Adding feedback loop to DMM, thoughts?

Moderator: Ghost Hip

Forum rules
The DIY forum is for personal projects (things that are not for sale, not in production), info sharing, peer to peer assistance. No backdoor spamming (DIY posts that are actually advertisements for your business). No clones of in-production pedals. If you have concerns or questions, feel free to PM admin. Thanks so much!

Adding feedback loop to DMM, thoughts?

Postby D Rock » Wed Apr 05, 2017 2:02 am

I hope this is as easy as I think it is, I have a mint DMM that I want to add a feedback loop too and am I a little afraid of messing something up but think I could handle it. From what I understand I need a 500k Linear pot and and SPST momentary switch and I should be good to go. I just plan to wire between the input and output a then I'll have a momentary switch to control when it comes in. Am I golden or missing something?
D Rock

committed
committed

Re: Adding feedback loop to DMM, thoughts?

Postby D Rock » Wed Apr 05, 2017 3:49 am

I plan to use this schematic but I will omit the power section, the 3pdt switch and use the spdt as a momentary foot switch. Looking forward to any feedback you guys may have. All I know is this is going to be sickkkkkkkkkkkk
D Rock

committed
committed

Postby controlFreak » Mon Apr 10, 2017 9:28 pm

You could do this more easily as an extension on the stock "feedback" knob- Use the momentary switch to connect a second pot in parallel with the stock feedback setting. Less resistance = more DELAY feedback... this is what you want yeah?

I believe that diagram will cause a different kind of feedback than what you want... The kind you get when you jump the input and the output of the whole effect, dry mix and all... causing EVERYTHING to self oscillate usually at a constant high pitch squeeeeeeeeeeel.
controlFreak

committed
committed

Postby controlFreak » Mon Apr 10, 2017 9:34 pm

The other kind of "feedback loop" you may like is one with a send and return to put a separate effect on the delays only, leaving the dry mix unaffected. Doing this with a boost or overdrive can also have the secondary effect of creating runaway delays as well, if its placed before the feedback control... then you're just boosting into the feedback circuit and thus, runaway repeats!
controlFreak

committed
committed

Postby D Rock » Tue Apr 11, 2017 4:09 am

Thanks for the input control freak, that is funny I was just looking at my DMM a couple of hours ago and thought I may be able to do it with the pot as you've expressed. That would work perfectly. The pots on the DMM are surface mount so that might make it a bit harder but I'm determined to figure this out or find someone who can.
D Rock

committed
committed

Postby controlFreak » Thu Apr 13, 2017 12:34 am

You can "tack" wires on to surface mount connections, it is just very tight spacing and requires fine gauge wire and steady hands.
controlFreak

committed
committed

Postby D Rock » Fri Apr 14, 2017 3:37 am

The pots, though surface mount have very large pads which I think would be easy to solder to.

Feedback pot is the one on the middle in far left. Correct me if I am wrong but could I wire another pot on lugs 2 and 3 with a momentary switch to connect the circuit and allow more current through with the push of a switch?
D Rock

committed
committed

Postby controlFreak » Fri Apr 14, 2017 7:43 pm

yep
controlFreak

committed
committed

Postby eatyourguitar » Fri Apr 14, 2017 10:39 pm

D Rock wrote:The pots, though surface mount have very large pads which I think would be easy to solder to.

they look like through hole pots to me
:hello:
:poke: :idk:

EDIT: I think you accidentally said surface mount but you wanted to say pcb mounted pots?
WWW.EATYOURGUITAR.COM <---- MY DIY STUFF
eatyourguitar

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby D Rock » Mon Apr 17, 2017 12:18 am

eatyourguitar wrote:
D Rock wrote:The pots, though surface mount have very large pads which I think would be easy to solder to.

they look like through hole pots to me
:hello:
:poke: :idk:

EDIT: I think you accidentally said surface mount but you wanted to say pcb mounted pots?

yes, I am just a retard. Don't mind me.
D Rock

committed
committed

Return to DIY Effects