Slightly embarrasing noob question

Moderator: Ghost Hip

Forum rules
The DIY forum is for personal projects (things that are not for sale, not in production), info sharing, peer to peer assistance. No backdoor spamming (DIY posts that are actually advertisements for your business). No clones of in-production pedals. If you have concerns or questions, feel free to PM admin. Thanks so much!

Slightly embarrasing noob question

Postby UnicornPower » Fri Dec 19, 2008 6:54 pm

I'm just getting into this DIY malarkey. I've breadboarded a simple noise maker consisting of 2 square wave oscillator combined with diodes. This works fine and I get some nice/nasty noises out of it. I've now soldered it up onto vero board and amazingly it works. I then thought I'd take the simple step of adding a switch so I didn't have to keep disconnecting the battery. This is where I have FAILED, whichever way I connect up the mini SPDT switch is doesn't seem to break the connection. The NO and NC terminals that I have seen referenced don't seem to be marked on the switch. I am connecting it on the 9v+ line, but I assumed it would work whether it was on + or ground. Have I just melted the internals of the switch with my dodgy soldering? :?:
UnicornPower

interested
interested

Re: Slightly embarrasing noob question

Postby 23F » Tue Dec 23, 2008 12:42 pm

switches can be burned easily, especially a spst mini or sub mini, I would try another switch and make sure your wiring + or - to middle and then the other to only one of the outside lugs.... I've had good luck with the blue and red switches from radioshack and bad luck with the black ones from ratshack....

good luck........... and try using a small cone tip to solder doesnt seem to transfer as much heat as the chisled tips
23F

interested
interested

Return to DIY Effects