Beavis Audio Board Differences?

Moderators: Ghost Hip, Gunner Recall, metalmariachi

Forum rules
The DIY forum is for personal projects (things that are not for sale, not in production), info sharing, peer to peer assistance. No backdoor spamming (DIY posts that are actually advertisements for your business). No clones of in-production pedals. If you have concerns or questions, feel free to PM admin. Thanks so much!

Beavis Audio Board Differences?

Postby MannequinRaces » Wed Apr 08, 2009 3:21 pm

Hi all,

I was wondering if anyone knew the difference between the different Beavis Boards offered? I can't find a description anywhere! There are two boards that they offer for sale; one is a beavis board complete kit for $249 and the other just says beavis board only for $109. I'm guessing that the complete kit comes with all the parts (caps, resistors, diodes, etc. ) and the board does not come with the parts. Does the board only still come with a multimeter?

If anybody has one of these and has any input on them that would also be great!

I'm a beginner into the world of electronics and just want to mess around with building my own circuits.

Thanks,

Adam
:)
Quirky music for quirky people can be found at http://mannequinraces.bandcamp.com/!
elbandito wrote:I returned it a month later because drummers don't like to count
MannequinRaces

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Re: Beavis Audio Board Differences?

Postby korvis » Thu Apr 09, 2009 3:27 am

the beavis board faq says: "Yes, the board alone (no bags of parts, meter, etc) is available"

so i'd assume it really is just the board and nothing else

http://www.beavisaudio.com/bboard/faq.htm

i just ordered one, and am waiting for them to put it together, it's been at least a week, it might take another two or three, not sure, they have a waiting list.
korvis

interested
interested

Postby MannequinRaces » Thu Apr 09, 2009 4:08 am

korvis wrote:the beavis board faq says: "Yes, the board alone (no bags of parts, meter, etc) is available"

so i'd assume it really is just the board and nothing else

http://www.beavisaudio.com/bboard/faq.htm

i just ordered one, and am waiting for them to put it together, it's been at least a week, it might take another two or three, not sure, they have a waiting list.

Thanks a lot for your reply. I didn't see that FAQ page. I guess I should have searched a little harder! :erm:

I wonder if they could put me together a kit without the meter? How long is the waiting list, any idea? I can't believe Beavis Audio Research is the only place that makes something like this. I mean really, Dano has taken the guess work out of getting all those parts and it comes with a slick enclosure so you can get playing/prototyping right away! That's awesome! :)

Thanks again for your response. I really appreciate it!
Quirky music for quirky people can be found at http://mannequinraces.bandcamp.com/!
elbandito wrote:I returned it a month later because drummers don't like to count
MannequinRaces

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby harpies » Thu Apr 09, 2009 2:32 pm

I've got the complete board set. it is a LONG wait, but I was antsy to get mine for christmas. The cheaper version is just the board (what is pictured in the top pic only: http://www.beavisaudio.com/bboard/).

I keep meaning to order some parts so I can do some builds not on his site, but I go back and forth on if I should keep the board or sell it. I bought it with the intention of learning more about circuits, begin designing, and stop buying so many pedals, but the deeper I get, the more I realize the less I know. And, it hasn't stopped me one bit from buying pedals.
harpies

experienced
experienced

Postby MannequinRaces » Fri Apr 10, 2009 3:00 am

theinteriorleag wrote:I've got the complete board set. it is a LONG wait, but I was antsy to get mine for christmas. The cheaper version is just the board (what is pictured in the top pic only: http://www.beavisaudio.com/bboard/).

I keep meaning to order some parts so I can do some builds not on his site, but I go back and forth on if I should keep the board or sell it. I bought it with the intention of learning more about circuits, begin designing, and stop buying so many pedals, but the deeper I get, the more I realize the less I know. And, it hasn't stopped me one bit from buying pedals.

If you ever think about selling it let me know! The reason I want one is for the same intentions, but like you I am starting to see that the rabbit hole goes pretty deep. My biggest problem right now is trying to learn how different components affect the sound of the output signal. I've been reading through my book Electronic Projects for Musicians but Mr. Anderton doesn't explain why a certain resistor is used over another like why a 10k resistor was used instead of a 100k resistor! I guess I need a book dedicated to learning electronics and the theories and formulas. The Beavis board looks to be sort of the same way but at least Dano tells you in the mod sections of the projects what parts to use to try to get different sounds. If you have any suggestions for beginning electronics books that would be awesome. ;)

I need something that's for a beginner and geared towards electronic applications with audio signals. Does such a thing exist?! :facepalm:
MannequinRaces

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby harpies » Fri Apr 10, 2009 10:05 am

Mannequin...pm me an email addy with some large storage space. I can send you some very good help for learning about building.

I haven't come across a lot of resources that explain the difference between how various models of components effect sound (ie., different transistors), but you should be able to get some good info. on how various components (ie., resistors vs. transistors vs. capacitors) effect the circuit. I think the stuff I want to send you has some of that info. You should also download the manual for the Beavis Board. It is helpful.

I'm not sure about selling my beavis board yet. the other half might get mad since it was a christmas present, and I still have some intention of using it. It just might be a long time before I do put it to good use...then again, my closet is filled with hobby gear that never got off the ground.
harpies

experienced
experienced

Return to DIY Effects