Strange rehousing idea.

Moderator: Ghost Hip

Forum rules
The DIY forum is for personal projects (things that are not for sale, not in production), info sharing, peer to peer assistance. No backdoor spamming (DIY posts that are actually advertisements for your business). No clones of in-production pedals. If you have concerns or questions, feel free to PM admin. Thanks so much!

Strange rehousing idea.

Postby Blurillaz » Fri Jul 31, 2009 7:35 pm

I came up with a strange idea.
Re-housing a delay pedal in an old NES... for no reason really... :erm:
I buy a broken NES, and an analog delay pedal (haven't decided which, possibly a new EHX Memory Boy/Toy?) Take out the inside electronics carefully (or not so carefully ;)) Extend the wires to the jacks and power adapter somehow, so they can be located in the back of the NES,mout the controls in the cartridge slot (?) change the bypass switch to a 2 way on/off switch, and mount it inside the slot as well...

:idk:
anyway, yeah
that's all I got.
Would this work at all? There would be alot of empty space inside, so I'd probably have to put foam on the inside to fill up some space.
we
Blurillaz

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Re: Strange rehousing idea.

Postby Blurillaz » Fri Jul 31, 2009 7:40 pm

Another idea I had was putting some Get-Lo-Fi kit in a broken original game boy. Their kits are very small, anyway.
we
Blurillaz

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Scruffie » Fri Jul 31, 2009 8:18 pm

Genius, I'd love an NES pedal, if my NES didn't still work awesomely, and if I didn't fix it if it had broken, i'd so do that lol.

And no reason it wouldn't work, NES are fairly sturdy and theres plenty of room inside, just have to work out the layout, drill a bit here, support a bit here and you got yourself a working NES Delay.
Scruffie

Admin
Admin

Postby Wizard » Fri Jul 31, 2009 8:58 pm

two part lofi bit fuzz delay NES?!
I've got a fuzzbox and i'm not afraid to use it

jrmy wrote:And unlike the rest of the country, we recognize Sarcasm as a crucial building block of spoken language. Kind of like umami in cooking.
Wizard

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby Scruffie » Fri Jul 31, 2009 9:05 pm

I think i'd go for an Devi LoFi (clone as she doesn't make them anymore and Tim Escobedos Schematic is still about) an Rehoused Behringer RV600 with some mods and some kind of glitchy octavey fuzz and if there was room, which I think there would be a rehoused anlogue delay... Infact, i'm gunna have to start searching for an broken NES... and some cash...
Scruffie

Admin
Admin

Postby WaveForm3 » Fri Jul 31, 2009 10:22 pm

*cough*

text taken for Experimentalists Anonymous:
"The Nintendo Muff

"The Nintendomuff gets more attention onstage then I do... People see me playing with an old NES joystick, making these insane outerworldy noises and just go crazy!" -John Biscutti

This is the infamous Nintendo Muff. Inside the controller is a heavily circuit bent Electro Harmonix Big Muff. I took out parts of the NES Advantage's circuit board so that the big muff could share the case and could make use of the various knobs and buttons on the controller. The joystick, buttons, switches, and knobs all control various squeals and squeaks made by the bent muff. The footswitch is just a bypass switch and the additional knob controls the level. What results is a highly tweakable noise fuzz device. I wish I had made a video!"

(Someone's already thought of it.)

text from FXDOCTOR.com

"The 8-Bit fuzz is a high gain gated fuzz. It has a synth feel to give a broken Nintendo sound. You basically lose all dynamics. The note feels like a keyboard, immediate attack and the note just disappears suddenly. Random octave dives at certain settings as well as a fat, raspy fuzz in the lower octaves. True bypass and volume knob."

And I have this. It's ACTUALLY not that bad. (I dunno how it stacks up next to the bit though.)

and dude, broken NES's are rarely broken, they just need a cleaning. :no:

"11. Thou shalt not destroy a perfectly good piece of equipment."

You don't want a Game Boy, sell it (to me.)
Devi Ever fx: LP KP
WaveForm3

experienced
experienced

Postby Blurillaz » Fri Jul 31, 2009 10:33 pm

WaveForm3 wrote:*cough*

text taken for Experimentalists Anonymous:
"The Nintendo Muff

"The Nintendomuff gets more attention onstage then I do... People see me playing with an old NES joystick, making these insane outerworldy noises and just go crazy!" -John Biscutti

This is the infamous Nintendo Muff. Inside the controller is a heavily circuit bent Electro Harmonix Big Muff. I took out parts of the NES Advantage's circuit board so that the big muff could share the case and could make use of the various knobs and buttons on the controller. The joystick, buttons, switches, and knobs all control various squeals and squeaks made by the bent muff. The footswitch is just a bypass switch and the additional knob controls the level. What results is a highly tweakable noise fuzz device. I wish I had made a video!"

(Someone's already thought of it.)

text from FXDOCTOR.com

"The 8-Bit fuzz is a high gain gated fuzz. It has a synth feel to give a broken Nintendo sound. You basically lose all dynamics. The note feels like a keyboard, immediate attack and the note just disappears suddenly. Random octave dives at certain settings as well as a fat, raspy fuzz in the lower octaves. True bypass and volume knob."

And I have this. It's ACTUALLY not that bad. (I dunno how it stacks up next to the bit though.)

:eek:
:rock:
we
Blurillaz

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Scruffie » Fri Jul 31, 2009 10:36 pm

WaveForm3 wrote:and dude, broken NES's are rarely broken, they just need a cleaning. :no:

The dreaded white screen of death, a screwdriver and an hour and you can get it working like new... I'd never break a good piece of equipment, especially a NES...
Mine is sat proudly alongside my PS3 still working... I considered modifying it once but couldn't bring myself to touch it.

But it has been done as you rightly say, but not in a Full NES case, perhaps Expermtalists should use the NES zapper and invent an Nintendo gun to shoot fuzz at people.
Scruffie

Admin
Admin

Postby Blurillaz » Fri Jul 31, 2009 10:37 pm

WaveForm3 wrote:

I got 3 gameboys and 2 ds
:lol:
But they all work fine.
usually, you can get a "broken" NES for less than 10.00 off ebay, and broken game boys are easy to find as well.
I'm thinking of doing the gameboy one first, as it may be easier, with a GetLoFi Lo-Fi delay and a danelectro corned beef inside. Might get kinda crammed in there...
we
Blurillaz

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby WaveForm3 » Sat Aug 01, 2009 11:22 pm

I was hoping I could use this sometime here:
Devi Ever fx: LP KP
WaveForm3

experienced
experienced

Postby Scruffie » Sat Aug 01, 2009 11:43 pm

WaveForm3 wrote:I was hoping I could use this sometime here:

Cause NES Kicks ass, I bought 3 dead NES and started repairing them to base a pedal around... I ended up with 3 NES and couldn't bare to harm them... although I did study there sound card...
Scruffie

Admin
Admin

Postby smile_man » Sat Aug 01, 2009 11:57 pm

I believe Aen also made a Nintendo Muff. He also made a Nintendo styled housing for a TGD. :rock:
http://tsunshining.bandcamp.com/ - jamz
http://www.jamiecoxxx.tumblr.com - art jamz
zackv wrote:stop fooling around and shell out the 320$

SPACERITUAL wrote:SPAAAAAAAAAAAAAAACERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRITUAAAAAAAAAAAAAL
smile_man

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Return to DIY Effects