Let's see your finished DIY projects!

Moderator: Ghost Hip

Forum rules
The DIY forum is for personal projects (things that are not for sale, not in production), info sharing, peer to peer assistance. No backdoor spamming (DIY posts that are actually advertisements for your business). No clones of in-production pedals. If you have concerns or questions, feel free to PM admin. Thanks so much!

Re: Let's see your finished DIY projects!

Postby morange » Sun Oct 22, 2017 12:48 pm

Paul_C wrote:I made this a while ago - an Ampeg Scrambler kit into a pedal case I bought s/h.

I thought it would be fun to have something that sounded nothing like you'd expect if you recognise the image ;)

Ha, yes! Brotherhood of the defiled Klon.
NSFW: show
morange

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby culturejam » Sun Oct 22, 2017 4:24 pm

DRodriguez wrote:Odd question for culture jam, why do you only have one dustcap in the Triton?

Drolo is correct. I wanted to avoid using it since it didn't match, but it was the only one I had in that value at the time. And I *really* wanted to finish this one up. Took forever to get it completely boxed up and done.
Disclaimer #1: Co-Founder, Product Developer at Function f(x).
Disclaimer #3: I do sporadic, infrequent contract work for Black Arts Toneworks
Check out my photo gear on the cheap site: Tight Camera
culturejam

Supporter
Supporter

Postby DRodriguez » Mon Oct 23, 2017 10:51 am

Another green russian variant

And modded my Your and You're
Just takes the output from earlier in the signal and skips whatever filtering is going on in the signal path. Makes it much synthier and fuzzier.

With test tone:

With guitar straight into an undriven clean amp:
DRodriguez

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby BetterOffShred » Tue Oct 24, 2017 9:51 am

DRodriguez wrote:Another green russian variant

Dat Sparkle! :drool:
Good looking boxes sir!
BetterOffShred

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby DannDubbleEwe » Fri Oct 27, 2017 4:00 pm

Damn dRod those are sick
DannDubbleEwe

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby digi2t » Sat Oct 28, 2017 8:29 pm

First off, many gracias to The Dude for lending me his Lion X. As usual, it was a rat's nest, but I think we got a handle on the situation;

Of course, I just wasn't happy to have the two VCF's just sitting there, so a special expression pedal will be added to it. There's a "Local/Remote" switch on the unit, so you can use the unit without the pedal if so desired. You can select one or the other, or both filters. You can also set the voltage limit for each filter, as well as reverse the sweep of either or both filters. The expression pedal itself can turn the filters on or off too. Basically, it becomes a custom wah or tone control. It connects via a 9 pin mini DIN cable.

For the DIY crowd, don't despair, some boards will be available soon for sale. This version is the later Lion X, with twin BPF. The earlier version used a BPF, and an LPF.

There will also be boards coming soon for the PLL. These will be "all in one" boards, carrying drone, and interrupt functions all on the board. We have a Spacemen Saturn V board coming as well.
"Turn down the amp, strum harder." - PRR

http://www.deadendfx.com/
digi2t

experienced
experienced

Postby drolo » Sun Oct 29, 2017 5:25 am

Holy cow !!
drolo

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby BetterOffShred » Sun Oct 29, 2017 6:10 pm

Sweet man. I'm pumped to try the lion X.
BetterOffShred

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby digi2t » Sun Oct 29, 2017 8:17 pm

Here's some shots of the Flint. This is the Spaceman Saturn V.

All I can say is this little sucker is like a Rangemaster on steroids. It does everything from a gentle top boost jangle to pushing tubes into a delightful grind. On my Tourmaster's 4th channel, it's like the cherry on the sundae, adding a beautiful cutting sparkle, allowing all the harmonic content to just shine.

I managed to finish the labeling on the Leo X tonight, and got to plug it into the big amp. Still waiting for my damn expression cable to show. :mad: :(

This my first time using a Tube Sound Fuzz/Red Llama type circuit, so the sonic experience is brand new for me. At it's core, it's got a great growl on the clean channel, and you don't need much of the drive to really saturate things on the higher gain channels. The beauty is the clean section has ample gain to overdrive an amp on it's own, but combining it with the drive section at lower settings, really allows one to retain a great deal of clarity, even in high gain situations. Adding the VCF's to the mix, just creates an almost endless tonal pallet. Then you can also split the clean and drive sections into different amps as well... total flexibility. I would be hard pressed to find another overdrive that can check as many boxes as this one does.

digi2t

experienced
experienced

Postby BetterOffShred » Sun Oct 29, 2017 9:05 pm

Great work all around Dino. Those look fantastic!

I use a red llama with my Bassman a lot. I love that circuit. I'm very excited go get my hands on the lion X.. I got a regular lion board and box ready, but I'll make an X too, probably I'll buy your board. :drool:

I just built a red rooster clone and spent more time than usual auditioning transistors, it sounds freakin fantastic. I got a Mouser order together for the depletion FETs and some transformers for other stuff. I'm pretty stoked to see the Saturn V in action. What's up with R8 there ? Series resistors from spaceman omitted with a single value?

Thanks for sharing.
BetterOffShred

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby digi2t » Mon Oct 30, 2017 9:40 am

BetterOffShred wrote:What's up with R8 there ? Series resistors from spaceman omitted with a single value?

Correct. R7 too. In both cases, Spaceman used two retard value resistors to make a 4.7K. I mean, exactly 4.7K. They had a 3.01K and a 1.69K in series. Crazy.

In any case, we put them on the board regardless (for the OCD puritanical fanatical), but I went with a simple 4.7K, using the resistor's lead on the backside of the board to jumper the second resistor spot.

R2 (upper left corner) was a 6.19K in the original. This is the minimum drive resistor. I could have stuffed a 6.8K in there, but I strung a 5K and a 1.2K together instead. It takes the minimum drive down closer to the original.

digi2t

experienced
experienced

Postby BetterOffShred » Mon Oct 30, 2017 10:13 am

Classic! Yeah I've kind of learned to go with the closest thing I have recently, but I still series up on some things. I just don't have room to stock every value.

Well put me down for a lion X board :cool:
BetterOffShred

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby LaoWiz » Mon Nov 06, 2017 7:09 pm

Here's a Bee Baa, board etched from RG Keen's layout on GEOfx. Sounds fantastic!

LaoWiz

Supporter
Supporter

Postby BetterOffShred » Mon Nov 06, 2017 7:22 pm

Dope! :joy:

Looks fantastic!
BetterOffShred

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby imJonWain » Tue Nov 07, 2017 12:14 am

that looks amazeballz
"To my lay mind, the lobster's behavior in the kettle appears to be the expression of a preference; and it may well be that an ability to form preferences is the decisive criterion for real suffering."
http://www.TFRelectronics.com <project info
https://oshpark.com/profiles/TFRelectronics <oshpark shared boards
https://www.staticdisaster.com/ <my radio show
imJonWain

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

PreviousNext

Return to DIY Effects