where to start? (complete beginer!)

Moderator: Ghost Hip

Forum rules
The DIY forum is for personal projects (things that are not for sale, not in production), info sharing, peer to peer assistance. No backdoor spamming (DIY posts that are actually advertisements for your business). No clones of in-production pedals. If you have concerns or questions, feel free to PM admin. Thanks so much!

where to start? (complete beginer!)

Postby gishlullmoon » Sat Nov 29, 2008 3:47 am

hey guys! My name is Alex i love effect i've had about 24 my life, not many i guess compared to everyone else. anyways
i've been fascinated to figure out how to make em. Any ideas where to start? i have no idea how
so i 've been ooking on ebay at book and shit and this seems to have good reviews!
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 0317065207

and the follow-up

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 0315805043

i really dig some of the boss pedals, dod grunge etc. from the first book and the 2nd i love the muff fuzzes
and id love to create those smashing pumpkins sounds.

is this a good place to start?
any reccomendations?
i mean im a complete "don't know how to do anything" at all kind of guy. im 22 but i dont know shit about electrocic or soldering (if thats the word!) ;)

i love devi's effects! its just i dont have money ;( ive had a rocket twice already but have had to sell due to bills, but plan to pick up another one in the future. dont ask. i shouldve never sld it in the first place i think i had a bad flu or something that day :sick: .

please any help or feedback would be great! ill check out the ohter posts as soon as im done writing this.

but pleeeease help!

alex
gishlullmoon

committed
committed

Re: where to start? (complete beginer!)

Postby Gunner Recall » Sun Nov 30, 2008 2:37 pm

People seem to appreciate the value they get from the indyguitarist books, though I don't have any first hand experience with them.

http://www.diystompboxes.com/wpress/ Is a decent place to start, there is an entire section devoted to projects for beginners.

http://www.smallbearelec.com/home.html Also sells DIY kits with all the parts you'll need...no need to buy random little pieces that you have no clue about. A few of them look pretty simple. Decent place for parts in general for any diy project.

Just check out the sticky at the top of he forum, all of the sites devi posted will be useful at some point in your pedal building career.
Some pedal mods may involve fewer steps or be less complicated, but if you have no expereience with electronics/soldering, one of the cheap diy builds maybe be a better option...gives you more room to learn/mess up with ruining a $40-100 pedal.
There are some that call me...morningstaru?
Gunner Recall

Postby Zerstorte Zelle » Sun Nov 30, 2008 4:31 pm

You could also get a bag of mixed resistors at Radio Shack and some perfboard for practice... You won't make anything except for a mess but you'll get good with the iron. Also disassemble anything you doing need/can't sell.

Just don't burn yourself. Soldering is a good way to learn about lymph and blisters.

As far as designing circuits I'm not sure. Just a lot of experimentation.

And skittles.
Zerstorte Zelle

committed
committed

Postby metalmariachi » Sun Nov 30, 2008 9:32 pm

Pretty much what they said.
Haunt the web for all the schematics you can find.
Print them out, look them over and build stuff.

Also don't forget the library, check out books on basic electronics.
They will give you an idea as to what things do and why.

Have fun.

MM
金属マリアッチ
MARIATCHIMETARU

"First we have to make you pretty"
metalmariachi

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby 23F » Tue Dec 23, 2008 12:56 pm

go to www.generalguitargadgets.com and order the lpb-1 kit...simple kit to cut your teeth on then go to smallbearelec.com and order the tweak-o to get some perfboard soldering experience then go from there........and what the other said about getting some soldering under yur belt
23F

interested
interested

Return to DIY Effects