Fuck Collectors (Russian Big Muff Heresy)

Moderator: Ghost Hip

Forum rules
The DIY forum is for personal projects (things that are not for sale, not in production), info sharing, peer to peer assistance. No backdoor spamming (DIY posts that are actually advertisements for your business). No clones of in-production pedals. If you have concerns or questions, feel free to PM admin. Thanks so much!

Fuck Collectors (Russian Big Muff Heresy)

Postby SquareWaveFuzz » Fri Feb 17, 2017 5:15 pm

So after deciding how lame it is to keep something original to preserve value, I've decided to make my Russian Big Muff both useful and less likely to fall apart if someone looks at it the wrong way.

So here's the plan;
-True Bypass (because fuck the rickety big Russian footswitch and fuck the huge high end roll-off in bypass)
-24mm Alpha pots (because fuck the rickety Russian pots)
-Neutrik Jacks (because fuck the rickety Russian plastic jacks)
-Mid control (because I like mids, sue me)
-DC Jack
-Powder coating the enclosure either pink or white (If it was a green russian on the outside as well as the inside I'd try to keep it as original looking as possible, but it's not, so fuck it)
-Possibly silkscreened graphics? IDK, I've taken scans of the original graphics so the graphics will remain original just a different colour.

And here's what I've done so far;
-Modified internal steel plate so that it doesn't get in the way of the new pots which will now be mounted on the actual chassis
-Stole the aluminium plate from the old footswitch and riveted it to the internal plate as it conveniently has a perfect hole for a proper 3PDT footswitch
-Started to fix the old battery door, don't know if i'll keep it functional or just rivet it in place as I won't be using batteries
-Enlarged LED hole to take the pot for the mids control and marked the new LED location
-Clipped the cap and resistor to be changed for the mids control and removed the old jacks from the PCB

Last edited by SquareWaveFuzz on Tue Mar 21, 2017 6:46 pm, edited 5 times in total.
D.o.S. wrote:What the fuck? You're fucking English how do you not like Pink Floyd? Disastrous dude, cultural depravity at its worst
SquareWaveFuzz

committed
committed

Re: Fuck Collectors (Russian Big Muff Heresy)

Postby spacelordmother » Fri Feb 17, 2017 5:41 pm

spacelordmother

HERO
HERO

Postby SquareWaveFuzz » Fri Feb 17, 2017 6:23 pm

D.o.S. wrote:What the fuck? You're fucking English how do you not like Pink Floyd? Disastrous dude, cultural depravity at its worst
SquareWaveFuzz

committed
committed

Postby Iommic Pope » Fri Feb 17, 2017 6:29 pm

Super keen to see how this turns out. :snax:
WWPD?
fcknoise wrote:You are all fucking tryhard effort posting nerds

Invisible Man wrote:I'm probably the most humble person I know. I feel good about smelling my own butthole.

Jesus Was a Robot wrote:Did you just assume Billy Corgan's dildo preference??
Iommic Pope

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby crochambeau » Fri Feb 17, 2017 8:34 pm

Is the OE Russian footswitch available for dissection?
I've got to get off my ass and bring to reality that what has been quoted through existence.

Rochambeau Musical Apparatus
Reverb storefront
Shark Tank
crochambeau

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby digi2t » Fri Feb 17, 2017 8:54 pm

I would have put the footswitch adapter plate on top of the main chassis plate, rather than underneath. The way it is now, every time you step on that switch, the stress will bend that small plate, and pull on the rivets. It will be wobbly loose in no time. If you rivet it on top, then the chassis will bear the stress (as it was designed to do), and the rivets will last much longer.

Unless you're trying to retain some of the cheap-ass Russian construction.... :idk:
"Turn down the amp, strum harder." - PRR

http://www.deadendfx.com/
digi2t

experienced
experienced

Postby waltdogg » Fri Feb 17, 2017 10:08 pm

this is legit.
D.o.S. wrote:Why do people eat steak that shit is gross

behndy wrote:lol. she thinks Brazil is wayyyy too unsafe. but i got PLANS.

MechaGodzilla wrote:man, fuck those big neutrik plugs
waltdogg

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby SquareWaveFuzz » Fri Feb 17, 2017 10:40 pm

crochambeau wrote:Is the OE Russian footswitch available for dissection?

Sure, just pay shipping and it's yours, PM me.

digi2t wrote:I would have put the footswitch adapter plate on top of the main chassis plate, rather than underneath. The way it is now, every time you step on that switch, the stress will bend that small plate, and pull on the rivets. It will be wobbly loose in no time. If you rivet it on top, then the chassis will bear the stress (as it was designed to do), and the rivets will last much longer.

Unless you're trying to retain some of the cheap-ass Russian construction.... :idk:

Don't worry, I've thought about this, I will be placing a washer on top of the steel plate to deal with the stress, the aluminium plate is just there to centralize the footswitch in the hole, I had thought about doing it how you suggested but their wouldn't be enough clearance between the top of the steel plate and the chassis, you can also see the assembly through the hole in the chassis and my way looks a little less "DIY" as the little aluminium plate isn't exactly perfect.

Iommic Pope wrote:Super keen to see how this turns out. :snax:

waltdogg wrote:this is legit.

:thumb: :group:
SquareWaveFuzz

committed
committed

Postby fcknoise » Sat Feb 18, 2017 11:02 am

Hell yes dude. I had a super modded russian big muff that was done by someone on this here forum, but I can't remember who did it. Had switches that did things to the mids, a midsknob, true bypass, reversed input/output jacks, 9v input jack and a clean blend. PM Jrmy about it, I bought it from him.

I also really regret selling it
Cydonia wrote: Too bad no one here is interested in talking about "gear"

BossMann73 wrote:I didn't insult it......I "curated" a "different aesthetic.".

John wrote:I love how this forum has the GDP of Switzerland in pedals but the collective value of everyone's patch cables is less than the change in my couch cushions. And I don't have a couch.

Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/sharkmovieappriciator
Bandcamp: https://fcknoise.bandcamp.com/
fcknoise

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby cherler » Sat Feb 18, 2017 4:22 pm

When I read this title I thought you meant the collector pins on transistors...
Instagram yo

Good dealin's: D.o.S.
cherler

experienced
experienced

Postby SquareWaveFuzz » Sat Feb 18, 2017 4:51 pm

Sprayed the steel plate black today to make it less visible through the old footswitch hole and drilled the chassis for the LED and DC jack today.

Was going to do the footswitch wiring today as well but my soldering iron's now dead which means I'll either have to take it in to work to do during my lunch, or wait until payday and buy a new one :mad: And to make it worse, the hole for the LED's about 0.75mm off centre, which doesn't sound like a lot, but it's enough to be noticeable :mad: :mad:

SquareWaveFuzz

committed
committed

Postby Iommic Pope » Sat Feb 18, 2017 8:14 pm

Rad.
Bummer about the slight misalignment. Could you get a bigger washer to sit on top and cover it?

Also, this is gonna look great pink. You doing the whole box or just the cover/too.
My 2c, but i think 2 tone would look cool....
WWPD?
fcknoise wrote:You are all fucking tryhard effort posting nerds

Invisible Man wrote:I'm probably the most humble person I know. I feel good about smelling my own butthole.

Jesus Was a Robot wrote:Did you just assume Billy Corgan's dildo preference??
Iommic Pope

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby eatyourguitar » Sun Feb 19, 2017 9:33 am

WWW.EATYOURGUITAR.COM <---- MY DIY STUFF
eatyourguitar

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby SquareWaveFuzz » Sun Feb 19, 2017 10:59 am

Iommic Pope wrote:Rad.
Bummer about the slight misalignment. Could you get a bigger washer to sit on top and cover it?

Also, this is gonna look great pink. You doing the whole box or just the cover/too.
My 2c, but i think 2 tone would look cool....

I'll be doing it all one colour as I'll be getting the powder coating done as a favour so I want to keep it as simple as possible, still don't know if i'm going pink or white yet though.

If the misalignment bothers me too much I'll just patch the enclosure with epoxy and re-drill it before it gets powder coated.

eatyourguitar wrote:do you even digital caliper bro?

http://www.amazon.com/Neiko-01407A-Electronic-Digital-Caliper/dp/B000GSLKIW/

It wasn't the marking that was at fault tbf, the drill bit skipped when I was drilling the pilot hole, if only I had space for a pillar drill...
SquareWaveFuzz

committed
committed

Postby Disarm D'arcy » Sun Feb 19, 2017 11:17 am

It's gonna be a workhorse. Much like a diesel Ford Focus :thumb:
Good deals: OsbornKT, Phantasmagorovich, UglyCasanova, DarkAxel, Skip, D.o.S, ColdBrightSunlight, Eivind August, Goroth

https://linktr.ee/disarmdarcy

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Disarm D'arcy

Supporter
Supporter

Next

Return to DIY Effects