2KW resistors - did I buy the wrong thing?

Moderator: Ghost Hip

Forum rules
The DIY forum is for personal projects (things that are not for sale, not in production), info sharing, peer to peer assistance. No backdoor spamming (DIY posts that are actually advertisements for your business). No clones of in-production pedals. If you have concerns or questions, feel free to PM admin. Thanks so much!

2KW resistors - did I buy the wrong thing?

Postby moid » Wed Mar 30, 2016 6:29 pm

Hello everyone

I was trying to finish a delay pedal build and ran out of 820K resistors. Didn't have any money (until the end of the month) to buy from my normal supplier, cursed, then remembered I had some gift vouchers on Ebay! Got excited, found a seller and bought them (plus some other useful items I needed). Anyway everything arrived today as ordered except the resistors are gigantic! About four times larger than the usual resistors I buy, which now I check the small print I discover are for 1/4 watt power... so the embarrassing question is can I use these monster 2KW resistors in a pedal build or will they screw everything up? My guess is that they should work the same (the same level of resistance) but they are designed to survive ridiculous amounts of electricity going through them (compared to a 9 volt DC powered pedal at least). Or shall I keep them for that moment in the future when I discover a schematic for the Flux Capacitor and decide to buy a new (old) car? Thanks for any advice.
moid

experienced
experienced

Re: 2KW resistors - did I buy the wrong thing?

Postby crochambeau » Wed Mar 30, 2016 6:56 pm

They will work fine, it just so happens they are large and the leads might be a touch on the wide side for your bog standard PCB hole (strip or perf usually passes this test fine though).

There are actually benefits to using higher wattage resistors, but on such a microscopic scale they hardly bear mentioning in relation to pedal builds.

ENJOY!
I've got to get off my ass and bring to reality that what has been quoted through existence.

Rochambeau Musical Apparatus
Reverb storefront
Shark Tank
crochambeau

IAMILF
IAMILF

Re: 2KW resistors - did I buy the wrong thing?

Postby moid » Wed Mar 30, 2016 7:24 pm

Wow thanks very much for the quick reply, back to the soldering iron I go! :)
moid

experienced
experienced

Return to DIY Effects