· Gen · Guit · · Bldrs · B/S/T ·

Switch to full style
Do-it-yourself pedal building

Forum rules

The DIY forum is for personal projects (things that are not for sale, not in production), info sharing, peer to peer assistance. No backdoor spamming (DIY posts that are actually advertisements for your business). No clones of in-production pedals. If you have concerns or questions, feel free to PM admin. Thanks so much!
Post a reply

Re: Overdrive + Octave?

Tue Jun 09, 2009 7:36 pm

Scruffie wrote:Aha I just thought of something for Octave down the Electro Harmonix Octave Multiplexer, Schematic can be found here http://topopiccione.atspace.com/pjimage ... er.sch.gif

You wont find an unsynthy, simple Octave down DIY Project to be honest, BOSS OC-2, PAIA Rocktave Divider or The multiplexer are your best bet, or of course the POG which is great but a bit expensive.

An no file attatchment option, PM me your E-mail and i'l send it to you.

Clean Octave.. Won't happen with DIY i'm afraid, i'm currently working on some designs and it's gunna be a long process and a huge build but analogue octave being fuzzy and glitchy is just the nature of it, you really have to go DSP to get clean octave.

Well i have the OC-3 and it gets that annoying digital glitch.. *grumble* I will have to look into those other octaves. Or maybe i can EQ the fuzz out of it? Hmm...

Tue Jun 09, 2009 7:48 pm

probably the best clean non glitchy octave down you're going to find is the Foxrox Octron. Has three knobs, one for fuzzy octave up, one for down and one for a dry signal blend.

I've been on an octave up quest for a while - just built myself a green ringer and a jawari. The jawari beat out everything I've tried so far.

Tue Jun 09, 2009 7:49 pm

If you want the OC-2 I have a simplified only 1 Octave down schematic for it
http://www.aronnelson.com/gallery/main. ... ewsIndex=1
dunno how good you are with schematics, theres the Pearl OC-7 aswell which is supposedly good too, I have the schematic for that floating around somewhere...

Well you can EQ it to an extent yea, there are mods that can be done to help aswell, compression with it would help too, alot of the simpler or subtler octaves need alot of gain to bring out the octave which is why you end up with distortion... it's all very complex, my project is only in the early thinking stages (cause I don't have any money lol) but I shall see how that goes, I will be working to get a clean Octave out of if though...

And isn't the Jawari more of a sitar octavey sound?

Tue Jun 09, 2009 8:11 pm

Scruffie wrote:IAnd isn't the Jawari more of a sitar octavey sound?

I played some crazy fucking electric sitar thing in some guitar shop in london the other week. Playing chords on it was bollocks. The single note stuff, that was awesome :thumb:

not worth £650 :(

Scruffie wrote:If you want the OC-2 I have a simplified only 1 Octave down schematic for it
http://www.aronnelson.com/gallery/main. ... ewsIndex=1
dunno how good you are with schematics, theres the Pearl OC-7 aswell which is supposedly good too, I have the schematic for that floating around somewhere...

I can do schematics no sweat. :]

Lintybits wrote:probably the best clean non glitchy octave down you're going to find is the Foxrox Octron. Has three knobs, one for fuzzy octave up, one for down and one for a dry signal blend.

I've been on an octave up quest for a while - just built myself a green ringer and a jawari. The jawari beat out everything I've tried so far.

The Foxrox is awesome. Is there a schematic for that guy floating around?

I think i wanna do the OCD and Foxrox in the same box. I don't think i'd need the high, but if i can't get rid of it, than so be it.

I wanna do one footswitch for an OD/octave, Basically it'd be like sticking the OD directly infront of it, and just tagging it on after.

or should i do two footswitches... thoughts?

Should i go with the Foxrox? cuz i've been looking and nothing touches how clean that octave is :love:

I'm giddy with excitement. :excellent:

Tue Jun 09, 2009 10:06 pm

Why not have the OCD on a standard footswitch then stick the Octave in the same box with a simple DPDT toggle switch to turn it on and off as an option? That's what i'd do anyway.

Crazy Guitar thing eh? Sounds like a Line 6 Variax, which guitar shop was it? Denmark street? And most octave pedals do track single notes better, they get confused with chords poor things... even the really big expensive Pog gets confused sometimes, the micro less.

Fraid I lack an Foxrox octron schematic, it hasn't been RE'd yet as far as I know, there are gutshots if you wanna try though.

Tue Jun 09, 2009 10:18 pm

Hmmm. That would more than likely make more sense. I was thinking maybe a footswitch, but than i realized i probably would do better with a toggle. Is there a way that i could have the toggle on and still have a footswitch for the channel... I was thinking FS1 would turn the whole pedal off and on, and then toggle switched to the octave channel would turn the octave on. But i want a footswitch available to turn the octave channel on & off when the toggle is flipped. Is that possible, cuz that would be the pedal of my dreams :love:

Well, they show the basic workings of the Foxrox in this video on a *schematic* like thing:

Maybe Guts + Schematic thing = :dance:

Scruffie wrote:Crazy Guitar thing eh? Sounds like a Line 6 Variax, which guitar shop was it? Denmark street? And most octave pedals do track single notes better, they get confused with chords poor things... even the really big expensive Pog gets confused sometimes, the micro less.

Wasn't a Line 6, infact i think it was the company that makes Dano guitars before dano, or other way around, bobby jones or something... i forget.

Tue Jun 09, 2009 10:35 pm

Thinking of that switching made my head hurt lol, perhaps just stick to two footswitches otherwise the toggle seems kinda pointless...

Have you ever Reversed engineered anything from a gutshot cause i'm yet to, don't think it's that easy... surprised it's not a SMD or DSP circuit though.

The mixing idea of the block diagram is a line my pedal was heading down, glad to see it's a good idea... but I intend to make my circuit simpler but I shall see what happens...

Oh and I forgot... it's a double sided board making life more difficult.

Tue Jun 09, 2009 10:45 pm

Scruffie wrote:Thinking of that switching made my head hurt lol, perhaps just stick to two footswitches otherwise the toggle seems kinda pointless...

Have you ever Reversed engineered anything from a gutshot cause i'm yet to, don't think it's that easy... surprised it's not a SMD or DSP circuit though.

The mixing idea of the block diagram is a line my pedal was heading down, glad to see it's a good idea... but I intend to make my circuit simpler but I shall see what happens...

Oh and I forgot... it's a double sided board making life more difficult.

If you happen to have BOTH sides of the PCB, than i can probably rack my brain over it for a while.

Well if i have two footswitches, can the first one act as a killswitch as well? like i can be using the pedal and hit that one and turn it off? i'm pretty sure i'm just an idiot and that was a roundabout way for me figuring out that i'm in fact an idiot. I'm pretty sure you can do that, now that i am thinking about it.

Tue Jun 09, 2009 10:56 pm

http://cid-8443307c0dcef0fc.skydrive.li ... spx/octron knock yourself out!

And yea you can kill the whole circuit at the main footswitch and then have the octave foot switchable seperatley

(Using 2 DPDT)

Wire the Octave True Bypass As Normal, In on the right side of the switch, Out on the Left side
Run the out side (which would normally have gone to the out jack) of the DPDT into the OCD Circuit and the In Side (which would have gone to the input) to the In of the other DPDT switch then run the Out of the OCD Circuit as normal and then the rest of the switch like normal... that is a bit confusing but without being able to link a photo it's a bit hard to show you.

Tue Jun 09, 2009 11:06 pm

Thank you Scruffie.

I figure i wont be able to get to deciphering the code until july...

I have a few days left in London, Heading to Hungary for 10 days, flying back to the states, and then moving to philly.

I won't have time to think. but when i get it goin.... :evil:

i'll probably come back to you with both schematics because i lost myself with the bypass bit. but its 4am and that's probably why.

Many thanks again!! :hug:

Tue Jun 09, 2009 11:10 pm

Lol yea, it's 4 a.m for me too as i'm in the U.K hence the difficulty describing it, i'l try and get a photobucket or something to show you a drawing and get you that vero layout.

Okies man, well I look forward to those schematics! Have a good trip!

:hug:

No problem and chat soon.
Post a reply