My BYOC experience

Moderator: Ghost Hip

Forum rules
The DIY forum is for personal projects (things that are not for sale, not in production), info sharing, peer to peer assistance. No backdoor spamming (DIY posts that are actually advertisements for your business). No clones of in-production pedals. If you have concerns or questions, feel free to PM admin. Thanks so much!

My BYOC experience

Postby bigchiefbc » Fri Apr 24, 2009 9:29 am

So, I just finished my very first pedal build, a BYOC filter kit. I am a COMPLETE noob. This was literally the first time in my life soldering.

Well, I was getting nervous building this thing, but I have to say, it wasn't that hard, and it worked perfectly first time through! BYOC also sends first-time kit buyers a signal tester and a "confidence booster" circuit free, as practice before trying the real kit.

Getting the PCB populated was very simple. The only difficult part was the wiring to/from the jacks, the AC jack, and the bypass switch. Lot of wires, not much room.

The instructions were fantastically written. The only confusing part for me was that it took me a while to realize that although my pots were not the board-mounted type, the toggle switch WAS. This was realized after I had already wired up the toggle switch. :facepalm: But that was the only time I had to unsolder and redo anything in the entire project.

As for the effect itself, for those not familiar, this is a clone of the DOD 440 envelope filter, except it also has a manual mode where you can set the filter at a fixed frequency. Also, BYOC is cool enough to include extra capacitors for you to mod it for bass frequencies. With that mode, it gets very deep into the bass range. When the filter closes on the decay of your note, you get this bassy "gulping" sound that shakes walls. Pretty badass, I have to say.

Final verdict, BYOC rules. If you've never DIY'ed before, try it. If I was able to do this, so can you.

PIX:

Finished pedal:

Gutshot:

The confidence booster (my first build):

Buy my gear! viewtopic.php?f=44&t=58763

Achtane wrote:I can hit it with a Blowing Up and it'll just sound awesome instead of like capacitors farting into each others' dicks.

Achtane wrote:
last.fm wrote:Zs makes music that is variously categorized as no-wave, post-jazz, brutal-chamber, brutal-prog, and post minimalist.

srsly?

Fuck you.
bigchiefbc

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Re: My BYOC experience

Postby veteransdaypoppy » Fri Apr 24, 2009 10:21 am

Congratulations man! :thumb:
Are you addicted yet? :excellent:
well i guess, but i just don't know.

dollys
veteransdaypoppy

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby bigchiefbc » Fri Apr 24, 2009 11:04 am

veteransdaypoppy wrote:Are you addicted yet? :excellent:

I would say yes, but I really do want to learn some real theory on this stuff before I go too hog-wild. Time to pick up some books

Achtane wrote:I can hit it with a Blowing Up and it'll just sound awesome instead of like capacitors farting into each others' dicks.

Achtane wrote:
last.fm wrote:Zs makes music that is variously categorized as no-wave, post-jazz, brutal-chamber, brutal-prog, and post minimalist.

srsly?

Fuck you.
bigchiefbc

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby veteransdaypoppy » Fri Apr 24, 2009 7:40 pm

http://beavisaudio.com/techpages/buildstuff/
This place is great and free to learn some basic stuff. :)
And it was recommended by Devi to me, so it's gotta be good.

dollys
veteransdaypoppy

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby mathias » Fri Apr 24, 2009 8:20 pm

Looks like they're shipping better wire with the kits :joy:
ILF Equipped :love:

skullservant wrote:You can like whatever you want so long as it makes you happy

Searching for that new sound.
If you can read this, then I'm back? :?:
mathias

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby WaveForm3 » Fri Apr 24, 2009 9:49 pm

Kickass!
Devi Ever fx: LP KP
WaveForm3

experienced
experienced

Postby bigchiefbc » Fri Apr 24, 2009 10:58 pm

Oh yeah, by the way, if you guys want to hear a clip of it, here is some embarassingly bad white boy funk:

http://bassfxpedals.com/clips/byoc-filter1.mp3

Achtane wrote:

srsly?

Fuck you.
bigchiefbc

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Brettski » Sun Apr 26, 2009 5:01 pm

DOOOOD! That sounds fantastic!!! I'm building (starting) my first BYOC tomrrow!!! I'm building the Shredder first, and maybe the envelope filter next, and then the five knob compressor, and then the Mouse and then the Chorus, and then the Armstrong Twin and then I run out of money and go bankrupt...

CRAP!!! :erm:
Assume a spherical chicken.
Brettski

committed
committed

Postby ohsojayadeva » Sun Apr 26, 2009 8:47 pm

BYOC is awesome. they definitely started me on the DIY road.
ohsojayadeva

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby Brettski » Thu Apr 30, 2009 4:59 pm

I got the Shredder board populated fairly easily, though I used the SIDE of my soldering iron because the tip oxidized and wouldn't melt solder. A buddy of mine has since helped me through properly tinning the tip so hopefully the next phase will be a little easier.

During my ridiculous escapades with the side of my soldering iron, I liquefied my 2.1mm DC jack and in a stroke of brilliance, I immediately burned myself (note to self NO MORE COFFEE). I have the part on order from Pedal Parts Plus, but it's a drag that I have to wait longer to get my device up and snarling.

Oh well, I'm a convert now. I'm not going to be buying normal guitar effects anymore, it's BYOC for me!!
Assume a spherical chicken.
Brettski

committed
committed

Postby TheAttackman » Thu Apr 30, 2009 6:59 pm

niiiiiiiiiiiice.
next step=from scratch
then from schematic...

and then.......

designing your own...
or you can skip all that inbetween! :thumb:
TheAttackman

experienced
experienced

Postby veteransdaypoppy » Thu Apr 30, 2009 10:06 pm

My first build was from a schematic... I fried the pots and bought a momentary dpdt stomper by accident...
But it still worked :lol:

dollys
veteransdaypoppy

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby Spiteface » Tue May 12, 2009 3:08 pm

I've been thinking of doing a BYOC kit - possibly a Large Beaver, being a Big Muff fan.

I checked out the forum over there and might even try the "Creamy Dreamer" mod. I'm fully aware that the whole "Billy Corgan used one" thing is a total myth, but I've always been curious as to how it sounds.

That said, I have a spare NYC reissue Muff somewhere, maybe I could try it on that, just for the soldering experience, really...
People assume that time is a strict progression of cause to effect, but actually from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint, it's more like a big ball of wibbly-wobbly, timey-wimey... stuff.
Spiteface

committed
committed

Postby metulmykul » Sat Jun 06, 2009 2:13 am

Greetings...first post here.

My BYOC Leeds Fuzz was my first build. I have since built 8 other fuzzies from scratch: a couple of Colorsound 1 knobs, Wooly Mammoths and Super-Fuzz's.

Man i love the fuzz :thumb:
metulmykul

uncommitted
uncommitted

Postby Wizard » Sat Jun 06, 2009 3:26 am

I always found it easiest to solder with the good ol' weller 8200 gun. You get alot more control, and it gets fucking hot, real quick. so it's just click, 1..2..3.. tin the tip, tap the connection 1.. 2.. and it's as easy as pie. God i miss working in the shop. :cry:

you can get 'em real cheap on ebay. like 20$.

I was taught the vintage wellers were the best, because later it had a limiter put on it, so it couldn't get as hot, as quick. Either way, i'm a solder gun sorta guy :)
I've got a fuzzbox and i'm not afraid to use it

jrmy wrote:And unlike the rest of the country, we recognize Sarcasm as a crucial building block of spoken language. Kind of like umami in cooking.
Wizard

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Return to DIY Effects