Help a brother fix a wah (It should be easy)...

Moderator: Ghost Hip

Forum rules
The DIY forum is for personal projects (things that are not for sale, not in production), info sharing, peer to peer assistance. No backdoor spamming (DIY posts that are actually advertisements for your business). No clones of in-production pedals. If you have concerns or questions, feel free to PM admin. Thanks so much!

Help a brother fix a wah (It should be easy)...

Postby the raytownian » Thu Jan 01, 2009 10:53 pm

Long story short: I've had this wah pedal that used to work, and it hasn't worked right for a long time. Now it just cuts/filters the sound, but there's very little "WAH" happening...

IMAGE:
WAH.jpg

I can only guess it's that diode, or what looks like a diode, or that inductor... All the other components seem like stable ones... nothing is burned or exploded... I don't know anything about inductors or if they "go bad", but if I had to guess, I'd say I burned out the diode.

The thing is, I've got no clue how to rate diodes (I didn't even really find anything googling).

Thanks for any help! (And might you have any recommendations on parts to switch out from seeing the photo?)
the raytownian

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Re: Help a brother fix a wah (It should be easy)...

Postby 23F » Sat Jan 03, 2009 2:08 pm

diode could be acting as a reverse voltage blocker, if its out should stop everything (right?) Im thinking thats what'll happen, see if any voltage is going through if not replace it.......... as for the inductor if its bad it should effect the "wah" and not the passed sound through the circuit resulting in little to no wah but still a filtered sound???

DO I got this right or not? Someone else?
23F

interested
interested

Re: Help a brother fix a wah (It should be easy)...

Postby the raytownian » Sat Jan 03, 2009 2:21 pm

Hey, thanks for your input... If the diode being damanged would in fact kill the whole thing (as far as passing signal is concerned), then it may very well be the inductor... I do get a filtered sound, but it's really weak (low output volume) and barely changes, regardless of treadle position... I've since been using it with no power as a "mute" switch on occasion, haha.

I think what killed it was trying to use it in a feedback loop... Because a lot of times it'd get like this afterwards (even thought this is literally the only pedal I've had issues with from being used in a loop)..... But even then, it'd usually "fix itself" if I left it alone for a while... But I haven't used the thing in ages before I tested it last, and it's still messed up.
the raytownian

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Return to DIY Effects