Seriously tempted to build a pedal in this

Moderator: Ghost Hip

Forum rules
The DIY forum is for personal projects (things that are not for sale, not in production), info sharing, peer to peer assistance. No backdoor spamming (DIY posts that are actually advertisements for your business). No clones of in-production pedals. If you have concerns or questions, feel free to PM admin. Thanks so much!

Seriously tempted to build a pedal in this

Postby mathias » Sat Jul 01, 2017 12:21 pm

Not sure from the listing, but I bet it has a momentary switch. Not sure if it is the same size as regular stomp switch; but that'd determine whether I could change it to a latching switch.

I suppose I could always rehouse a Freeze in one. :LOL:
ILF Equipped :love:

skullservant wrote:You can like whatever you want so long as it makes you happy

Searching for that new sound.
If you can read this, then I'm back? :?:
mathias

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Re: Seriously tempted to build a pedal in this

Postby crochambeau » Sat Jul 01, 2017 12:29 pm

That would be awesome!

I wouldn't be surprised if it has an oddly mounted switch inside, I wired up something similar to run my drill press "hands free". It was a two bolt switch, not a panel or PCB mount. The upside is that there could be a ton or room to work with in there, because industrial actuator switches are designed for both abuse and current handling. Expect a little engineering to cobble something in, but if the price is right it would make a striking build.
I've got to get off my ass and bring to reality that what has been quoted through existence.

Rochambeau Musical Apparatus
Reverb storefront
Shark Tank
crochambeau

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby Chankgeez » Sat Jul 01, 2017 12:30 pm

psychic vampire. wrote:The important take away from this thread: Taoism and Ring Modulators go together?
…...........................…
Sweet dealin's: here
"Now, of course, Strega is not a Minimoog… and I am not Sun Ra" - dude from MAKENOISE
#GreenRinger
Chankgeez

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Location: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FGhbeHujNZQ youtube.com/watch?v=V-2l7kkBURc

Postby BetterOffShred » Tue Sep 26, 2017 1:45 pm

crochambeau wrote:That would be awesome!

I wouldn't be surprised if it has an oddly mounted switch inside, I wired up something similar to run my drill press "hands free". It was a two bolt switch, not a panel or PCB mount. The upside is that there could be a ton or room to work with in there, because industrial actuator switches are designed for both abuse and current handling. Expect a little engineering to cobble something in, but if the price is right it would make a striking build.

Dawg... hands free Drill press "On" ... :drool: I have needed this my whole life without even thinking about it! I'm totally making that happen for mine! Did you just use a momentary switch rated for 120V-240V (assuming your power) ? Pics!
BetterOffShred

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby crochambeau » Tue Sep 26, 2017 2:18 pm

Simply a momentary connecting the hot when depressed. Eventually I intend on having this wired into a bench switch that will enable/disable the foot switch function and also operate a warning light. As is, there are no safety lock-outs with this, so I have to be aware of what's going on. Okay for me alone, but if I ever have someone else working in the shop it'll have to have another layer of fool-proofing.

The switch is rated 10 amp at 120, 5 at 240 and I think 3 at 440. My drill is wired for 120 with a 1/4 HP motor pulling 5 amps. The rubber insulator is some old EPDM roll roofing material I scavenged while working in the construction industry.

Here you can see a bit of the structural engineering that went into this. The switch is a side screw mount and the enclosure was an odd base bracket mount thing that was terrible and had to go.

Hope that helps! It really does make drilling and stopping faster, you just can't let your mind wander...
I've got to get off my ass and bring to reality that what has been quoted through existence.

Reverb storefront
Shark Tank
crochambeau

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby BetterOffShred » Tue Sep 26, 2017 2:52 pm

Cool man, thanks for that. I was imaging a spring return blade switch basically. Yeah I end up lining something up for drilling and then reach up to flip it on, and my piece moved like 3" somehow.. fuuuu! I'm definitely going to build one of these. I'll have to look around for donor "treadle" style switch hosts.
BetterOffShred

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby digi2t » Wed Oct 04, 2017 2:39 pm

Most probably a momentary switch. These pedals usually serve for "dead man" switching, or safety applications.

You could use a latching bypass scheme in this case. Just add the circuitry to whatever you decide to put into it, and use all the original switching mechanics.
"Turn down the amp, strum harder." - PRR

http://www.deadendfx.com/
digi2t

experienced
experienced

Postby BetterOffShred » Wed Oct 04, 2017 4:21 pm

I think I have a Carling momentary switch rated for 240 VAC at like 10 amps or something in the toolbox somewhere. I mean even like a little pedal box with a simple stomp switch would work fine!
BetterOffShred

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby crochambeau » Wed Oct 04, 2017 5:08 pm

I think mine was a clipper foot switch in its former life: https://smile.amazon.com/Linemaster-Cli ... B002P55Y36

Reverb storefront
Shark Tank
crochambeau

IAMILF
IAMILF

Return to DIY Effects