a really really big fuzz

Moderator: Ghost Hip

Forum rules
The DIY forum is for personal projects (things that are not for sale, not in production), info sharing, peer to peer assistance. No backdoor spamming (DIY posts that are actually advertisements for your business). No clones of in-production pedals. If you have concerns or questions, feel free to PM admin. Thanks so much!

a really really big fuzz

Postby eatyourguitar » Sun Nov 29, 2015 1:36 pm

a long time ago I posted a modified fuzz factory with 7 knobs that pre-dates any other 7 knob fuzz factory available anywhere. I built it, I learned from it. but then I left the scene for a year. now I am back. I have a computer but no work area to build pedals. I want to design a PCB for a 10 and 11 knob version fuzz factory. I will show you two schematics. one of them has a clean blend, and adjustable input impedance. I call it the adjustable suck fuzz. loss of brightness at the input can be abused by changing the input impedance to something less than ideal for a tone sucking low pass filter.

TL;DR I am designing a PCB for 11 KNOB SUPER BADASS FUZZ. need beta builder to verify the PCB is working before I can sell the PCB. I can supply one PCB each to the first two people who can build an 11 knob fuzz in less than a month after receiving the pcb. 11 knobs hand wired takes time and materials, don't underestimate. I can give you the PCB for free. I can tech support you. you are on your own for the germanium fuzz face transistors. you are on your own for a really big box. you get to keep the pedal and post it on your instagram. you can even sell the finished pedal for huge profits I don't care what you do with it as long as you send me pictures and tell them where you got the PCB from.

https://c2.staticflickr.com/4/3917/15168387878_43b7cc522c_o.gif

https://c1.staticflickr.com/3/2945/15182634869_bd6bb1258f_o.gif

post in here first two people that think they can build it will get it.
Last edited by eatyourguitar on Sun Nov 29, 2015 10:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
WWW.EATYOURGUITAR.COM <---- MY DIY STUFF
eatyourguitar

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Re: a really really big fuzz

Postby multi_s » Sun Nov 29, 2015 3:26 pm

did you already get the pcbs? one thing from looking briefly at the second schem is that i *think* you have a few volts of DC on the output, so it will pop a lot when toggling bypass. look from Pin 7 of IC1 to the output.

maybe measure if you have one built yourself

also are the pots board mounted? if so maybe i would be interested to make one.
multi_s

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby eatyourguitar » Sun Nov 29, 2015 3:51 pm

no I just installed eagle today I am loading up my old files now. I would like to start today doing the design for this PCB. I can just add another 10uf cap in series with R15 I think that fixes it. thanks for noticing you definitely saved me from an error on the first PCB already. I should give you something.
eatyourguitar

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby eatyourguitar » Sun Nov 29, 2015 3:54 pm

multi_s wrote:also are the pots board mounted? if so maybe i would be interested to make one.

I thought it would be way harder to swap resistors and transistors if you have board mounted pots. this is a beta. also, I don't think I want to do all that wiring if I do put it into production so maybe I should just make the PCB all board mounted pots?
eatyourguitar

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Jero » Sun Nov 29, 2015 4:18 pm

Yea I'd go pcb mounted. They can always be wired offboard still for anyone who doesn't want to board mount them. At least that gives you the option.

And the 10uf at r15 addition, seems right
I make noise toys under Stomping Stones

oldangelmidnight wrote:This is the classic ILF I love. Emotional highs and lows. Scooped mids in my heart all day long.
Jero

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby multi_s » Sun Nov 29, 2015 4:44 pm

ya i would also say it's worth spending the extra time now to design with board mounted pots.

if you think the pots would be in the way, or for whatever other reason you don;t want the pots on the same board as the circuit, you could even just make a second board only for the interface and connect it with a ribbon cable etc. 2 layer pcb cost seems to be in a race to the bottom so it's really not that crazy cost wise to do things like that, even in small qty. 2015 baby. almost 16. can't wait for 4 layer to follow suit.

eatyourguitar wrote:no I just installed eagle today I am loading up my old files now. I would like to start today doing the design for this PCB. I can just add another 10uf cap in series with R15 I think that fixes it. thanks for noticing you definitely saved me from an error on the first PCB already. I should give you something.

ya sure that would work. and no worries, im just giving some really quick feedback.

good luck!
multi_s

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby crochambeau » Sun Nov 29, 2015 5:59 pm

I'm up for churning one out if the two preceding builders are just being conversational, you're providing PCB AND the role of bartender in the event your layout is botched.
I've got to get off my ass and bring to reality that what has been quoted through existence.

Rochambeau Musical Apparatus
Reverb storefront
Shark Tank
crochambeau

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby eatyourguitar » Sun Nov 29, 2015 7:32 pm

crochambeau wrote:I'm up for churning one out if the two preceding builders are just being conversational, you're providing PCB AND the role of bartender in the event your layout is botched.

I can give you a PCB but I don't understand the rest of what you said. the analogy was lost in translation sorry. :idk: I have not posted a PCB layout yet so I don't know how it is botched :?:
eatyourguitar

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby multi_s » Sun Nov 29, 2015 8:27 pm

eatyourguitar wrote:
crochambeau wrote:I'm up for churning one out if the two preceding builders are just being conversational, you're providing PCB AND the role of bartender in the event your layout is botched.

I can give you a PCB but I don't understand the rest of what you said. the analogy was lost in translation sorry. :idk: I have not posted a PCB layout yet so I don't know how it is botched :?:

i think he just means you owe him a beer for his troubles if the pcb is problematic.

i would test one if you don't have 2 other takers, but you can also just show me the final design files and maybe i can look at it that way instead if you want some review.

s
multi_s

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby crochambeau » Sun Nov 29, 2015 10:04 pm

eatyourguitar wrote:

Sorry, yeah, I get that a lot...

1) I'm happy to dive into the beta build, thanks! and, yes, you are correct to warn against a panel intensive build, I'm aware of what I'm signing up for...
2) I didn't want to step on anyone's toes, and two people have already participated, so I'm acknowledging right of first refusal even though I didn't get the impression there was a firm "PICK ME!" up to the point I said "PICK ME!"
3) I'm happy you are willing to assist in long distance troubleshooting (you're a madman, this is a huge reason I'm reluctant to offer kits of my designs) and will endeavour to not make mindnumbingly hysterical mistakes (hahaha, seriously though), please overlook any lack of decorum on my part if you catch the ass end of my curmudgeonly manner should there be any faults.....

..which I guess leads me to a clarification I've been ASSuming up to this point - we are talking about a manufactured printed circuit board that will wind up in my mail box and not a roll your own etch image or perf plot, right?
I've got to get off my ass and bring to reality that what has been quoted through existence.

Reverb storefront
Shark Tank
crochambeau

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby eatyourguitar » Sun Nov 29, 2015 10:55 pm

this is the last PCB I designed before I stopped for a while. these are two sided through hole plated with soldermask and silkscreen 1.6mm. I may switch to black if that is something people are ok with.

here are some of the big fuzz boxes I have built
this is a 9 knob vintage russian big muff hand wired all new wires

this was my first fuzz factory. I rebuilt it 3 times. lessons were learned.

eatyourguitar

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby crochambeau » Sun Nov 29, 2015 11:01 pm

Those look nice and sharp!

Reverb storefront
Shark Tank
crochambeau

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby Jero » Mon Nov 30, 2015 1:34 am

For clarity, I wasn't trying to claim a pcb
I make noise toys under Stomping Stones

oldangelmidnight wrote:This is the classic ILF I love. Emotional highs and lows. Scooped mids in my heart all day long.
Jero

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby eatyourguitar » Mon Nov 30, 2015 11:23 am

how do we feel about having the footprint designed to fit expensive switches? for something with board mounted pots and switches, I don't want those taiwanese red switches that are more likely to fail. if you spent $15 for a set of fuzz face transistors on ebay then you can probably buy nice switches. maybe the red's will fit the NKK holes.

http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/NKK-Switches/M2012S2S1W01/
eatyourguitar

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby multi_s » Mon Nov 30, 2015 3:00 pm

I'm pretty sure the manufacturer won't matter much for the spacing, there are typically only 2 small toggle styles from what i have seen , "mini" and "micro". if you get ones that actually have "pcb" mount lugs then the pins are narrower but that is likely common across manufacturers. solder lug ones can be pcb mounted too, just the pad hole size is larger. So the footprint may not actually dictate what manufacturer in the end.
multi_s

IAMILF
IAMILF

Next

Return to DIY Effects