Let's see your finished DIY projects!

Moderator: Ghost Hip

Forum rules
The DIY forum is for personal projects (things that are not for sale, not in production), info sharing, peer to peer assistance. No backdoor spamming (DIY posts that are actually advertisements for your business). No clones of in-production pedals. If you have concerns or questions, feel free to PM admin. Thanks so much!

Re: Let's see your finished DIY projects!

Postby crochambeau » Sun Jan 14, 2018 2:04 am

I usually avoid posting in this thread because most of my builds are business related, this one, however...

A more in depth write up here: http://crochambeau.blogspot.com/2018/01 ... -ogle.html
I've got to get off my ass and bring to reality that what has been quoted through existence.

Rochambeau Musical Apparatus
Reverb storefront
Shark Tank
crochambeau

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby DRodriguez » Sun Jan 14, 2018 4:17 am

Rad! Great to read about the process. Loving playing with it.

Here's my utility build of the day :

Ground isolator with various noise clean up options. And XLR speaker switcher.

Old school transformers because they are about half the price of new ones at only 4x the size.
DRodriguez

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby ibarakishi » Sun Jan 14, 2018 5:27 am

crochambeau wrote:I usually avoid posting in this thread because most of my builds are business related, this one, however...

A more in depth write up here: http://crochambeau.blogspot.com/2018/01 ... -ogle.html

really interesting reading about the process, makes me appreciate it even more now. it was stuffed full!
good deals/trades/business with: JonnyAngle, rdw102, crochambeau, worra, $harkToootth, Olin, fuzzonaut, friendship, ianmarks, digi2t
ibarakishi

experienced
experienced

Postby ibarakishi » Sun Jan 14, 2018 8:59 am

DRodriguez wrote:Rad! Great to read about the process. Loving playing with it.

Here's my utility build of the day :

Ground isolator with various noise clean up options. And XLR speaker switcher.

Old school transformers because they are about half the price of new ones at only 4x the size.

Really want to know how this works (switches, etc.) and how you use it in your studio. Was it pretty expensive to build? And did it solve the problems you were having that inspired you to make it?
good deals/trades/business with: JonnyAngle, rdw102, crochambeau, worra, $harkToootth, Olin, fuzzonaut, friendship, ianmarks, digi2t
ibarakishi

experienced
experienced

Postby crochambeau » Sun Jan 14, 2018 12:34 pm

Are those octal based transformers? Surplus, or does new production still exist in that form?
I've got to get off my ass and bring to reality that what has been quoted through existence.

Rochambeau Musical Apparatus
Reverb storefront
Shark Tank
crochambeau

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby imJonWain » Sun Jan 14, 2018 2:24 pm

It looks like it. They still make octal based transformers and relays as far as I know, just not super common. The equipment at my work used for dicing wafers uses octal sockets, stuff is from the early 2000s though.
"To my lay mind, the lobster's behavior in the kettle appears to be the expression of a preference; and it may well be that an ability to form preferences is the decisive criterion for real suffering."
http://www.TFRelectronics.com <project info
https://oshpark.com/profiles/TFRelectronics <oshpark shared boards
https://www.staticdisaster.com/ <my radio show
imJonWain

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby DRodriguez » Sun Jan 14, 2018 2:39 pm

Yup, octal base. These are old reused transformers. Altec Lansing 15335a. Similar specs to modern Jensen transformers you find in all the high end gear at a fraction of the cost. Not sure bout modern production of similar devices, but old ones in good condition aren't overly hard to find

ibarakishi wrote:Really want to know how this works (switches, etc.) and how you use it in your studio. Was it pretty expensive to build? And did it solve the problems you were having that inspired you to make it?

Middle switch is a speaker switcher. A-Off-B. The switches to the left and right are a mirror of each other for the left channel and right channel. So you have 2 pairs of 4 controls. They basically break ground at different points or throw a capacitor in for filtering at different spots. Total cost to build was around $120 Which is fairly cheap for the quality. Jensen sells a comparable circuit for around $270. Definitely solved my issues.
DRodriguez

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby $harkToootth » Thu Jan 18, 2018 12:05 pm

Umm...this page...fuarkkkk
"SWIPE LEFT ASSHOLE!" -retinal orbita
"Whatever ASSHOLE here’s my pedal that makes humpback whale noises and also it has a built in sequencer so stick it in your craw! -retinal orbita
"Patty Mullen takes me from a ball peen to a sledge" -The Great Velvet Hammer
"...at this exact moment Divine has learned of your jealous scheme from the local town gossip. She also has your address, ASS HOLE!" -Narrator (Mr. J) PINK FLAMINGOS
1 bird per post please
$harkToootth

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby soldersqueeze » Thu Jan 18, 2018 4:46 pm

Not posted here much of late, but getting back into building effects stuff and finally built something not currently in production :) I got this working today-

Schumann PLL built the hard way. Totally bonkerdoodles.
soldersqueeze

committed
committed

Postby BetterOffShred » Thu Jan 18, 2018 5:54 pm

Yeah Alex's layout is what I used too :) I built both mod boards into mine as well, there's a pic of it a page back or 2. It's a fairly complex build.
BetterOffShred

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby soldersqueeze » Thu Jan 18, 2018 6:15 pm

BetterOffShred wrote:Yeah Alex's layout is what I used too :) I built both mod boards into mine as well, there's a pic of it a page back or 2. It's a fairly complex build.

God damn your build is beautiful! I don't know how I didn't see that. Do you have a photo of the guts?
soldersqueeze

committed
committed

Postby BetterOffShred » Thu Jan 18, 2018 11:43 pm

soldersqueeze wrote:
BetterOffShred wrote:Yeah Alex's layout is what I used too :) I built both mod boards into mine as well, there's a pic of it a page back or 2. It's a fairly complex build.

God damn your build is beautiful! I don't know how I didn't see that. Do you have a photo of the guts?

Thanks man, I didn't mean to sound douchey with my self rep there Haha! I like your build too, I respect anyone who gives it a go. At least you don't have to match finicky germanium transistors or something with it. It's just a nightmare of wiring.

I sure do have pics of the guts.. and yeah they are horrible. Yours is much neater than mine. I will say having seen gut shots of a couple of the original Schumann units .. mine is at least cleaner than his were :thumb: your wiring is very nice.
BetterOffShred

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby $harkToootth » Fri Jan 19, 2018 12:41 pm

I really like the aesthetics of both your builds.
"SWIPE LEFT ASSHOLE!" -retinal orbita
"Whatever ASSHOLE here’s my pedal that makes humpback whale noises and also it has a built in sequencer so stick it in your craw! -retinal orbita
"Patty Mullen takes me from a ball peen to a sledge" -The Great Velvet Hammer
"...at this exact moment Divine has learned of your jealous scheme from the local town gossip. She also has your address, ASS HOLE!" -Narrator (Mr. J) PINK FLAMINGOS
1 bird per post please
$harkToootth

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby BetterOffShred » Fri Jan 19, 2018 1:21 pm

$harkToootth wrote:I really like the aesthetics of both your builds.

:hug:

Thanks man, it was a labor of love .. and I love hot pink :cool:
BetterOffShred

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Achtane » Thu Jan 25, 2018 11:12 pm

Hey, I finally made a thing.
I've built a few kit pedals before with mixed results, but this is the first circuit I breadboarded from the schematic, modified a bit, drew a perfboard diagram for and assembled. It even (mostly) worked from the first try, simply amazing :lol:
Definitely a confidence booster.
It's just a Bazz Fuss at heart, but I'm very happy that it A) works, and b) sounds neat.
So it's actually two circuits on one board, because the right footswitch sends the output from circuit B into circuit A (making a Buzz Box).
The toggle on the right switches between silicon diode and LED. The left two toggles switch between a single transistor or a cascaded two-transistor Darlington pair for each circuit. I'm sure there is some fancy switching method I could have used in order to apply that to both circuits, but I couldn't brainstorm it. It's a 6-transistor BF :lol:

Sounds pretty badass for something so simple. I could ditch the volume knob altogether, or really add a booster to the single-circuit mode. It's about unity gain right now. Maybe next time.
I bent some scrap steel for the enclosure, and stained some plywood. Didn't have the patience to wait for the spray finish to dry, so instead I wrapped it in gauze, dumped alcohol on it and hit it with a blowtorch.
Protip: don't use this finishing technique as close to your garage door as I did.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Louy7zH9guw
sonidero wrote:Roll a plus 13 for fire and with my immunity to wack I dodge the cough and pass a turn to chill and look at these rocks...

kbithecrowing wrote:Making out with my girl friday night, I couldn't stop thinking about flangers.

Achtane

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

PreviousNext

Return to DIY Effects