Noise Ensemble

Moderator: Ghost Hip

Forum rules
The DIY forum is for personal projects (things that are not for sale, not in production), info sharing, peer to peer assistance. No backdoor spamming (DIY posts that are actually advertisements for your business). No clones of in-production pedals. If you have concerns or questions, feel free to PM admin. Thanks so much!

Noise Ensemble

Postby moid » Sun Jun 04, 2017 6:00 pm

Hi everyone

I finally finished a build of a pedal that combines the wondrous distorted/chorus/flange/octave sounds of the Noise Ensemble with a Mr Black Tiger Boost. Why? Because I like to mix some clean / dry guitar with my distorted guitar and it seemed like a good idea - mixing the two signals makes for a more interesting texture in my opinion. Plus I now have a pedal that can operate as a clean 20dB boost if I want it, or a mad slurry drunk pitch wobbling distortion if I feel like that instead. Those of you who want to read the details of how the circuit came about can look at my thread on DIYStompboxes: http://www.diystompboxes.com/smfforum/index.php?topic=117379.0

For those who just want to hear some delightfully odd sounds, watch the below:

Edit: Damn this link won't become a video! I've removed the s from https, was there anything else I was supposed to do? Here's a link to click on anyway:

http://youtu.be/IjlxY7x-3Qg
Last edited by moid on Sun Jun 04, 2017 8:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
moid

experienced
experienced

Re: Noise Ensemble

Postby Chankgeez » Sun Jun 04, 2017 6:25 pm

moid wrote:

Not only do you need to remove the "s", you need to remove this part as well: &feature=youtu.be

Sound great though, moid! :!!!:
psychic vampire. wrote:The important take away from this thread: Taoism and Ring Modulators go together?
…...........................…
Sweet dealin's: here
"Now, of course, Strega is not a Minimoog… and I am not Sun Ra" - dude from MAKENOISE
#GreenRinger
Chankgeez

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Location: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FGhbeHujNZQ youtube.com/watch?v=V-2l7kkBURc

Postby moid » Sun Jun 04, 2017 7:56 pm

Thanks very much :)... weird I thought I removed that bit? oh well... tried again, it works, thanks :)
moid

experienced
experienced

Postby baremountain » Mon Jun 05, 2017 1:45 pm

Cool stuff! I was actually just doing some reading about PT2399s (and ran into the Noise Ensemble schematic elsewhere) and was coming here to see if we had a PT2399 thread.
I'm gonna try to do something like the Noise Ensemble tonight, among a few other PT2399 experiments.
Inner Vegas wrote:I don't think anyone is Obama

#wheresthebirthcertificate #obamahoax

solo tunes:
completed works || loosey goosey releases
associated acts:
Raab Zamboni (fake jazz/real noise//sax, modular synth, editing, misc) || Field Guide (my best friends//sax on 2 tracks)

I make t-shirts, patches, koozies, buttons, CDs, sometimes tapes, and eventually i'll start working on pedals again. DM me for pricing!
baremountain

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby moid » Wed Jun 07, 2017 6:00 pm

Sounds cool - please post if you find some interesting circuits, I seem to have over ordered on PT2399s and have a bag of them waiting for weird thing to happen to them! I played around with a Pladask Elektrisk circuit last year that use PT2399 for very degraded noisy repeat effects - the discussion and schematics are in this thread: http://www.diystompboxes.com/smfforum/index.php?topic=112920.80
moid

experienced
experienced

Postby baremountain » Fri Jun 09, 2017 1:27 pm

Yeah for sure! I'm doing a fuzzy pitch garbled thing rn that's pretty similar to the Kompakt Kassette or maybe the Recovery Bad Comrade, which both use PT2399s. I'd like to get a look at the schematic for the BC because it's got an incredibly low parts count. You can definitely do momentary stutters and stuff with the PT, but I guess the challenge is narrowing down what you actually need. This circuit is proof that the 2399 has a gnarly gain potential in and of itself. There's a whole world of awesome stuff hidden within that little package.

I can send ya my device's design if you're looking for a fun project!

solo tunes:
associated acts:
Raab Zamboni (fake jazz/real noise//sax, modular synth, editing, misc) || Field Guide (my best friends//sax on 2 tracks)

I make t-shirts, patches, koozies, buttons, CDs, sometimes tapes, and eventually i'll start working on pedals again. DM me for pricing!
baremountain

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby moid » Tue Jun 13, 2017 8:14 pm

Yes please, I'd love to make something like a Kompakt Kassette / Recovery Bad Comrade - I didn't realise you could do stutters with a PT2399 :)
moid

experienced
experienced

Postby baremountain » Wed Jun 14, 2017 1:15 pm

Well, to be clear they're not clean/pristine stutters, and they do break down over time. Still working out some of the kinks in my design. I included a gain control, but the stutter is all but non-existent at low gain settings so I dunno how to compensate for that, unless I add another pole to my momentary switch that would temporarily max out the gain.
I see how people can spend months doing R&D on pedals now haha
But DM me your email, and I'll shoot you my schematic!

solo tunes:
associated acts:

baremountain

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby moid » Sun Jun 18, 2017 7:00 pm

Thanks very much! I've sent you a message :)
moid

experienced
experienced

Return to DIY Effects