One knob fuzz volume drop

Moderator: Ghost Hip

Forum rules
The DIY forum is for personal projects (things that are not for sale, not in production), info sharing, peer to peer assistance. No backdoor spamming (DIY posts that are actually advertisements for your business). No clones of in-production pedals. If you have concerns or questions, feel free to PM admin. Thanks so much!

One knob fuzz volume drop

Postby foomanfat » Wed Feb 22, 2017 7:44 pm

So, I did my first build from this vero layout of a Colorsound one knob fuzz. http://tagboardeffects.blogspot.com/201 ... -fuzz.html
It sounds rad, but it's nowhere near unity with the volume maxed.
Someone in the comments with a similar complaint said they swapped the 82R for a 1K and 2K2 for 1K2, but also it seems like plenty of people didn't have this problem.
Any wisdom y'all could offer?
Hey! Let's talk about serious thing. We're gonna talk about guitar, dude.
daseb wrote:sorry dude, I apologise, val kilmer was a great songwriter and truly understood the mystic ways of the native american.
foomanfat

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Re: One knob fuzz volume drop

Postby karmablock » Wed Feb 22, 2017 10:46 pm

Cold joint somewhere?
karmablock

experienced
experienced

Postby eatyourguitar » Thu Feb 23, 2017 12:37 am

foomanfat wrote:So, I did my first build from this vero layout of a Colorsound one knob fuzz. http://tagboardeffects.blogspot.com/201 ... -fuzz.html
It sounds rad, but it's nowhere near unity with the volume maxed.
Someone in the comments with a similar complaint said they swapped the 82R for a 1K and 2K2 for 1K2, but also it seems like plenty of people didn't have this problem.
Any wisdom y'all could offer?

if you look at the old school OG dallas arbiter fuzz face golden turd that people worship you will see a 330R where the colorsound has 82R. if you change it to 0R you will have no volume at all maybe you can figure out the reason why.

NSFW: show
= its grounded to V+ through 0R

1K will give you more volume but you can triple your volume from 82R to 330R. 470R is probably right in the sweet spot. 1K + 2K2 totally changes the sound. it becomes a little more boring no weirdness when you tune it to 1K.
WWW.EATYOURGUITAR.COM <---- MY DIY STUFF
eatyourguitar

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby foomanfat » Thu Feb 23, 2017 11:03 am

Okay, cool. I don't have a 330 or 470 handy, would 390 be an option?
Hey! Let's talk about serious thing. We're gonna talk about guitar, dude.
daseb wrote:sorry dude, I apologise, val kilmer was a great songwriter and truly understood the mystic ways of the native american.
foomanfat

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Snufkino » Thu Feb 23, 2017 11:09 am

82R will be fine, it'll most likely be a dodgy solder joint somewhere. Or... a really shitty battery?
Snufkino

experienced
experienced

Postby Snufkino » Thu Feb 23, 2017 11:11 am

foomanfat wrote:Okay, cool. I don't have a 330 or 470 handy, would 390 be an option?

I can't speak from experience in how those values effect volume like eatyourguitar has said, but it would be fine to drop in and try.
Snufkino

experienced
experienced

Postby Nocentelli » Thu Feb 23, 2017 4:47 pm

There's some dispute as to whether it should be 82r or 820r (seems more likely).
Nocentelli

involved
involved

Postby Snufkino » Thu Feb 23, 2017 9:29 pm

I remember reading that too. A quick google image I can see it's definitely 82R one vintage and modern versions.
Snufkino

experienced
experienced

Postby eatyourguitar » Thu Feb 23, 2017 10:12 pm

they sound great at 82R but you need the bias of Q2 collector to be close to but not exactly half the supply. there is a sweet spot for maximum volume you can tune by ear. all the resistors in the fuzz face circuit can be tweaked for maximum output but you need to use silicon with consistent gains. trimmers everywhere was a common thing this is how I learned this circuit. as you can see from the 11 knob fuzz factory, this circuit is still somewhat relevant and I still use it. I would never release a fuzz face 82R if there was no trimmer there to fix the volume. I would release it if I had a opamp gain stage on the output but that is probably the only way I would be happy with that sound and that volume.
WWW.EATYOURGUITAR.COM <---- MY DIY STUFF
eatyourguitar

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Return to DIY Effects