Ken Multi MDT-7 Distortion to Fuzz Mod?

Moderator: Ghost Hip

Forum rules
The DIY forum is for personal projects (things that are not for sale, not in production), info sharing, peer to peer assistance. No backdoor spamming (DIY posts that are actually advertisements for your business). No clones of in-production pedals. If you have concerns or questions, feel free to PM admin. Thanks so much!

Ken Multi MDT-7 Distortion to Fuzz Mod?

Postby AC128 » Sun Nov 20, 2016 7:45 am

Hey guys.
I recently acquired a Ken Multi (love these things) MDT-7 Distortion pedal.
I was wondering if it could be modded more towards a fuzz.
As I understand it, I would want more bass frequencies to be hitting the clipping stage(s) and maybe increase the clipping amount.

Less bass cut could be achieved by changing one of the caps to a different value, right?
Sadly a bunch of caps and resistors are SMDs (I won't touch those)

The LA6458 IC seems to be Sanyo's equivalent of a 4558, so I could put in a socket and try different ICs, but usually the results are *ahem* underwhelming.
Could I replace one or more of the 2SK30 transistors to get more fuzz-like clipping?

FWIW the other side

thanks guys.
AC128

committed
committed

Re: Ken Multi MDT-7 Distortion to Fuzz Mod?

Postby crochambeau » Sun Nov 20, 2016 11:50 am

Those 2SK30s are probably doing switch/bypass duty, so my guess is that swapping them out will not make it fuzz.

Changing the gain of the opamp circuit and some tone based parts is probably what you'd need, but we're diving headlong into the second picture for that.
I've got to get off my ass and bring to reality that what has been quoted through existence.

Rochambeau Musical Apparatus
Reverb storefront
Shark Tank
crochambeau

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby AC128 » Sun Nov 20, 2016 2:24 pm

I see...
thank you! :)
AC128

committed
committed

Postby eatyourguitar » Fri Nov 25, 2016 9:10 am

you actually need to low pass the input first and foremost before you hit any clipping stages. 6db/oct slopes work better than 24db/oct slopes. after the low pass filter, you need a non-linear transfer function

out = f(in)

usually this is a clipping stage but in a ts9 it is a waveshaper. some distortion pedals, like the TS9 for example again, have low cut (high pass filter) at the input to prevent it from sounding too fuzzy. in a TS9 all you need to do is change the size of the cap in the highpass filter to let more bass through. then it fuzzes automatically because of the way the rest of the circuit is EQ'd. removing the factory low cut and adding your own low pass filter are basically the same result. removing highs and increasing volume is the same thing as increasing low end response. same result more or less. ya dig?
WWW.EATYOURGUITAR.COM <---- MY DIY STUFF
eatyourguitar

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Return to DIY Effects