B.o.S. builds a Gristleizer

Moderator: Ghost Hip

Forum rules
The DIY forum is for personal projects (things that are not for sale, not in production), info sharing, peer to peer assistance. No backdoor spamming (DIY posts that are actually advertisements for your business). No clones of in-production pedals. If you have concerns or questions, feel free to PM admin. Thanks so much!

Re: B.o.S. builds a Gristleizer

Postby BetterOffShred » Thu Sep 28, 2017 9:21 pm

Oh! I also went and snagged my drill press so this may actually get boxed this weekend! Huzzah
BetterOffShred

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby BetterOffShred » Thu Sep 28, 2017 10:13 pm

I've been spending some time with this little lady, and it just keeps getting better and better. The bias knob is a lot of fun. You can pull it back from the deep so it swells rather than trems.. the wave shapes all chop gloriously. Man I love this. I really do want to get some time with an oscilloscope to make sure my shapes are all centered but I may have to go beg in the meter department at work.
BetterOffShred

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby BetterOffShred » Sun Oct 01, 2017 2:28 am

I got my J113's and tried the Gristleizer with one and it wasn't so bad. I liked the 2N3819. I think everything else is basically inaudible differences. I upped the speed cap to an 860n so it gets really slow now. I think I may also try a B10k for speed pot. It just seems to bunch up at the end. All personal preference stuff
BetterOffShred

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby comesect2.0 » Wed Oct 04, 2017 10:23 am

bah-ump, whats the word bird?

hows commin? heres a little sumptin.
comesect2.0

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby BetterOffShred » Wed Oct 04, 2017 10:36 am

I got all the values picked out, and got my drill press down at the house now, so really I'm just trying to find some time to try the Pins 4 - 11 electro De-tick cap mod before I box it up. I got the waveshape and offset trimmed really good now, and it sounds pretty amazing for not having a scope. I have a few toolboxes with different electronics "Kits" in them and I unpacked my amp box which has all my shielded wire in it, so I can shield input/output to/from the stompswitch. I also have been fooling around with printing shipping labels for graphics, but honestly I think the Gristleizer is going to get sharpie in the spirit of the project. I really need to get a little microphone for my phone so I can record decent audio for demo's .. It sounds great!

Edit: By picked out the values, I mean I put a bigger speed cap in, and I fooled around with the diodes a bit and tried a bunch of different FET's and opamps. I settled on the TL074, 2N3819, 1N34A's, and currently I have a TL072 in the double spot, though I just got some NE5532's I want to try before I box it, they tend to be very low noise, and I want to try the TL062 low current Double again now that I have the wave shapes dialed in. Only the square wave ticks currently. The other three shapes sound fantastic and with the Outboard Bias knob you can really go from Subtle to Crushing waves of mayhem.

Also.. I totally made a 3-knob clone of the Soundwave Breakdown and tested different transistors forever, like literally 3 days (while I was looking for work after graduation) and finally got it pretty close to the production unit. I love that pedal so much. Great video :joy: I know I was supposed to be looking at the Gristleizer! haha

I built a little reverb pedal this weekend instead of boxing the Gristleizer.. but my Belton Brick came in and I'd never used one so I had to get down.
BetterOffShred

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby BetterOffShred » Thu Oct 05, 2017 12:19 am

So I three the LM324 back in, tried that, and it seems to have better wave shapes all around. Then I tried the TL062 leaving the LM324 in and that sounds really good. I'm leaving it. I'm pretty lazy at auditioning a bunch of parts, and once it sounds good I usually give up.

Drilled the box and started putting it all in, finished boxing my little reverb and fooled around with it a bit.

Now I just have to find a couple colors of Sharpie I like and then go for it. I'm going to try and really shorten up all the wires too, trying to cut out the tick of the square wave. The cap across pins 4 - 11 did nothing.
BetterOffShred

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby BetterOffShred » Sun Oct 22, 2017 11:41 am

I literally left this sitting on my work bench for the last couple weeks, and built a Skyripper and a Sonic Titan variation, and finally built a box for my Pharaoh. I should probably get off my ass and box it up since I already drilled the box and everything. I'm just being lazy.
BetterOffShred

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby crochambeau » Sun Oct 22, 2017 11:44 am

BetterOffShred wrote:I already drilled the box and everything. I'm just being lazy.

You now owe us completed pictures by end of day today. :poke:
I've got to get off my ass and bring to reality that what has been quoted through existence.

Rochambeau Musical Apparatus
Reverb storefront
Shark Tank
crochambeau

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby BetterOffShred » Sun Oct 22, 2017 12:11 pm

crochambeau wrote:
BetterOffShred wrote:I already drilled the box and everything. I'm just being lazy.

You now owe us completed pictures by end of day today. :poke:

It's bad how lazy I've been with this build.
Attachments
20171022_090928-744x744.jpg
BetterOffShred

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby comesect2.0 » Sun Oct 22, 2017 2:57 pm

:cry: This saddens me. :cry:
540u1d,4aV3,u2ed,@W3d63,..0r,7aB13,70PR@€Kenclosure...
comesect2.0

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby BetterOffShred » Tue Oct 24, 2017 10:03 pm

Well I finished my Skyripper. It's pretty much tits. I love this thing. It does bananas sounds and still rips a good smooth fuzz :joy:
Attachments
20171024_182912-744x744.jpg
BetterOffShred

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Previous

Return to DIY Effects