KiCad / Beginner PCB design

Moderator: Ghost Hip

Forum rules
The DIY forum is for personal projects (things that are not for sale, not in production), info sharing, peer to peer assistance. No backdoor spamming (DIY posts that are actually advertisements for your business). No clones of in-production pedals. If you have concerns or questions, feel free to PM admin. Thanks so much!

KiCad / Beginner PCB design

Postby baremountain » Tue May 23, 2017 11:31 am

Hey y'all, so I've got my first pedal design figured out and I'm ready to start prototyping it. I tried prototyping with Vero, but somehow I always screw up unless I've got the layout in front of me, and this case was no different. I think I wanna go the PCB route for efficiency and ease of production. I've never done PCB design, but I looked into it and KiCad seemed to be the way to to go.
Long story short, I've got the schematic all marked out there, and I think I successfully matched the components to footprints at this point. I just need to import those footprints into the PCB designer and figure out how to create holes to wire to off-board hardware like switches & pots. It didn't seem readily apparent how to do this when I tried for 10 minutes the other day, but I've gotta look into it when I get home.
Am I correct in assuming that it's easier to get a company to send you a small number of PCBs than to make your own if you've never done so and don't have the supplies already? I think I saw a company on instagram that'd do 3 boards for $3/board baseline, which seems perfect for developing a prototype. Any other places I might look for small volume PCB prototyping? And any tips for a beginner whose never used a CAD software while making my first PCB layout?
Inner Vegas wrote:I don't think anyone is Obama

#wheresthebirthcertificate #obamahoax

solo tunes:
completed works || loosey goosey releases
associated acts:
Raab Zamboni (fake jazz/real noise//sax, modular synth, editing, misc) || Field Guide (my best friends//sax on 2 tracks)

I make t-shirts, patches, koozies, buttons, CDs, sometimes tapes, and eventually i'll start working on pedals again. DM me for pricing!
baremountain

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Re: KiCad / Beginner PCB design

Postby crochambeau » Tue May 23, 2017 12:38 pm

I'm using KiCad version 4.0.2+dfsg-stable, but it's probably similar in other versions:

While you're in PCBnew there's the image of an IC four down on the right. Click that and then click the field to open a dialog box, you can then select footprints to insert from browser, etc.

In order to drop a trace on that, you need to edit the pad (mouse hover and press "e") to reflect the netname you want to connect to (or turn off the no-bug at left and drop traces willy nilly, but you can cause problems doing this because it ignores all rules).
I've got to get off my ass and bring to reality that what has been quoted through existence.

Rochambeau Musical Apparatus
Reverb storefront
Shark Tank
crochambeau

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby baremountain » Thu Jun 22, 2017 2:34 pm

Okay, so update: I have now designed 3 PCBs & I am *really* into this. I didn't understand the two layer thing at first and was having a real hard time, but now I'm zipping through two layers and feel like I'm no longer constrained by where a component is located in the circuit, so I can do more aesthetically pleasing layouts by sorting similar components with one another. Creating those kinds of geometric puzzles is really fun to me haha
I might look into offering PCB design services to folks, because I could do this for hours on end.
Inner Vegas wrote:I don't think anyone is Obama

#wheresthebirthcertificate #obamahoax

solo tunes:
completed works || loosey goosey releases
associated acts:
Raab Zamboni (fake jazz/real noise//sax, modular synth, editing, misc) || Field Guide (my best friends//sax on 2 tracks)

I make t-shirts, patches, koozies, buttons, CDs, sometimes tapes, and eventually i'll start working on pedals again. DM me for pricing!
baremountain

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby crochambeau » Thu Jun 22, 2017 3:10 pm

baremountain wrote:Creating those kinds of geometric puzzles is really fun to me haha

Yeah, I find drafting PCBs to largely scratch the same mental itch as video games, only with a tangible result. Congrats on churning a few out!
I've got to get off my ass and bring to reality that what has been quoted through existence.

Rochambeau Musical Apparatus
Reverb storefront
Shark Tank
crochambeau

IAMILF
IAMILF

Return to DIY Effects