MT-2 Mods? Any good ones out there?

Moderator: Ghost Hip

Forum rules
The DIY forum is for personal projects (things that are not for sale, not in production), info sharing, peer to peer assistance. No backdoor spamming (DIY posts that are actually advertisements for your business). No clones of in-production pedals. If you have concerns or questions, feel free to PM admin. Thanks so much!

MT-2 Mods? Any good ones out there?

Postby Enoch-Fox » Sat Jun 06, 2009 1:39 am

I just came by a boss MT at a garage sale for like 5 bucks
figured i'd use it mainly for making really awful trebley noisey stuff but
if there are mods to make it like legit usable then I'd like to try em out

anything anybody knows of that a beginner could do to make this box a bit more respectable

Been looking at keeley mod, pedaldoc, and just scrounging for schems and info and such
Last edited by Enoch-Fox on Mon Jun 08, 2009 12:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Enoch-Fox

involved
involved

Re: What to do with a metal zone (seriously)

Postby Scruffie » Sun Jun 07, 2009 9:18 pm

Hey there, First post here from a member of an other stomp box forum...

I'd first suggest finding an Schematic of the pedal unless it has silkscreened numbers on the board in which case (from the schematic)

You can mod it to keeley specs by changing
C20 to a 0.22uF Cap
C42 to a 0.1uF
C37, 39, 17 & 11 to a 1uF
C8 to a 0.22uF
C9 to a 0.1uF
C20 to a 0.22uF
And Finally Clipping Diodes D3 & 4 to 3mm Red LED's

Theres most of the mods you could want here (including schematic and board layout & the keeley mod I suggested) http://www.freestompboxes.org/viewtopic ... tal#p35385

Hope this helps!

Scruffie.
Scruffie

Admin
Admin

Re: MT-2 Mods? Any good ones out there?

Postby Enoch-Fox » Mon Jun 08, 2009 12:09 am

Thanks! I saw that earlier... wonder what keeley's 3P "mode" switch goes to.
Yeah I think I'll try some of those... that first one about removing a couple of those caps and changing the values... seems to be a common one that tones down that lo-fi nasally nonsense that the thing has

not sure if I wanna sink a bunch a money into it but I would like to fool around with it and see what I can do

has anyone ever worked with pedaldoc? Their kit seems a lot cheaper than the rest of this stuff but a bit easier for someone who knows nothing about where to get parts... if I messed with it this'd be my first time touching a soldering iron since a science class I took in like 6th grade... but I haven't heard much (good or bad) about their mods that doesn't seem like generic internet "THIS IS THE BEST NOW I SOUND EXACTLY LIKE PENNYWISE" or whatever
Enoch-Fox

involved
involved

Postby Scruffie » Mon Jun 08, 2009 12:17 am

What country are you located in?

I could give you some links to where to get parts or if you wanted post it over to me and i'l mod it for you (don't worry lol, i've done it before)

You can probably find some videos demoing the mods and then pick what you want, the cost of a few caps wont be much mind to mod it, unless you want to go for really high quality parts (which I highly doubt the original contains)

I'd assume there mods are pretty generic (although I can't be certain)... the guys over at the forum linked know what theyre on about and someone there has probably dealt with pedaldoc in which case they'd have most likely investigated the mods done to it, the MT-2 is a common pedal to mod... cause it doesn't sound that great.

I say go for it yourself, get in there with the soldering iron, as long as it's got a fine tip and you get some de soldering braid to remove the old solder or get a solder pump (about £4) to remove it you'll be fine, practice on some bits of scrap wire first.

Infact looking at the kit it gives you 2 red LED's (to replace the clipping diodes of the circuit like keeley does and is probably the easiest mod to improve sound) and some soldering braid to do as I said above the rest are just a few value changes to change the overall tone of the circuit, easily done.

The kit isn't overpriced but you could get the parts cheaper and do it yourself without the kit for about half the price probably.
Scruffie

Admin
Admin

Postby Enoch-Fox » Mon Jun 08, 2009 7:52 pm

I'm located in the U.S...

yeah I figured as much on the pricing... I guess since I don't have much in the pedal I shouldn't be too hesitant to fool around with it. Thanks for being such a big help :3
Enoch-Fox

involved
involved

Postby Scruffie » Mon Jun 08, 2009 8:10 pm

No Problem!

Well you probably know of www.smallbearelec.com & www.mouser.com for parts if your in the U.S then

Yea it was only $5 what have you got to loose (except $5 and owning an lump of metal that does nothing unless you rehouse another effect or ebay it for spares/repairs)

Good luck and lemme know how it goes!
Scruffie

Admin
Admin

Return to DIY Effects