· Gen · Guit · · Bldrs · B/S/T ·

Switch to full style
Do-it-yourself pedal building

Forum rules

The DIY forum is for personal projects (things that are not for sale, not in production), info sharing, peer to peer assistance. No backdoor spamming (DIY posts that are actually advertisements for your business). No clones of in-production pedals. If you have concerns or questions, feel free to PM admin. Thanks so much!
Post a reply

FYI: Good deals on parts at RadioShack right now

Tue Mar 28, 2017 5:50 am

RadioShack is going out of business, part 2.

Yesterday I went to a local store that was closing and they had a giant sign that all components and parts were 90% off! They were unfortunately pretty picked over, but I did grab a bunch of switches for $2 out the door. Came home and checked online and they had a bunch of good deals (not as good as 90% in store) but grabbed about $80 worth of parts and knobs for $35 shipped. Have a look, it won't be around that much longer...

Re: FYI: Good deals on parts at RadioShack right now

Tue Mar 28, 2017 3:31 pm

That depends on the radioshack. Most have cleared out of there parts sections after the first going out of business.

Wed Mar 29, 2017 6:54 am

going out of business everyday for 10 years and they still have electrical components for sale in the store???

Wed Mar 29, 2017 1:40 pm

karmablock wrote:That depends on the radioshack. Most have cleared out of there parts sections after the first going out of business.

Huh, didn't know that. I don't go in there very often, but the ones around me all had a large 4-sided sliding drawer cabinet full of components. I tried hitting up another store today but they were already gone.

Wed Mar 29, 2017 2:30 pm

i went to a store that was closing, but the parts were the only thing that WEREN'T on sale. wtf.

Fri Mar 31, 2017 2:40 pm

waltdogg wrote:i went to a store that was closing, but the parts were the only thing that WEREN'T on sale. wtf.

WTF!

Fedex just dropped this off:

Ton of knobs, 20mm leds, jacks, 500 resistor kit, perfs, lm386s, germ diodes, 2 multi packs of NPN and PNP trannys... Normally it would have been $30 for 3 packages of knobs!

Wonder what I should build this weekend...

Mon Jun 19, 2017 2:30 am

I'm late to the game here, but thought I'd chime in because my RadioShack had nearly all components in stock when I went. Literally walked out with over $2,000 worth of parts for a little over 200 bucks. Something around 1500 resistors, a few hundred caps, leds, switches, diodes, fucking everything. Went there again on the last day and they still had a few things so I grabbed up what was left. Best moment of my adult life?

Mon Jun 19, 2017 1:35 pm

I took the drawers from my local Radio Shack. My components are meticulously organized and I still have tons of room :yay:

Mon Jun 19, 2017 2:21 pm

They wouldn't let me take any of the display unit! Was so disappointed(although not thaaaaat disappointed because it was still parts for super cheap). Did you ask for it or just kinda take it?

Mon Jun 19, 2017 3:01 pm

Haha well I definitely bought it. My roommate and I got two (really 4, because they're stacked 2-high) for $100 each. Not a bad deal considering it's a set of 14 heavy-duty, steel drawers that won't break easily. Also the drawers are at a perfect height where you can stack two 125B enclosures to have exact clearance, and the sit-in dividers that came with it are just over 4" wide so the enclosures sit nicely between them. And cassette tapes fit in perfectly with the spine up. I have yet to think of something I want to put in the drawers that hasn't miraculously worked out.

Sun Jun 25, 2017 2:44 am

waltdogg wrote:i went to a store that was closing, but the parts were the only thing that WEREN'T on sale. wtf.

This was my experience when both Radioshacks near me went under.
Pissed me off because I'm pretty sure I was the only one that even gave a shit about their parts drawers.

Sun Jun 25, 2017 11:41 am

jrfox92 wrote:

This was my experience when both Radioshacks near me went under.
Pissed me off because I'm pretty sure I was the only one that even gave a shit about their parts drawers.

I wonder if in some stores that managers or employees with pull wanted the parts for themselves and therefore opted out of liquidation. Radio Shack also did/does the franchise thing, right? Anything goes in that event.

LONG LIVE THE PARTS SUPPLIERS!

Tue Jun 27, 2017 3:36 pm

Radio Shack still exists?

Ours closed like two years ago.
Post a reply