Need help with first pedal build

Moderator: Ghost Hip

Forum rules
The DIY forum is for personal projects (things that are not for sale, not in production), info sharing, peer to peer assistance. No backdoor spamming (DIY posts that are actually advertisements for your business). No clones of in-production pedals. If you have concerns or questions, feel free to PM admin. Thanks so much!

Need help with first pedal build

Postby IQthirtytwo » Mon Feb 27, 2017 11:56 pm

Way new on here and want to build my first pedal. I’d really like a Univox SQ-150 style square wave fuzz with drone/oscillation.
e.g. MATTOVERSE Gator Drone, Super Soda Meiser, 4MS Noise Swash…

Found a layout for the SQ-150 on tagboardeffects, but have no idea how I’d even begin to either modify that, or if a different base layout would be best. Have any of you built something similar, and could lay everything out for me? Teach me like you'd teach Helen Keller string theory.

Any help is extremely appreciated!
Last edited by IQthirtytwo on Thu Mar 02, 2017 3:31 am, edited 2 times in total.
IQthirtytwo

uncommitted
uncommitted

Re: Need advice for first pedal build

Postby karmablock » Tue Feb 28, 2017 1:50 am

I'd start with a Soda Meiser as it wouldn't be too hard to track down the noise/drone mods.
karmablock

experienced
experienced

Postby eatyourguitar » Tue Feb 28, 2017 3:11 am

Start with a working diy SQ-150 and then start hacking your desired mods bit by bit. You make a plan. You draw the schematic. Optional next step is to do a circuit simulation in pspice ltspice TINA etc.. then you solder the two or three added components and verify that they meet your requirements. Then rinse and repeat till it has been thoroughly fucked (in a good way). Oscillating fuzz typically requires feedback through a gain stage to create an oscillation where there is no oscillator explicitly in the design. All feedback is constructive to oscillation when the phase is not exactly 180 input to output. It depends on the gain of the circuit. All perfectly out of phase feedback becomes constructive when the gain exceeds -2. All you need to do is filter the feedback to get it tuned.
WWW.EATYOURGUITAR.COM <---- MY DIY STUFF
eatyourguitar

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby IQthirtytwo » Tue Feb 28, 2017 6:51 am

karmablock wrote:I'd start with a Soda Meiser as it wouldn't be too hard to track down the noise/drone mods.

Wish I could find something on the drone section of the Super Soda Meiser. Ben Hinz added that knob to the DeviEver design during the brief stint that Dwarfcraft owned it. I heard they sold a small run of kits too, but haven’t been able to find anything about what that modification actually is.

eatyourguitar wrote:Start with a working diy SQ-150 and then start hacking your desired mods bit by bit. You make a plan. You draw the schematic. Optional next step is to do a circuit simulation in pspice ltspice TINA etc.. then you solder the two or three added components and verify that they meet your requirements. Then rinse and repeat till it has been thoroughly fucked (in a good way). Oscillating fuzz typically requires feedback through a gain stage to create an oscillation where there is no oscillator explicitly in the design. All feedback is constructive to oscillation when the phase is not exactly 180 input to output. It depends on the gain of the circuit. All perfectly out of phase feedback becomes constructive when the gain exceeds -2. All you need to do is filter the feedback to get it tuned.

The trial and error route was the first thing that came to mind when I was thinking up this project - At the very least to get in a bit of experience. Wasn’t sure if simply modding would make it hard to isolate the two effects though. I’d like to be able to have a toggle switch, or something, so I could use the fuzz individually from the drone/oscillation as well as together. Shouldn't I come up with a full layout before jumping into the build, so I'll know whether or not the board will be big enough to populate all the extra components? Hope I'm not asking too much but if I add the schematics I found, would you possibly be willing to put something together that'll fit my needs and get me started?

Definitely stoked on the idea of a simulation, but I have absolutely no experience with any of this.
Last edited by IQthirtytwo on Tue Feb 28, 2017 8:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
IQthirtytwo

uncommitted
uncommitted

Postby IQthirtytwo » Tue Feb 28, 2017 8:28 am

spacelordmother wrote:SM drone info from Aen:

http://ilovefuzz.com/viewtopic.php?f=257&t=46629&start=15

Good looking out man - thanks! :thumb:
IQthirtytwo

uncommitted
uncommitted

Re: Need help with first pedal build

Postby IQthirtytwo » Wed Mar 01, 2017 2:14 am

UPDATE: Found a video of the old Standard Swash that 4MS discontinued, and it seems to be exactly what I'm looking for. Good news is they have the wiring diagram and parts list available on their site. Now all I need is to find someone to convert it to a vero layout so I can get building.
Attachments
Swash parts list.png
Swash parts list.png (102 KiB) Viewed 2841 times
STANDARD SWASH .jpg
Last edited by IQthirtytwo on Thu Mar 02, 2017 3:34 am, edited 2 times in total.
IQthirtytwo

uncommitted
uncommitted

Postby karmablock » Wed Mar 01, 2017 2:33 am

IQthirtytwo wrote:
spacelordmother wrote:SM drone info from Aen:

http://ilovefuzz.com/viewtopic.php?f=257&t=46629&start=15

Good looking out man - thanks! :thumb:

That's what I thought! It's just the chaos switch w/ a variable resistor.
karmablock

experienced
experienced

Return to DIY Effects