Let's see your finished DIY projects!

Moderator: Ghost Hip

Forum rules
The DIY forum is for personal projects (things that are not for sale, not in production), info sharing, peer to peer assistance. No backdoor spamming (DIY posts that are actually advertisements for your business). No clones of in-production pedals. If you have concerns or questions, feel free to PM admin. Thanks so much!

Re: Let's see your finished DIY projects!

Postby eatyourguitar » Thu Sep 05, 2019 9:07 pm

jubal81 wrote:Image

is the blue electrolytic cap a non-polar (bipolar) type? why? what part of the circuit? is it vintage or just too big to SMD?
WWW.EATYOURGUITAR.COM <---- MY DIY STUFF
eatyourguitar

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby jubal81 » Fri Sep 06, 2019 1:17 am

eatyourguitar wrote:is the blue electrolytic cap a non-polar (bipolar) type? why? what part of the circuit? is it vintage or just too big to SMD?

It's a 10uF polarized electrolytic - the coupling cap on the input of the fuzz circuit. Since it's in the signal path, I stuck with 'lytic but chose a high-voltage cap for the big, axial vibe.

And thanks for all the kind words, guys. Worked on designing and building this since February, I think.
jubal81

interested
interested

Postby fuzzonaut » Sat Sep 14, 2019 4:15 pm

Here's the PedalPCB version of the EQD/Sun O))) Life Pedal.

I didn't like the knob and footswitch layout too much. So, everything got moved, except the clipping switch and the boost foot switch, which explains the spaghetti wiring in there.

Sounds pretty good.

((O)) G.jpg

((O)).jpg
Now: http://www.deepband.ch / https://fuzzonaut1.bandcamp.com / https://glimmbrand.bandcamp.com / https://soundcloud.com/fuzzonaut-1
Then: https://suiciderat.bandcamp.com / Short Films: https://vimeo.com/user28594850
Good deals: wfs1234, Gigahearts_FX, stanimal, greyscales, hatshirt, insubordination, xrleroyx, HolySchnikes, nevada, skullservant, earthbound, chuckjaywalk, D.o.S., antennafarm, skip, hbombgraphics, UC, jwar, nieh, laekna, Rygot, D-Rainger, behndy, jero
fuzzonaut

experienced
experienced

Postby Gigahearts_FX » Sat Sep 14, 2019 6:19 pm

Bad ass build
Agree the layout of the PCB isn’t great
Gigahearts_FX

experienced
experienced

Postby Gigahearts_FX » Sun Sep 15, 2019 1:20 am

Inspired by the fact that TGP have been slavering over this for some time, and the schematic is now out there
I have built a clone of the DRV on vero. Not built anything on vero for a long time, this went together ok - make a slight bodge which the keen eyed will see.

I must admit it sounds really good - doesnt have that sag that most normal Rats do. I appreciate some people like that, but I find it a bit bothersome.
Can't beleive the price these tend to go for - but seems the hype is somewhat justified, and they dont sell out in seconds now, so the scalping has died down a bit. Still, $250 for a Rat? Eash...

Because I wasnt bothered to save space this has gone in a 1790xx case ;D buffered bypass - apparently its a klon buffer but the parts values dont ring true to me from very distant memory... I could be wrong (!) 1983 because the original is 1981 and I was born in 1983 8)

Gigahearts_FX

experienced
experienced

Postby frodog » Sun Sep 29, 2019 10:52 am

Beautiful work, guys! Cleeean.

Here's something a bit more messy, though everything fits inside (just barely for the board on this one) and works.

This came about playing with the Basic Audio variant of the Pep Box on breadboard and listening to Lil Peep. Some resistor and cap adjustments, also put in two toggles in place of the tone pot; top is two-way bass boost (left)/cut (right), under that is a three-way mids switch that's heavy/flat/thin. Would have been more versatile with a pot but I wanted to try this and also have just two (big) knobs.

Sounds much like my previous Pep, still extremely loud but very controllable bias-wise from gated to open and over. Very responsive to different pickups/volume. Great bass fuzz.

peep_in.jpg

peep_box.jpg
frodog

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby Bret608 » Fri Oct 04, 2019 10:44 am

I've been liking the build reports here lately and have one of my own to share for the first time in ages. I got one of the VFE Distortion 3 boards from Madbean and am really glad to finally have a D+ or 250-type build that works well with my setup. I've had Rowland S. Howard on the brain since last year sometime, hence the MXR fixation; also, I hadn't realized that the 250 was an important part of Mudhoney's sound. I had a couple of goofs with the wiring and decal, but for the most part it went well. For the Ge diodes, I used some old mil-spec 1n270s I got from the electronics lab at the college where I work. They can withstand some significant lead-bending and soldering heat!

Distortion 3_Interior.JPG

Distortion 3_Exterior.JPG
Bret608

committed
committed

Postby digi2t » Tue Oct 08, 2019 8:24 pm

After building the Hi Fli, and the Mutron Flanger, It's kinda nice to go back to building a simple fuzz.
Meet Gollum...

In a nutshell, Spaceman Effects Rumblefuzz, with a JFET booster in the tailpipe. Q1 is a BCY59-X, and Q2 is a 2N5172 pull from something really old. JFET booster is J201 based. Combined with either OD channel on my Tourmaster, it's a wall of doom fuzz. Love it.
"Turn down the amp, strum harder." - PRR

http://www.deadendfx.com/
digi2t

experienced
experienced

Postby Chankgeez » Tue Oct 08, 2019 8:35 pm

This page. :love:
psychic vampire. wrote:The important take away from this thread: Taoism and Ring Modulators go together?
…...........................…
Sweet dealin's: here
"Now, of course, Strega is not a Minimoog… and I am not Sun Ra" - dude from MAKENOISE
#GreenRinger
Chankgeez

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Location: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FGhbeHujNZQ youtube.com/watch?v=V-2l7kkBURc

Postby frodog » Wed Oct 09, 2019 3:32 pm

Indeed! :!!!: :love: :snax: :)*

Here's a 2015 ed. Madbean Cave Dweller. Made the earlier version already, and while that's an alright delay i had to try the new one, and it does sound better. No tone suck due to the buffer, which is a J202. The long times past noon are still dirty af, but sometimes that's a nice thing. Has a bassless, airy sound that stays out of the way, and also coasts right on the edge of self-oscillation.

Forgot that I was gonna call every PT2399 build a sum-sum Delayer forever, but Cave Dweller is such a cool name anyway. The finish is red metallic rattlecan and ye olde Citadel Colour blue wash, I'll cry when that well runs dry.

cave_in.jpg

cave_d.jpg

Bonus image: First actual corrupted image file I've gotten on my new phone, only editing is the gamma/contrast. This looks more like how it sounds.

corrupt_cave.jpg
frodog

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby crochambeau » Thu Oct 10, 2019 11:05 pm

It's such a rarity that I feel like I can post in this thread, what with most of my builds being saleable. This one is for me though. I'm on a parallel fuzz kick, so I took a utility circuit I devised for something else and whipped up a five input summing section with inverting and non-inverting outputs. The far right input does not see a switchable attenuation circuit, the other four inputs are designed to be able to level down to whatever weakest signal I stick into #5.

Plus I got to use up some jacks & switches I don't like using on outgoing builds, chuffed!
I've got to get off my ass and bring to reality that what has been quoted through existence.

Rochambeau Musical Apparatus
Reverb storefront
Shark Tank
crochambeau

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby Jwar » Mon Oct 14, 2019 11:20 am

OOHHHH some nice stuff in here lately!! Killer guys!!! :)
"I do not have the ability to think rationally 90% of the time and I also change my mind at the drop of a hat".

-JWAR :)
Jwar

Cosmic of BILF
Cosmic of BILF

Postby Paul_C » Mon Oct 14, 2019 3:20 pm

I'm going to spend some time working on finishes, but not right now ;)

Two new pedals completed and apart from one missed wire, both worked first time, much to my delight :)

Clari(Not)

Rattle Crow

Paul_C

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby garyg » Wed Oct 16, 2019 5:35 am

^ they're nice, are the labels stamps?
garyg

interested
interested

Postby Paul_C » Wed Oct 16, 2019 12:50 pm

They're done with paint pens and rubber stamps.

I took a couple of pics of the insides as people like to see what's going on:

Paul_C

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

PreviousNext

Return to DIY Effects