B.o.S. builds a Gristleizer

Moderator: Ghost Hip

Forum rules
The DIY forum is for personal projects (things that are not for sale, not in production), info sharing, peer to peer assistance. No backdoor spamming (DIY posts that are actually advertisements for your business). No clones of in-production pedals. If you have concerns or questions, feel free to PM admin. Thanks so much!

Re: B.o.S. builds a Gristleizer

Postby BetterOffShred » Tue Sep 26, 2017 2:24 pm

That's cool! Knots are pretty good looking. Honestly I was thinking about like a slab of meat or something horrible.. but now that you mention it, something classy might be better
BetterOffShred

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Invisible Man » Tue Sep 26, 2017 2:26 pm

D.o.S. wrote:Also I am not a troll how dare you

I thought we had established you were a librarian who has eye strain from all the rolling.
The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents.

https://soundcloud.com/invisible-man-music
https://bradromans.bandcamp.com/album/figures
Invisible Man

Zen of BILF
Zen of BILF

Postby BetterOffShred » Tue Sep 26, 2017 2:49 pm

When I heard about this effect I went out and listened to some Throbbing Gristle, they had audio of all kinds of crazy shit going on with whatever they were doing. Apparently they had actual audio of some kidnapped people begging for mercy and stuff before they were murdered. Totally bananas. As such this pedal has always had a really dark feel and mental implications in my mind. I like that you can keep the volume offboard and really punish amps with it too. It has a ton of gain. I'm not trying to be artsy and lame, I'm just nodding to where it came from and how it became popular. I'd like a graphic that fits the bill
BetterOffShred

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby comesect2.0 » Tue Sep 26, 2017 3:50 pm

Now while building it you can have an off project of constructing an echo chamber like a sewer drain cylinder to cram yourself in, like an orgone accumulator .. while letting the lfo fluctuate you can sit in meditation full blast until you throw up...that was just one of the initiatory practice hurdles in being a member of TG.
comesect2.0

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby BetterOffShred » Tue Sep 26, 2017 7:12 pm

And here we go :joy:
Attachments
20170926_161054-744x744.jpg
BetterOffShred

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby BetterOffShred » Tue Sep 26, 2017 7:39 pm

Done with all the resistors and diodes. The original called for 1N34A's.. and I luckily had 4 stashed. Booya! Having never soldered to a PCB I'm surprised how easy it is. My weller has a fine tip so it's going quick and neat, all that practice on crappy veroboard..
Attachments
20170926_163609-744x744.jpg
BetterOffShred

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby BetterOffShred » Tue Sep 26, 2017 8:00 pm

Well the stuff that mounts to the board is done, so it's all offboard wiring now. I'm going to "squid" it up and try it out since I can't drill the box tonight anyway.
Attachments
20170926_165749-744x744.jpg
BetterOffShred

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby LaoWiz » Tue Sep 26, 2017 8:42 pm

That's a great board. I've built it several times and was playing mine a few days ago. I remember on the first version I had, I hadn't followed the procedure in the build doc to set the trim pots. It still work fine but think the VCF settings were a bit off. But on the the VCA setting in one of the modes I wasn't getting any tremolo at all but just the greatest sounding distortion ever. Super fun pedal, mine gets ticking when bias is at max so worth doing that mod with the 10uf cap on a switch.
LaoWiz

Supporter
Supporter

Postby BetterOffShred » Tue Sep 26, 2017 8:59 pm

Cool man! I'm definitely going to use shielded input and output cables inside as well possibly try a TL062 and LM324 if it ticks. It's also apparently a function of how well you have the trimmers set so I'll be exploring that too
BetterOffShred

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby BetterOffShred » Tue Sep 26, 2017 9:31 pm

Well it works :joy:

It does tick, and I haven't been able to dial in the wave shapes. And I hooked the pots all up backwards... but it works!
So yeah some fine tuning now
Attachments
20170926_182925-744x744.jpg
BetterOffShred

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby DannDubbleEwe » Tue Sep 26, 2017 10:36 pm

:thumb: such a good circuit and that PCB is great.
DannDubbleEwe

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby BetterOffShred » Wed Sep 27, 2017 12:56 am

Yeah I am really excited to get it working properly. It's not behaving correctly now at all - it has chop, but the wave shapes are almost indistinguishable atm, so its going to need some asjudting. I'll try and troubleshoot it after work tomorrow.
BetterOffShred

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby D.o.S. » Wed Sep 27, 2017 4:56 am

BetterOffShred wrote:I'm not trying to be artsy and lame, I'm just nodding to where it came from and how it became popular. I'd like a graphic that fits the bill

Maybe check out Chris Carter's website? Or the various bits of social media that Sleazy left behind before he died?

Ofc you're likely to end up with a magickal Thai teen dancing disco as your graphic.
good deals are here.
escapecraft is here.
UglyCasanova wrote: It's not the expensive programs you use, it's the way you click and drag.

Achtane wrote:
comesect2.0 wrote:Michael Jackson king tut little Richard in your butt.

IT'S THE ENNNND OF THE WORRRLD AS WE KNOW IT
D.o.S.

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby comesect2.0 » Wed Sep 27, 2017 8:56 am

Talked to Chris while ago said he was releasing a euro version of his own, should be out now, but no chance on any tabletop pedals from him...edit/yep
http://gristleizer.com/ soundsdope....really cut it up this time...5 different components! wahh :eek: :erm:
comesect2.0

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby LaoWiz » Wed Sep 27, 2017 12:03 pm

BetterOffShred wrote:Cool man! I'm definitely going to use shielded input and output cables inside as well possibly try a TL062 and LM324 if it ticks. It's also apparently a function of how well you have the trimmers set so I'll be exploring that too

The ticking doesn't actually bother me too much but you could add the optional 10uf cap at the top right hand of the board but i would put it on a switch to take it in and out. Check out the Building the Gristleizer thread at diystompboxes as there's lots of good trouble shooting info there but maybe you just need to fuck with the trims to get there. Super fun one for sure....
LaoWiz

Supporter
Supporter

PreviousNext

Return to DIY Effects