GGG Muff and BYOC Beaver question....

Moderator: Ghost Hip

Forum rules
The DIY forum is for personal projects (things that are not for sale, not in production), info sharing, peer to peer assistance. No backdoor spamming (DIY posts that are actually advertisements for your business). No clones of in-production pedals. If you have concerns or questions, feel free to PM admin. Thanks so much!

GGG Muff and BYOC Beaver question....

Postby darryl2113 » Wed Nov 05, 2008 1:51 pm

ok, I know that this would probably have been better to post on the BYOC forums,...but I don't have an account and am too lazy to start one just for this..But, I have big muff clone that was poorly put together and some of the trace is totally gone, I noticed the GGG board is pretty much what was used...so I figured it wouldn't be a big deal to just move the parts to a new board. Their price for one board is $14....BYOC has their LArge Beaver boards 3 for $9 (it would be nice to have back up boards in case I ruin a couple by accident) the only thing is I don't know if the Large Beaver board will be close enough to where I could just eye ball it like I could with a GGG board....Does anyone have experience with these kits who could shed light on whether the BYOC board is pretty much the same with room for their mods???
darryl2113

committed
committed

Re: GGG Muff and BYOC Beaver question....

Postby ohsojayadeva » Wed Nov 05, 2008 2:00 pm

i dunno, im sure you could do it, but the BYOC board is significantly different and contains a number of options that (well, last time i looked) the GGG board did not. add the time of carefully taking the old parts from the board and placing them on the new board... seems like you'd be best off starting from scratch imho. i can't imagine that the cost of new resistors and caps wouldn't be worth it, and just use the case, jacks, etc that you already have. :thumb:
ohsojayadeva

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby darryl2113 » Wed Nov 05, 2008 7:28 pm

well, its just that the original board I have already has everything I need minus the led, I would just hate to waste all that just because the trace is missing in some places...I tried to just point to point the components that are missing traces, its just too tight of a space for me to do that. I guess I will just go with the GGG, it will be a good introduction to building pedals for me, something about switching the parts one by one while having the original pedal right in front of me to a/b seems alot easier than reading schems and instructions...at least initially. thanks for the reply though.
darryl2113

committed
committed

Postby ohsojayadeva » Wed Nov 05, 2008 11:54 pm

rock on and good luck. i love diy effects! :rock:
ohsojayadeva

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby metalmariachi » Fri Nov 07, 2008 1:01 am

Sorry I didn't answer this before.

('d get the GGG board and transfer the components. Just be care full you dont fry the transistors when you de-solder them.

You can take the time to upgrade any of the components, or change the value of caps to dial in the best sound.

MM
金属マリアッチ
MARIATCHIMETARU

"First we have to make you pretty"
metalmariachi

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby 23F » Tue Dec 23, 2008 1:31 pm

if your going with GGG look at their different versions(layouts) and order the parts you dont have to make a tuned version, or triangle or rams head or etc.....
23F

interested
interested

Return to DIY Effects