*Other* random tone pedals

Moderator: Ghost Hip

Forum rules
The DIY forum is for personal projects (things that are not for sale, not in production), info sharing, peer to peer assistance. No backdoor spamming (DIY posts that are actually advertisements for your business). No clones of in-production pedals. If you have concerns or questions, feel free to PM admin. Thanks so much!

*Other* random tone pedals

Postby niftyprose » Tue Dec 13, 2016 10:12 am

Hi chaps, I write as a novice builder dissatisfied with the EHX Random Tone Generator. I can think of a number of ways to improve it and have begun sketching out possible implementations. Am I right in thinking that the RTG is the only *pedal* of its type? I'm aware of some modular random tone boxes that are closer to what I have in mind (but no cigar), and I'm aware of a couple of white noise / pink noise pedals which are even further offthan the EHX offering. I'd rather not reinvent the wheel if someone out there has an RTG-on-steroids circuit. All comments gratefully recd. Best, NP
"She opened the case of my guitar and placed six fingertips to the pick-ups beneath the strings. She made me a tea from the dried orange skins on her fire, and taught me the way of guitar voodoo." -- Jim Carroll, 'The Book Of Nods'
niftyprose

committed
committed

Re: *Other* random tone pedals

Postby eatyourguitar » Tue Dec 13, 2016 11:42 am

there are many many versions of this but they usually do not come packaged in a guitar pedal box like that. usually the operator would patch a random source like white noise or maybe an lfo to the input of a sample and hold module. this would generate random control voltages to control the pitch of an oscillator. the rate is the rate of LFO #2 as it clocks the sample and hold module. it would take two or three modules patched together to get this sound. add another module for glide. the system can be as simple or complicated as you want. here is a eurorack module that has all of these features contained in one unit. I owned one of these once.

http://www.analoghaven.com/steadystatef ... domanalog/
WWW.EATYOURGUITAR.COM <---- MY DIY STUFF
eatyourguitar

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Bartimaeus » Wed Dec 14, 2016 6:10 pm

There really isn't anything in the pedal realm aside from the RTG, although as eatyourguitar says the effect is quite common in the synthesizer (especially modular synth) world.

If you were to build a version with more features, it would be pretty easy to add the ability to switch between waveforms which would be cool, and also to adjust the pitch range of the tones.

Another thing worth trying would be to set the pitch of the tones via LFO, rather than white noise, so you get atonal arpeggios.
Bartimaeus

experienced
experienced

Postby niftyprose » Tue Dec 20, 2016 1:33 pm

Thanks guys! Best, NP.
"She opened the case of my guitar and placed six fingertips to the pick-ups beneath the strings. She made me a tea from the dried orange skins on her fire, and taught me the way of guitar voodoo." -- Jim Carroll, 'The Book Of Nods'
niftyprose

committed
committed

Return to DIY Effects