Let's see your finished DIY projects!

Moderator: Ghost Hip

Forum rules
The DIY forum is for personal projects (things that are not for sale, not in production), info sharing, peer to peer assistance. No backdoor spamming (DIY posts that are actually advertisements for your business). No clones of in-production pedals. If you have concerns or questions, feel free to PM admin. Thanks so much!

Re: Let's see your finished DIY projects!

Postby Strange Tales » Mon Dec 12, 2016 2:58 pm

culturejam wrote:^^ Fuck, did you do all that surface-mount soldering yourself?

Yep, all hand-done. Bought a hot air-gun station to try using that but I can never get the syringe flux to spread how I want.
木枯らし // 木漏れ日 // 風に綱は戦ぐ

Strange Tales Distro - Japanese Underground Music Distribution in the US

Invisible Man wrote:Strange Tales: putting the ‘weeb’ in ‘dweeb’ since whenever.
Strange Tales

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby LaoWiz » Mon Dec 12, 2016 7:32 pm

Saw a Harmonic Percolator build report on Madbean recently and it got me back to researching. The one I built years ago on Madbean's Pepperspray board gave one the option to build per Albini specs or Stock specs. The one I made was to Albini specs and remember being underwhelmed. It was kind of a nicely colored overdrive leaning towards a fuzz but not too extreme. This was also a period when I was etching lots of boards from readily available layouts and doing less breadboarding. I dug back into HP research and decided to give it another go. After fiddling around with it on the breadboard for a day with the circuit closer to the George Giblet specs, which I believe are the based off a trace of one of the originals, I was very pleased with some nice slamming fuzz. And lots of variation of the sound by changing out transistors and diode combinations. Tweaked some values for my taste and just love it. Since the parts count is relatively low, I may put two in a box to cascade the circuits or just build two. Now just need to do some graphics for a box, thinking gonna stick it in a superfuzz style enclosure...

Imagepic host
LaoWiz

Supporter
Supporter

Postby Jwar » Fri Dec 16, 2016 11:42 am

digi2t wrote:
jwar wrote:
digi2t wrote:Aion LAB Series L5 preamp. Great looking board, very elegant enclosure. Hat's off to Kevin at Aion for some fine products.

The Refractor (Klon clone) has also become a fav.

Good God this is insanely cool!!!

Since it's asked question here....can you tell me where you got those knobs? Those things are brilliant looking. The whole pedal is amazing.

Yup, they do look sharp indeed, but not cheap. In Canadian dollars, the set of 20 came to $40. Here's the link;

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/141695237174

Don't be afraid to try different op-amps in this either. In the end, I ended up going with a mix of OPA's and 072's.

Shit cheaper than what I paid on Smallbear...Noted and will buy soon! Thank you!

So I need a semi easy project to do. I've been out of the building game for long enough that I forgot almost everything. Anyone got a kit I can do for stupid cheap? I don't need cases, just pcb and parts.
"I do not have the ability to think rationally 90% of the time and I also change my mind at the drop of a hat".

-JWAR :)
Jwar

Cosmic of BILF
Cosmic of BILF

Postby Jwar » Fri Dec 16, 2016 11:42 am

Come to think of it. All I need is the actual components and pcb. I have jacks, power, and stomps...etc.
"I do not have the ability to think rationally 90% of the time and I also change my mind at the drop of a hat".

Jwar

Cosmic of BILF
Cosmic of BILF

Postby digi2t » Fri Dec 16, 2016 2:45 pm

jwar wrote:Come to think of it. All I need is the actual components and pcb. I have jacks, power, and stomps...etc.

Fuzz? Modulation? Overdrive? Hard to make a recommendation without knowing what you're hankerin' for. :lol:
"Turn down the amp, strum harder." - PRR

http://www.deadendfx.com/
digi2t

experienced
experienced

Postby Jwar » Fri Dec 16, 2016 7:13 pm

digi2t wrote:
jwar wrote:Come to think of it. All I need is the actual components and pcb. I have jacks, power, and stomps...etc.

Fuzz? Modulation? Overdrive? Hard to make a recommendation without knowing what you're hankerin' for. :lol:

Modulation would be cool!

Jwar

Cosmic of BILF
Cosmic of BILF

Postby chamberpain » Sat Dec 17, 2016 2:34 pm

Just finished wiring up a fuzz face for my brother for Christmas. He's in the process of steampunking a Yamaha start copy and wanted a fuzz to mount onto the body.
Attachments
IMG_7045.JPG
IMG_7045.JPG (99.33 KiB) Viewed 5540 times
IMG_7044.JPG
IMG_7044.JPG (133.35 KiB) Viewed 5540 times
http://bastardsonsofajudasgoat.bandcamp.com

Successful transactions with Casavettes~Helter~Derelict78~ooop~DannDubbleEwe~WORMDIRT~space6oy~sergiomunoz74~duckworship~blakestree~doommeow
chamberpain

committed
committed

Postby kbit » Tue Dec 20, 2016 8:33 pm

Seeing the guts all lit up like that is dope :thumb:

I did my first pedal mod on a DL4, with a bit of assistance from mr ss/bs. Replced the footswitches, added the footswitch to toggle back and forth between looping and delay modes, and the paint job. I thought the color was going to be more like flat black with copper flakes, but that dark bronze is cool, too. Didnt clear coat it so the green will start to show through again eventually.

(excuse the rotation, tinypic was being dumb)
D.o.S. wrote:I'm fucking stupid and no one should operate under any other premise.
kbit

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby UglyCasanova » Wed Dec 21, 2016 9:44 am

kbit wrote: Didnt clear coat it so the green will start to show through again eventually.

Doing it right. I like the color too! :snax:
UglyCasanova

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby imJonWain » Fri Dec 23, 2016 12:20 pm

I took a SD phatcat I had and turned it into a quasi EGC/TB style pickup. I removed the bar magnets underneath, drilled out the pole piece holes and put in some alinco5 rod magnets from an old telecaster neck pickup i had. Then I machined a steel plate to fit under neath and around the magnets. I like it so far, sounds like a fat bright loud single coil haha.

pickup.jpg
pickup.jpg (262.49 KiB) Viewed 5412 times
"To my lay mind, the lobster's behavior in the kettle appears to be the expression of a preference; and it may well be that an ability to form preferences is the decisive criterion for real suffering."
http://www.TFRelectronics.com <project info
https://oshpark.com/profiles/TFRelectronics <oshpark shared boards
https://www.staticdisaster.com/ <my radio show
imJonWain

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby skullservant » Sat Dec 24, 2016 10:54 am

LaoWiz wrote:Saw a Harmonic Percolator build report on Madbean recently and it got me back to researching. The one I built years ago on Madbean's Pepperspray board gave one the option to build per Albini specs or Stock specs. The one I made was to Albini specs and remember being underwhelmed. It was kind of a nicely colored overdrive leaning towards a fuzz but not too extreme. This was also a period when I was etching lots of boards from readily available layouts and doing less breadboarding. I dug back into HP research and decided to give it another go. After fiddling around with it on the breadboard for a day with the circuit closer to the George Giblet specs, which I believe are the based off a trace of one of the originals, I was very pleased with some nice slamming fuzz. And lots of variation of the sound by changing out transistors and diode combinations. Tweaked some values for my taste and just love it. Since the parts count is relatively low, I may put two in a box to cascade the circuits or just build two. Now just need to do some graphics for a box, thinking gonna stick it in a superfuzz style enclosure...

Imagepic host

DUDE YES PLEASE
skullservant

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby skullservant » Sat Dec 24, 2016 10:54 am

imJonWain wrote:I took a SD phatcat I had and turned it into a quasi EGC/TB style pickup. I removed the bar magnets underneath, drilled out the pole piece holes and put in some alinco5 rod magnets from an old telecaster neck pickup i had. Then I machined a steel plate to fit under neath and around the magnets. I like it so far, sounds like a fat bright loud single coil haha.

pickup.jpg

This is amazing
skullservant

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Jwar » Sat Dec 24, 2016 11:03 pm

So guys? Anyone going to suggest anything for me here? LOL! Cheap kit that will jump start me??? Fuzz is fine too. It can be whatever. I just need to start getting my confidence back.

Jwar

Cosmic of BILF
Cosmic of BILF

Postby peeps » Mon Dec 26, 2016 11:09 pm

Fuzzrite on eyelet. 2n2926 transistors and a little power/rf filter board.
Attachments
IMG_1148.JPG
IMG_1148.JPG (53.26 KiB) Viewed 5301 times
IMG_1147.JPG
IMG_1147.JPG (69.78 KiB) Viewed 5301 times
peeps

uncommitted
uncommitted

Postby imJonWain » Tue Dec 27, 2016 9:16 pm

Fuzz face or a Bass Fuzz is a good start, I liked experimenting with the bass fuzz a lot. A perf board Ampeg scrambler can be a fun n challenging project, it was my first more serious one.

jwar wrote:So guys? Anyone going to suggest anything for me here? LOL! Cheap kit that will jump start me??? Fuzz is fine too. It can be whatever. I just need to start getting my confidence back.
"To my lay mind, the lobster's behavior in the kettle appears to be the expression of a preference; and it may well be that an ability to form preferences is the decisive criterion for real suffering."
http://www.TFRelectronics.com <project info
https://oshpark.com/profiles/TFRelectronics <oshpark shared boards
https://www.staticdisaster.com/ <my radio show
imJonWain

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

PreviousNext

Return to DIY Effects