· Gen · Guit · · Bldrs · B/S/T ·

Switch to full style
Do-it-yourself pedal building

Forum rules

The DIY forum is for personal projects (things that are not for sale, not in production), info sharing, peer to peer assistance. No backdoor spamming (DIY posts that are actually advertisements for your business). No clones of in-production pedals. If you have concerns or questions, feel free to PM admin. Thanks so much!
Post a reply

Repairing old 18V pedal(s) that take two 9 volts (help?)

Fri Mar 17, 2017 1:34 am

I have 2 older 18V pedals. A Roland AP2 big box phaser and a Univox M1000 Effectomatic (mutron copy) that are in need of repair.
When I opened them to change the batteries they just stopped working. They both worked fine, now they don't.

The last sound the Roland gave off was a short high pitched degrading squeal when i was moving the batteries around to close the box (no screws).
The Univox worked and now it just doesn't. So upsetting. I don't think it's a loose solder joint because I definitely poked around but who knows?
Input jack gives no noise when plugging in, but I get a crackle sound from the amp when plugging in the output jack. I also cleaned the footswitch with deoxit and compressed air to no avail.

Though I was careful handling them, they were just so fragile I guess. Any help on fixing either would be much appreciated. The Univox is the one I would like to fix soon because its not mine and was in for a simple switch repair.

Thanks

Re: Repairing old 18V pedal(s) that take two 9 volts (help?)

Fri Mar 17, 2017 6:02 am

perhaps some old caps gave up and died :idk:
old gear can break in so many ways
I guess you will need to do some troubleshooting, see if you can get the schematics, test the supply rails, probe the audio path etc

Fri Mar 17, 2017 9:09 am

There's really nothing fundamentally different between troubleshooting a bipolar circuit versus a single pole circuit.

Start by exposing the guts, inserting fresh batteries, and then grabbing your multimeter and measuring your rails from common. The malfunction may jump right out at you..

Fri Mar 17, 2017 1:34 pm

I hope there are no dead capacitors but if there are, i will change them out.

Thanks crochambeau. I will get back to this thread with more info.
Post a reply