Os Mutantes Regulus VIII

Moderator: Ghost Hip

Forum rules
The DIY forum is for personal projects (things that are not for sale, not in production), info sharing, peer to peer assistance. No backdoor spamming (DIY posts that are actually advertisements for your business). No clones of in-production pedals. If you have concerns or questions, feel free to PM admin. Thanks so much!

Os Mutantes Regulus VIII

Postby Ben79 » Thu Sep 03, 2015 12:16 pm

As you'll see from my other threads I just finished one of these (though I'm still working on making it oscillate). I spent some time experimenting with it so I thought I'd share my findings.

Pinkjimiphoton recommended using leaky low gain NPN germaniums for this so I had a go after using a pair of 2n2222s which sounded good. I tried one low gain ge (50 hfe) for q1, and then q2, partnered with a 2n2222 but the thin setting was muffled and the fat setting wasn't fuzzy enough for my tastes. I found an ac127 that was around 130 hfe (medium leakage) and tried that with the 2n2222 and found that with the germ in q1 and the si in q2, the thin setting was sweeter and the fat setting was REALLY fuzzy and messed up - perfect! I biased q2's collector to 8.8v which is not what's recommended but I found that a lower voltage brought the tone into more mundane distortion territory. The thin setting I found a bit harsh in the treble so I added a 0.01 cap to ground with it which tamed it just fine.

Ben79

experienced
experienced

Re: Os Mutantes Regulus VIII

Postby Chankgeez » Thu Sep 03, 2015 12:35 pm

Nice. :!!!:

Some sound clips if you can, please. :snax:
psychic vampire. wrote:The important take away from this thread: Taoism and Ring Modulators go together?
…...........................…
Sweet dealin's: here
"Now, of course, Strega is not a Minimoog… and I am not Sun Ra" - dude from MAKENOISE
#GreenRinger
Chankgeez

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Location: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FGhbeHujNZQ youtube.com/watch?v=V-2l7kkBURc

Postby Ben79 » Wed Oct 26, 2016 10:45 am

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pxdv5DpHE-E

Apologies for the necro, I never saw the reply for some reason.
Ben79

experienced
experienced

Postby Chankgeez » Wed Oct 26, 2016 10:57 am

Ben79 wrote:

Apologies for the necro, I never saw the reply for some reason.

Sounds good and looks good too! :!!!: :)*
psychic vampire. wrote:The important take away from this thread: Taoism and Ring Modulators go together?
…...........................…
Sweet dealin's: here
"Now, of course, Strega is not a Minimoog… and I am not Sun Ra" - dude from MAKENOISE
#GreenRinger
Chankgeez

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Location: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FGhbeHujNZQ youtube.com/watch?v=V-2l7kkBURc

Postby eatyourguitar » Mon Oct 31, 2016 2:47 pm

if you put 2N2222 maybe try add a 5pf from base to emitter so you can lower the bandwidth of the silicon to be more like germanium. 2N2222 has < 2pf BE junction right from the datasheet if I remember correctly.
WWW.EATYOURGUITAR.COM <---- MY DIY STUFF
eatyourguitar

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby doug deeper » Sun Nov 06, 2016 9:24 pm

If you want to get REALLY wild with pedals with this topology, try something with a Hfe around 200 for Q1, and something around 40 for Q2.
That's if you dig the super blown out tone...which I do.
Magick "i" Envelope Controlled Overdrive out now!
<(o)> <(o)> <(o)> <(o)> <(o)> <(o)> <(o)> <(o)>
doug deeper

committed
committed

Postby Ben79 » Wed Nov 09, 2016 1:14 pm

I dig it Doug, I deeply do.

Just building another one today actually so I'll give it a go.
Ben79

experienced
experienced

Return to DIY Effects