Cheap Chinese Laser Engravers are Fun

Moderator: Ghost Hip

Forum rules
The DIY forum is for personal projects (things that are not for sale, not in production), info sharing, peer to peer assistance. No backdoor spamming (DIY posts that are actually advertisements for your business). No clones of in-production pedals. If you have concerns or questions, feel free to PM admin. Thanks so much!

Re: Cheap Chinese Laser Engravers are Fun

Postby culturejam » Sun Oct 22, 2017 2:01 pm

^^ Nice!
Disclaimer #1: Co-Founder, Product Developer at Function f(x).
Disclaimer #3: I do sporadic, infrequent contract work for Black Arts Toneworks
Check out my photo gear on the cheap site: Tight Camera
culturejam

Supporter
Supporter

Postby imJonWain » Sun Oct 22, 2017 5:59 pm

That's really nice cuts! I got lucky with that particular pedal, the next 2 I tried game out with a weird/bad raster type effect to them, no clue why either haha...
"To my lay mind, the lobster's behavior in the kettle appears to be the expression of a preference; and it may well be that an ability to form preferences is the decisive criterion for real suffering."
http://www.TFRelectronics.com <project info
https://oshpark.com/profiles/TFRelectronics <oshpark shared boards
https://www.staticdisaster.com/ <my radio show
imJonWain

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby multi_s » Sun Oct 22, 2017 8:15 pm

imJonWain wrote:That's really nice cuts! I got lucky with that particular pedal, the next 2 I tried game out with a weird/bad raster type effect to them, no clue why either haha...

hmm maybe you need to rise the resolution of the engraving? i probably can;t be of much help but on the one i got the software basically has 2 machining operations. "cut" which makes the laser follow the path of the lines of the graphic (ie to cut out a shape), and "engrave" which actually scans line per line and draws the lines of the graphics in rasters which you must specify the resolution of/guess the beam diameter to get good results. i would imagine even for doing text on a pedal you would actually use "cut" even though you are not cutting anything per se. Im sure your machines software is much better and not the same but i just though of it when you said raster effect, maybe your machine has different machining operations, ie some that don;t draw the graphic raster by raster. the dog trophy image in wood above was done by rasters but we put the res really high because we had no idea what we were doing and just wanted to see something happen. I can imagine though if the resolution was too low and the laser beam quite fine that you might have gaps between the rasters etc.

working with machines is always a good time though and never at all frustrating right? ;)

keep on trucking. and put some knobs on that thing jeez.
multi_s

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby imJonWain » Wed Oct 25, 2017 7:02 pm

you would think it has some awesome software but our etcher/engraver actually runs off printer drivers so you can use whatever software really but to position it correctly you need to use something like Solidworks or Inkscape/Corel Draw/Illustrator to be able to position your "art" on the bed. I've been using Solidworks which isn't really good for this so I am learning Inkscape to use that so I hopefully can make more adjustments. Getting the Z height right also takes some playing around.

Here's the semi botched second pedal I did. It looks a little better in Person.
37643303670_36da28cd87_o.jpg
37643303670_36da28cd87_o.jpg (188.18 KiB) Viewed 4032 times

Help me pick out some knobs for that acetone, none of the ones I have look "right".
"To my lay mind, the lobster's behavior in the kettle appears to be the expression of a preference; and it may well be that an ability to form preferences is the decisive criterion for real suffering."
http://www.TFRelectronics.com <project info
https://oshpark.com/profiles/TFRelectronics <oshpark shared boards
https://www.staticdisaster.com/ <my radio show
imJonWain

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby BetterOffShred » Wed Oct 25, 2017 11:17 pm

I think that looks great man. Nice job :thumb:
BetterOffShred

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby multi_s » Thu Oct 26, 2017 11:06 am

imJonWain wrote:you would think it has some awesome software but our etcher/engraver actually runs off printer drivers so you can use whatever software really but to position it correctly you need to use something like Solidworks or Inkscape/Corel Draw/Illustrator to be able to position your "art" on the bed. I've been using Solidworks which isn't really good for this so I am learning Inkscape to use that so I hopefully can make more adjustments. Getting the Z height right also takes some playing around.

Here's the semi botched second pedal I did. It looks a little better in Person.

Help me pick out some knobs for that acetone, none of the ones I have look "right".

Ah ok i can sort of see what you mean in that picture, the text looks a bit pixelated?

for knobs, maybe black chickenheads? something gothic.

i dig the layout on the booster above too.
multi_s

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby crochambeau » Thu Oct 26, 2017 1:45 pm

imJonWain wrote:Help me pick out some knobs for that acetone, none of the ones I have look "right".

What about these?

https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/TE ... oDq%2fk%3d
I've got to get off my ass and bring to reality that what has been quoted through existence.

Rochambeau Musical Apparatus
Reverb storefront
Shark Tank
crochambeau

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby multi_s » Thu Dec 07, 2017 4:30 pm

time to necrobump

how to align a lot of knobs very fast using cheap chinese laser cutter.

works as long as you remembered to turn the knobs fully ccw before applying.

multi_s

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby culturejam » Thu Dec 07, 2017 4:38 pm

^^ that's bad-ass!
Disclaimer #1: Co-Founder, Product Developer at Function f(x).
Disclaimer #3: I do sporadic, infrequent contract work for Black Arts Toneworks
Check out my photo gear on the cheap site: Tight Camera
culturejam

Supporter
Supporter

Postby BetterOffShred » Thu Dec 07, 2017 4:50 pm

Is that a PLL? :drool:
BetterOffShred

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Previous