Please find this pot for me

Moderator: Ghost Hip

Forum rules
The DIY forum is for personal projects (things that are not for sale, not in production), info sharing, peer to peer assistance. No backdoor spamming (DIY posts that are actually advertisements for your business). No clones of in-production pedals. If you have concerns or questions, feel free to PM admin. Thanks so much!

Please find this pot for me

Postby Strange Tales » Thu Jul 07, 2016 8:19 am

I'm going to throw someone out of a fucking window.

I need 3 Alpha 16mm Dual Gang 10K Linear PC Mount Vertical pots. 5mm spacing between the legs. (10mm total, 7.5mm is too small)

Basically this but stereo version:
http://www.taiwanalpha.com.tw/english2014/p_e_043.htm

I can't find one that isn't right angled and yes I'm going to continue looking but if you see this SOS please help me.
木枯らし // 木漏れ日 // 風に綱は戦ぐ

Strange Tales Distro - Japanese Underground Music Distribution in the US

Invisible Man wrote:Strange Tales: putting the ‘weeb’ in ‘dweeb’ since whenever.
Strange Tales

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Re: Please find this pot for me

Postby eatyourguitar » Thu Jul 07, 2016 8:40 am

WWW.EATYOURGUITAR.COM <---- MY DIY STUFF
eatyourguitar

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Strange Tales » Thu Jul 07, 2016 8:43 am

Mounting hole is 7.5mm there.

I need RV16A01F-20-10K specifically because I need the extra width on the pins for this fucking PCB. Why did he use this width?

unless I'm missing something, because I'm pretty sure that is the exact part I have sitting in my apartment right now.

Alternatively, how bad of an idea would it be to just try and bend the pins the 1.25mm space it's missing on the pots I have right now?
木枯らし // 木漏れ日 // 風に綱は戦ぐ

Invisible Man wrote:Strange Tales: putting the ‘weeb’ in ‘dweeb’ since whenever.
Strange Tales

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby eatyourguitar » Thu Jul 07, 2016 9:46 am

bending the metal ok but bending the part where the metal is bonded to the pot PCB is a bad idea. there is a resistive track on the fiberglass that is even more delicate than the fiberglass it is printed on. if the fiberglass cracks then it is game over.
eatyourguitar

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Strange Tales » Thu Jul 07, 2016 9:59 am

I'll have to see what I can do when I get home because trying to find this specific mounting size is really unholy. I'm finding like Russian links only for this part specifically.

Honestly as long as I can get it flush with the PCB when soldered I'll take that as a win. I'm not good at looking at PCBs and figuring out why routes where yet, so I'm not entirely sure why a gain pot needs to stereo, but whatever.
木枯らし // 木漏れ日 // 風に綱は戦ぐ

Strange Tales

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby crochambeau » Thu Jul 07, 2016 10:53 am

Strange Tales wrote:I'm not good at looking at PCBs and figuring out why routes where yet, so I'm not entirely sure why a gain pot needs to stereo, but whatever.

Is the project posted somewhere in the public domain? Another set of eyes might help on why the dual gang part is utilized.

In my experience, if you're bending legs the part is not going to mount flush. Is the physical connection imperative? If not, another option might be to simply rotate the part you have 180 degrees and wire it to the board with short lengths of wire, or fly it off the board with longer wire - if the enclosure allows.
I've got to get off my ass and bring to reality that what has been quoted through existence.

Rochambeau Musical Apparatus
Reverb storefront
Shark Tank
crochambeau

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby Strange Tales » Thu Jul 07, 2016 11:14 am

Enclosure sadly won't allow that. It's 4 PCBs stacked together as tightly as possible.

http://modularaddict.com/attachments/po ... lymoog.pdf
木枯らし // 木漏れ日 // 風に綱は戦ぐ

Strange Tales

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby eatyourguitar » Thu Jul 07, 2016 12:00 pm

I think I found it look at the picture

http://www.banzaimusic.com/Alpha-16mm-s ... k-lin.html
eatyourguitar

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Strange Tales » Thu Jul 07, 2016 12:16 pm

That looks like the other pot you linked from Tayda.

This is whats throwing me off. The pots I bought are measured as 7.5mm according to their data sheet and someone on Muff linked me a 7.5mm Tayda pot as well for what they specifically used. I feel like I'm missing something or going crazy here.
木枯らし // 木漏れ日 // 風に綱は戦ぐ

Strange Tales

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Strange Tales » Thu Jul 07, 2016 12:29 pm

For reference: http://www.taiwanalpha.com.tw/english2014/p_e_041.htm

Those are the pots I originally bought (RV122F-20) and the pins definitely aren't wide enough at 7.5mm
木枯らし // 木漏れ日 // 風に綱は戦ぐ

Strange Tales

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby eatyourguitar » Thu Jul 07, 2016 12:30 pm

all the single gang vertical solder lug pots from tayda have 0.2in + 0.2in spacing = 10.16mm on center from 1 to 3. I don't think I ever purchased a dual vertical from tayda. the picture in bonzai looks different maybe email them? what makes you think that banzai definitely doesn't have it? kits designed in europe use parts from europe. thats probably why you are having a hard time.
eatyourguitar

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby crochambeau » Thu Jul 07, 2016 12:32 pm

Oh, yeah, those are frequency controls, not gain. That's why they are dual gang, you have two circuit sections working in tandem to make the effect.

Here's a dual gang 100K with outer legs at 7.5mm on center (I zeroed the caliper across the width of one leg before taking measurement):

That's the RV122F family of part, 10K version at Mouser: http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Alp ... IPw5stVHqk
I've got to get off my ass and bring to reality that what has been quoted through existence.

Reverb storefront
Shark Tank
crochambeau

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby crochambeau » Thu Jul 07, 2016 12:36 pm

Strange Tales wrote:For reference: http://www.taiwanalpha.com.tw/english2014/p_e_041.htm

Those are the pots I originally bought (RV122F-20) and the pins definitely aren't wide enough at 7.5mm

Ah, my post is going in the wrong direction. I'll freshen up my reading skills post haste.

Most cheap shit is closer to 10mm on center I find, the 7.5 are the oddballs.

Reverb storefront
Shark Tank
crochambeau

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby crochambeau » Thu Jul 07, 2016 12:42 pm

Maybe this is helpful?

I don't think you need those RV122 to sit flush, given that the shaft is closer to the pins on them. Plenty of room to lengthen those legs if you're careful.

Reverb storefront
Shark Tank
crochambeau

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby Strange Tales » Thu Jul 07, 2016 12:43 pm

eatyourguitar wrote:all the single gang vertical solder lug pots from tayda have 0.2in + 0.2in spacing = 10.16mm on center from 1 to 3. I don't think I ever purchased a dual vertical from tayda. the picture in bonzai looks different maybe email them? what makes you think that banzai definitely doesn't have it? kits designed in europe use parts from europe. thats probably why you are having a hard time.

I'll send them an email and ask what the spacing in between is. Luckily enough Smallbear has the single gang pots I'm looking for, but only has solder lug for dual pots.
木枯らし // 木漏れ日 // 風に綱は戦ぐ

Strange Tales

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Next

Return to DIY Effects