Acid Etching????

Moderator: Ghost Hip

Forum rules
The DIY forum is for personal projects (things that are not for sale, not in production), info sharing, peer to peer assistance. No backdoor spamming (DIY posts that are actually advertisements for your business). No clones of in-production pedals. If you have concerns or questions, feel free to PM admin. Thanks so much!

Re: Acid Etching????

Postby cherler » Wed Dec 21, 2016 5:18 pm

So I gave the spray paint and sanding idea a try today and here's what I ended up with.

Over all I'm pretty happy with it, especially for a first try. I had trouble with the sanding part though. I completely forgot to buy a nice flat sanding block when I was getting the paint, so that's probably why, but when I was sanding all I could get was the edges and corners to go. So I tried gently spot sanding on the aluminum, ended up just carefully taking off the extra paint with acetone, and now I have kinda inconsistent grooves from sanding in the raised aluminum. How do you go about actually sanding off the paint?

I think I might need to put more effort into sanding the surface flatter before I even start is my guess.
Instagram yo

Good dealin's: D.o.S.
cherler

experienced
experienced

Postby Chankgeez » Wed Dec 21, 2016 5:21 pm

Looks awesomely Mondrian'd. :!!!:
psychic vampire. wrote:The important take away from this thread: Taoism and Ring Modulators go together?
…...........................…
Sweet dealin's: here
"Now, of course, Strega is not a Minimoog… and I am not Sun Ra" - dude from MAKENOISE
#GreenRinger
Chankgeez

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Location: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FGhbeHujNZQ youtube.com/watch?v=V-2l7kkBURc

Postby cherler » Wed Dec 21, 2016 5:24 pm

Yup! I think I accidentally typed Kandinksy earlier but that was the idea! Just with purple and red and stuff.
Instagram yo

cherler

experienced
experienced

Postby Chankgeez » Wed Dec 21, 2016 5:27 pm

OK, here's your next one:

:poke: :snax:
psychic vampire. wrote:The important take away from this thread: Taoism and Ring Modulators go together?
…...........................…
Sweet dealin's: here
"Now, of course, Strega is not a Minimoog… and I am not Sun Ra" - dude from MAKENOISE
#GreenRinger
Chankgeez

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Location: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FGhbeHujNZQ youtube.com/watch?v=V-2l7kkBURc

Postby cherler » Wed Dec 21, 2016 5:35 pm

Challenge accepted, but Kandinksy might end up spinning by the time I'm done :lol:
Instagram yo

cherler

experienced
experienced

Postby dminner » Wed Dec 21, 2016 6:01 pm

JonnyAngle wrote:
Yes. I also painted the black as well.

I use 220 grit and wet sand it. It doesn't take a lot of pressure for the paint to come off.

Holy shit you really use 220 after paint? That seem so aggressive haha. Hell, I use 400 before paint haha. After paint I use 1500 grit.

However, we use pretty different techniques. I actually use a base instead of an acid. I think it makes a cleaner etch and is safer. But this is really more personal preference and it could be that your paints wont withstand a base (for example, a lot of people use nail polish with acid, but a base dissolves that).

I also tend to use a TON more paint than Jack. I practically fill the wells to the brim. Then when I hit it with 1500 it actually polishes the paint while removing it from the raised aluminum. I am sure it takes me MUCH longer to sand that using 220. But if you want something that looks shiney it is a good approach.

I think it all depends on the look you are trying to achieve. Distressed or pretty. AND, if you want to feel the etch. With my normal approach the etch is just a way of making the design, but I normally use so much paint I cant feel the etch. I do both ways depending on the feel I want. Some of my stuff is super deep and lightly painted if I want a more distressed look.

ALSO, I once did a Mini like that one you posted :) (actually, Jack and I did a swap for fun. I did his Mini and he did an echolution for me).

dminner

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby cherler » Wed Dec 21, 2016 6:12 pm

Thanks for chiming in! I like going distressed personally but right now I just want to experiment and figure things out. Filling in the paint that much does seem like it would solve my problem actually so I might give that a try on the next one.

How much prep work do you guys before the etch? I just sand until I like the surface finish, without really using a flat surface which is probably bad, and then go from there.
Instagram yo

cherler

experienced
experienced

Postby cherler » Wed Dec 21, 2016 6:16 pm

Yeah that stuff looks fucking awesome, I really appreciate you guys helping me out.
Instagram yo

cherler

experienced
experienced

Postby dminner » Wed Dec 21, 2016 6:21 pm

I think surface prep is different for me than you... for me, I need to flat to get the best transfer. But with you painting on the mask this wouldn't matter as much.

Also for distressed finishes I like to paint and then take steel wool to the whole thing. It creates a cool look. I can post a pic later.
dminner

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby JonnyAngle » Wed Dec 21, 2016 6:38 pm

the bottom line is you have to find your own way. jwar does his stuff different than we do too
JonnyAngle

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby cherler » Wed Dec 21, 2016 6:43 pm

JonnyAngle wrote:the bottom line is you have to find your own way. jwar does his stuff different than we do too

Absolutely, and I really appreciate the conversation. You guys are great :hug:
Instagram yo

cherler

experienced
experienced

Postby dminner » Wed Dec 21, 2016 6:49 pm

JonnyAngle wrote:the bottom line is you have to find your own way. jwar does his stuff different than we do too

Truth. Everyone has their own methods, and that is what makes it cool. I love that in a line up I could easily distinguish a jwar etch or a laowiz etch.

You using a brush to paint masks is already adding a cool effect.

It is all about experimentation. Hell, I even use oven cleaner and gun stock dye a lot in my stuff :)
dminner

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby cherler » Wed Dec 21, 2016 9:02 pm

Yeah I think I agree, and you guys have given me a lot to chew on and experiment with here, so I'm gonna do just that! I'll definitely keep posting my progress somewhere on the forum, and thanks again! :!!!:
Instagram yo

cherler

experienced
experienced

Postby JonnyAngle » Thu Dec 22, 2016 12:03 am

dminner wrote:
JonnyAngle wrote:
Yes. I also painted the black as well.

I use 220 grit and wet sand it. It doesn't take a lot of pressure for the paint to come off.

Holy shit you really use 220 after paint? That seem so aggressive haha. Hell, I use 400 before paint haha. After paint I use 1500 grit.

However, we use pretty different techniques. I actually use a base instead of an acid. I think it makes a cleaner etch and is safer. But this is really more personal preference and it could be that your paints wont withstand a base (for example, a lot of people use nail polish with acid, but a base dissolves that).

I also tend to use a TON more paint than Jack. I practically fill the wells to the brim. Then when I hit it with 1500 it actually polishes the paint while removing it from the raised aluminum. I am sure it takes me MUCH longer to sand that using 220. But if you want something that looks shiney it is a good approach.

I think it all depends on the look you are trying to achieve. Distressed or pretty. AND, if you want to feel the etch. With my normal approach the etch is just a way of making the design, but I normally use so much paint I cant feel the etch. I do both ways depending on the feel I want. Some of my stuff is super deep and lightly painted if I want a more distressed look.

ALSO, I once did a Mini like that one you posted :) (actually, Jack and I did a swap for fun. I did his Mini and he did an echolution for me).

Be agressive! B E aggressive
JonnyAngle

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Jwar » Fri Dec 23, 2016 11:19 am

Johnny has a bit of an unorthodox methodology. We've spoke about it, and it works for him.

What's cool is that everyone has so many different though processes and it all looks different.

Here's how I do it (if you really want to know, you can watch my hour plus tutorial).

I grab the following sand paper and a electric sander. I ONLY hand sand with the last bit. Fuck that shit. I use 250, 600, 800 and 1500 grit paper in that order. The 250 takes the top off so that you can get down to the less shitty aluminum (which in some cases is not true. Sometimes you buy boxes and they already look sanded and you can ignored this step). I dry sand with 250 and the rest I wet sand with. I load my hand sander with each. Put a little water on the enclosure and sand to my preference. You want to try and keep it even though or else the trasfer will look like shit. For the 1500 grit (sometimes I'll skip this if I'm out), I hand sand under water in the sink. It gives it a nice shine. If I'm feeling extremely meticulous, I'll even try to give it a semi polished look.

Cleaning the enclosures. This is the single most important step IMO. If it's not clean enough that fucking transfer will not go on right. So I do it in steps. First I rinse it off. Then I use acetone to clean off any grit. Next I use baby dish washing soap. It's the stuff they make for baby bottles. I've found it's extremely effective with pulling grit. Then I use alcohol or acetone again until the paper towel I'm using has no dirt left on it.

Preparing the box afterwards. If you don't want to paint the sides and leave them bare, you can use painters tape or duct tape. Just so it seals them and makes sure the acid can't hit the surface. Spraying them is the easiest, but in my experience you'll want an automotive paint for this. It stays better, looks better and can take the heat of the acid better.

For the transfer. Fuck all the papers. I hate them all right now. The Dollar Tree made the best and they stopped producing it. It all sucks now IMO and I hate it. In a pinch though, one of these fellas might be able to suggest something. Anyway, you need to use a inkjet paper with a laser printer. There's a chemical reaction that occurs when you print that makes the ink sit more on the surface. This also you to transfer it from A to B.

Using an iron. Make sure to get one where you can turn the steam OFF. You do not want steam on. The setting I've found that works best is the one for linens. It's going to take some trial and error to figure out what works for you. I'll leave you to watch some videos to see how exactly to do this, but it's simple. NOTE. I usually heat the enclosure prior to the transfer. I've found this helps with the entire process. 30 seconds is usually more than sufficient. For taking the transfer off, I let them cool first, but some papers work better if you pull them hot. This might be a trial and error thing as well. You most likely will have to fill in some negative space that the iron didn't get onto the enclosure. I'd recommend an enamel paint pen over anything else. You can get precise that way.

The etchant. Acid Magic works great. I shouldn't have told everyone about it either. ;) Now everyone uses it!!! LOL!!! It's cheap and you can etch a box in under a minute. You have to be careful though. If it gets super heated, it will exploded. I had some get too hot the other day and forgot eye wear and that shit literally hit me on the white of my eye. Had it been any other form of acid, I'd have a hole in my fucking head. So be careful. It's 90% less toxic that muratic acid, but you would be well advised to still wear a respirator (it can knock you out).

After etching, place the enclosure in water for 2 minutes. This will fully neutralize the acid. I usually run it under a sink but a bucket will do the same.

Removing the transfer. Use acetone. It will create a crisp and awesome look. Wear gloves though. Believe it or not that shit is toxic as fuck. Also, I'd advise the respirator. Don't get lazy like me and ignore most of this shit. :) hahaha

Painting....I don't really do it that much, but when I do, I like to get abstract with it a bit. I use translucent paints that are used for model cars. It works well and stays. Or I sometimes use paint pens. I don't fill in the entire areas though because I like my etches kind of gritty looking. Even with blemishes.

Clear coating is a MUST. If you want your etch to look good for years, don't skip the clear coat. It will ensure the enclosure does not corrode over the year and stay looking fresh. If you use enamel paints, just we wary that some of the crummy kinds actually tend to coat better. I don't know why. You're technically not supposed to clear coat enamel. Zero fucks given. Light coat it several times. If you go to heavy, it can melt the paint. It sucks. You can also you a clear coat epoxy. I did this for some enclosures for Industrialetric and it looks bomb! It literally coats the etch in armor and looks crazy good! It's an absolute bitch to work with and is expensive, but it's well worth it.

Above all, take your time with this stuff. Learn your method before you try to cut corners. Once you get really good at it, you'll figure out ways to do things faster. :)
"I do not have the ability to think rationally 90% of the time and I also change my mind at the drop of a hat".

-JWAR :)
Jwar

Cosmic of BILF
Cosmic of BILF

PreviousNext

Return to DIY Effects