DOD FX25 mods?

Moderator: Ghost Hip

Forum rules
The DIY forum is for personal projects (things that are not for sale, not in production), info sharing, peer to peer assistance. No backdoor spamming (DIY posts that are actually advertisements for your business). No clones of in-production pedals. If you have concerns or questions, feel free to PM admin. Thanks so much!

DOD FX25 mods?

Postby bongoben » Sat Apr 21, 2012 6:53 pm

Are there any mods that can be done to the DOD FX25 Envelope Filter pedal? I've done some research but haven't found anything official. I've read rumors of three possibilities...
1)Volume boost
2)Soften the attack
3)Increase the decay time

I'm definitely new to the world of working on pedals but have a bunch of previous experience working/troubleshooting/fixing arcade game and monitor pcbs so I'm at least somewhat proficient with a soldering iron, pcb parts, etc. I would love to add some sort of volume boost to this pedal and in fact if the other 2 possible mods I've found are do-able I'd love to do those too. If nothing else, it's a nice cheap pedal that I wouldn't be too afraid to start digging around in. But... I don't know where to start. :)

Thanks
bongoben

Supporter
Supporter

Re: DOD FX25 mods?

Postby Pollinator95 » Sun Apr 22, 2012 7:04 am

I can't see any obvious boost tweaks, but you could always stick a SHO or Tillman or something after it it there's space in the enclosure. (duh, I know)
"Thin and lifeless like a Happy meal." - Rob Chappers, 2011
behndy wrote:i imagine all these shoddy spice racks littering heaven that Gawd gets pissed at you if you talk poo about 'cause "MAH BOI DEED THAHT.".

Pollinator95

committed
committed

Postby gila_crisis » Thu Apr 12, 2018 8:22 am

I got again after ages a DOD FX25B (the reissue version with the blend knob!), and I did few mods to it.
- chenged C11 up to 22uF to have a better, not so quick decay (the higher the value the longer the decay).
- changed R5 from 20K to 10k, this solves the volume drop and gives the filter the bite many says is missing in the FX25B.

The filter is very similar to the Korg MS20 VCF based around the LM13600/13700 IC, so I did few more mods to it:
- BP/LP switch (with a volume trim on the LP side to have unity volume)
- I added a switch to select betwenn the DOD envelope, or flipped it becames a fixed filter with the additional pot to set the cut frequency.

If you need moree infos about hte FX25 in general check this website: http://topopiccione.atspace.com/PJ11DODfx25.html

gila_crisis

experienced
experienced

Postby spacelordmother » Thu Apr 12, 2018 3:52 pm

Verrrrrrrry cool! Clips?
spacelordmother

HERO
HERO

Postby gila_crisis » Thu Apr 12, 2018 6:46 pm

I didn't have done any yet.