· Gen · Guit · · Bldrs · B/S/T ·

Switch to full style
Do-it-yourself pedal building

Forum rules

The DIY forum is for personal projects (things that are not for sale, not in production), info sharing, peer to peer assistance. No backdoor spamming (DIY posts that are actually advertisements for your business). No clones of in-production pedals. If you have concerns or questions, feel free to PM admin. Thanks so much!
Post a reply

Re: DIY links, gear recommendations

Tue Jan 24, 2012 9:09 am

Major plus one on the drill press.

Tue Jan 24, 2012 2:39 pm

For sure, get a drill press. Drilling holes is actually relaxing now! I use the $65'ish one from harbor freight and it works like a champ.

Wed Jan 25, 2012 12:32 am

Jero wrote:For sure, get a drill press. Drilling holes is actually relaxing now! I use the $65'ish one from harbor freight and it works like a champ.

I probably use the same one. I got it for $50 when it was on sale... the cheapest one they had. It had one issue where I needed to tighten a nut, but after that nothing.

I want a bigger one, though... something a little taller, with a crank to raise/lower the table... and maybe an easy way to tilt the table. that'd be cool.

But, yeah, the cheapest drill press is better than the best hand drill for this sorta thing.

Wed Feb 01, 2012 10:25 pm

If I may throw my hat into the ring. Cheapest 3PDTs I've ever seen: http://www.ohnoho.com/parts :!!!: :hello: :p

Thu Feb 02, 2012 10:48 am

Oh snap son.

Thu Feb 02, 2012 11:58 am

yeah I was looking at your ebay store for momentary 3PDT. good price

Thu Feb 02, 2012 1:27 pm

What's the quality like on those 3pdts? Can they take reheating a few times or do you need to be in and out quick with the iron?

Thu Feb 02, 2012 2:05 pm

moose23 wrote:What's the quality like on those 3pdts? Can they take reheating a few times or do you need to be in and out quick with the iron?

After damaging a fair amount of ICs and switches in my early days I am now always in and out (that's what he said). So I can't speak from experience.

I used to get switches from small bear, 4site and mammoth. These look and feel exactly the same to me. That being said, I don't recall any of those switches being able to handle a lot of reheating so I wouldn't expect these.

You really shouldn't be doing that anyway. Sorry didn't mean to scold. If you're reusing 3PDTs just solder long leads on there once, then trim back a mm or so when ever you want to reuse it.

Thu Feb 02, 2012 5:04 pm

lawrence scaduto wrote:
moose23 wrote:What's the quality like on those 3pdts? Can they take reheating a few times or do you need to be in and out quick with the iron?

After damaging a fair amount of ICs and switches in my early days I am now always in and out (that's what he said). So I can't speak from experience.

I used to get switches from small bear, 4site and mammoth. These look and feel exactly the same to me. That being said, I don't recall any of those switches being able to handle a lot of reheating so I wouldn't expect these.

You really shouldn't be doing that anyway. Sorry didn't mean to scold. If you're reusing 3PDTs just solder long leads on there once, then trim back a mm or so when ever you want to reuse it.

I haven't done it in a long time but it's a good gauge of the durability/quality of the switches imo and I've seen quite a variation in quality between various switches over the years. Tempted to try a few but kinda put off by your scolding. :cry: :hug: haha

Anyone else here used them?

Thu Feb 02, 2012 6:10 pm

moose23 wrote:
lawrence scaduto wrote:

I haven't done it in a long time but it's a good gauge of the durability/quality of the switches imo and I've seen quite a variation in quality between various switches over the years. Tempted to try a few but kinda put off by your scolding. :cry: :hug: haha

Anyone else here used them?

How about I send you one and you report back?

Thu Feb 02, 2012 7:47 pm

Ah I'll probably grab a bunch off you anyways, great great price and my usual supplier (of lovely white ones) is all out for the next few weeks. Just deciding how many to order..

Fri Feb 03, 2012 1:32 pm

moose23 wrote:Ah I'll probably grab a bunch off you anyways, great great price and my usual supplier (of lovely white ones) is all out for the next few weeks. Just deciding how many to order..

I'll be in Belize on Sunday (for a week) so get your order in before I split.

Sat Feb 04, 2012 3:04 pm

Seen that and it's in already, thought it'd be obvious enough with my paypal being same as username here but if not I'm Cian, will report back once they arrive. Enjoy Belize!

Tue Mar 20, 2012 12:03 pm

Anyone order from Tayda? Seriously. I don't care if it takes for ever. I can get 100 2.2k resistors for a fucking 1.50. That's insane! I decided to order some parts in bulk and they seem to be just dirt cheap. Any good experiences with them? Bad as well?

Tue Mar 20, 2012 12:43 pm

I just launched a new site selling parts: it's bitcheslovemyswitches.com The mission is to always say "no one sells 3pdts cheaper than me". there's knobs and other stuff too. and no one is cheaper. check it out.
Post a reply