar LDR to choke a part of the circuit, I'd recommend breadboarding it. I am currently building a Ken Stone Psycho LFO for use in a delay, you may want to check that one out too. I don't think its capable of making it's own signal though like the APC. I'm not really an expert on these things, but it sounds like we're both interested in the same stuff here, so I figured I'd toss in what I've been looking at! :joy:

I'm planning on building a 1590G box "black fly" type noise maker sooner or later, finally got my contact mics. I may try and parallel two mics to see how it works in the longer box. UglyCasanova's build youtube video really inspired me. :drool:

Agreed, but I'm looking for site recommendations to buy easy kits for noobs. Half of what you wrote (if not more) went completely over my head. I want a kit with an ikea like instruction manual that I can play around with and see where it gets me. 556, 2x555's means nothing to me. :picard: Me slow.
Confuzzled

experienced
experienced

Postby crochambeau » Fri Oct 27, 2017 10:42 am

Confuzzled wrote:
BetterOffShred wrote:There's lots of cool DIY oscillator schematics/layouts available out there. I think Atari Punk Console is super easy to build with some 555 chips (there's a version that uses a 556 instead of 2x555's as well I believe) and then get you a 5549 or similar LDR to choke a part of the circuit, I'd recommend breadboarding it. I am currently building a Ken Stone Psycho LFO for use in a delay, you may want to check that one out too. I don't think its capable of making it's own signal though like the APC. I'm not really an expert on these things, but it sounds like we're both interested in the same stuff here, so I figured I'd toss in what I've been looking at! :joy:

Agreed, but I'm looking for site recommendations to buy easy kits for noobs. Half of what you wrote (if not more) went completely over my head. I want a kit with an ikea like instruction manual that I can play around with and see where it gets me. 556, 2x555's means nothing to me. :picard: Me slow.

I'd start here: https://www.jameco.com/z/KIT-APC-Forres ... 55487.html

I believe you can find a pdf of that Forrest Mims 555 application notebook they refer to, it's decent reading. There are, of course, projects beyond the 555, but if you're JUST STARTING OUT it is a very forgiving part that has a huge amount of documentation.
I've got to get off my ass and bring to reality that what has been quoted through existence.

Rochambeau Musical Apparatus
Reverb storefront
Shark Tank
crochambeau

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby Bartimaeus » Sun Oct 29, 2017 3:14 pm

This might be worth a look (it's another simple 555 osc): http://store.synthrotek.com/555_Timer_Oscillator_Kit
Bartimaeus

experienced
experienced

Postby crochambeau » Sun Oct 29, 2017 4:49 pm

Bartimaeus wrote:This might be worth a look (it's another simple 555 osc): http://store.synthrotek.com/555_Timer_Oscillator_Kit

Synthrotek has some ethical issues according to a recent public melt down and reports by people who have worked there in the past. So if you're someone who prefers spending money along paths that you deem beneficial I'd recommend having a peek at the trainwreck and forming up your decision from there.
I've got to get off my ass and bring to reality that what has been quoted through existence.

Rochambeau Musical Apparatus
Reverb storefront
Shark Tank
crochambeau

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby Bartimaeus » Thu Nov 02, 2017 3:38 am

crochambeau wrote:
Bartimaeus wrote:This might be worth a look (it's another simple 555 osc): http://store.synthrotek.com/555_Timer_Oscillator_Kit

Synthrotek has some ethical issues according to a recent public melt down and reports by people who have worked there in the past. So if you're someone who prefers spending money along paths that you deem beneficial I'd recommend having a peek at the trainwreck and forming up your decision from there.

I'd heard some sketchy things about them in the past, but nothing as bad as this O.O I really regret having recommended one of their products!
Bartimaeus

experienced
experienced

Postby ibarakishi » Mon Nov 06, 2017 10:16 am

crochambeau wrote:

i had no idea about this. That was a brutal read through
good deals/trades/business with: JonnyAngle, rdw102, crochambeau, worra, $harkToootth, Olin, fuzzonaut, friendship, ianmarks, digi2t
ibarakishi

experienced
experienced

Return to DIY Effects