DIY links, gear recommendations



Moderator: Ghost Hip

Forum rules
The DIY forum is for personal projects (things that are not for sale, not in production), info sharing, peer to peer assistance. No backdoor spamming (DIY posts that are actually advertisements for your business). No clones of in-production pedals. If you have concerns or questions, feel free to PM admin. Thanks so much!

Re: DIY links, gear recommendations

Postby imJonWain » Wed Aug 13, 2014 3:14 pm

If you live around Boston You Do It Electronics in Needham has pretty much everything ever for about the same prices as online maybe slightly more. They deal with a lot of Radio stuff so you can buy tube sockets, etc. there too. They also have in stock a lot of tubes and a bunch of NOS stuff in the same cabinet not listed online...Old Ratheon tubes, Mullard, etc.

Here's a link...
http://www.youdoitelectronics.com/Tubes/
Like I said they say, nothing stops a party barge.
imJonWain

User avatar
FAMOUS
FAMOUS
 
Posts: 1335
Joined: Sun Apr 27, 2014 8:56 pm
Location: Boston Area

Re: DIY links, gear recommendations

Postby greeny23 » Fri Aug 15, 2014 12:10 am

selfdestroyer wrote:
jwar wrote:Ok I have a question. I know you can buy thing from Mammoth, PPP, Mouser, 4site...etc. Here's my question. Where are they buying from? Obviously they turn a profit and have to buy in huge quantities. I'm just curious. I mean direct from Hammond for Hammond boxes I would assume, but other things?


I know that Mammouth buys from the distributor 4Site Electronics.
http://www.4siteelectronics.com/

Mouser gets their products straight from the manufacturer and has tons of warehouses around the globe. Xircom, Panasonic, TDK etc all direct.

Cody


yep truth. and mouser has warehouses errywhere so they ship direct to asia for me in Aust.
Image
greeny23

User avatar
experienced
experienced
 
Posts: 612
Joined: Wed Feb 23, 2011 5:28 pm
Location: Sydney, Australia

Re: DIY links, gear recommendations

Postby eatyourguitar » Fri Sep 12, 2014 7:37 pm

selfdestroyer wrote:
jwar wrote:Ok I have a question. I know you can buy thing from Mammoth, PPP, Mouser, 4site...etc. Here's my question. Where are they buying from? Obviously they turn a profit and have to buy in huge quantities. I'm just curious. I mean direct from Hammond for Hammond boxes I would assume, but other things?


I know that Mammouth buys from the distributor 4Site Electronics.
http://www.4siteelectronics.com/

Mouser gets their products straight from the manufacturer and has tons of warehouses around the globe. Xircom, Panasonic, TDK etc all direct.

Cody


mammoth electronics IS 4siteelectronics. when mammoth first started they only sold 4site boxes at higher retail prices with no middleman. I have purchased painted enclosures in bulk from 4site. the minimum order is 10 pack. the paint is exactly the same. even the websites looked the same at the time.

pedal parts plus is run by asians in california, I would not be surprised if they have a cousin in china doing the purchasing for them. shipping from china to california is also much cheaper than china to new york.

when tayda first started they would ship my parts from thailand. most of the stock was from taiwan. now it comes from the midwest USA.

hammond boxes come from hammond. chinese boxes come from china. panasonic capacitors come from panasonic. however with tayda I think they are bidding on surplus lots of resistors with %20 tolerance or other defects and sorting them by hand to %5.

there are many chineese sellers for pedal enclosures but this one is the best
http://www.aliexpress.com/store/group/Aluminum-enclosure/406327_256024787.html
WWW.EATYOURGUITAR.COM <---- MY DIY STUFF
eatyourguitar

User avatar
IAMILF
IAMILF
 
Posts: 2868
Joined: Sun Oct 03, 2010 12:37 pm
Location: USA, RI

Re: DIY links, gear recommendations

Postby Jwar » Wed Dec 24, 2014 7:21 pm

Anyone know where I can find these cheaper???


http://smallbear-electronics.mybigcomme ... nswitched/


Also, any good recommendations on an alternative company to Mammoth. One that can drill, paint, etc without putting it in your butt on the pricing.
"I do not have the ability to think rationally 90% of the time and I also change my mind at the drop of a hat".

-JWAR :)
Jwar

User avatar
Cosmic of BILF
Cosmic of BILF
 
Posts: 17679
Joined: Thu Dec 02, 2010 7:18 pm
Location: Inside your mother

Re: DIY links, gear recommendations

Postby Jwar » Fri Dec 26, 2014 12:05 pm

Bros? I love you?
"I do not have the ability to think rationally 90% of the time and I also change my mind at the drop of a hat".

-JWAR :)
Jwar

User avatar
Cosmic of BILF
Cosmic of BILF
 
Posts: 17679
Joined: Thu Dec 02, 2010 7:18 pm
Location: Inside your mother

Re: DIY links, gear recommendations

Postby selfdestroyer » Sat Jan 31, 2015 7:11 am

jwar wrote:Anyone know where I can find these cheaper???


http://smallbear-electronics.mybigcomme ... nswitched/


Also, any good recommendations on an alternative company to Mammoth. One that can drill, paint, etc without putting it in your butt on the pricing.


Maybe these?
http://www.bitcheslovemyswitches.com/#!/Thinline-2-1mm-DC-Power-Jack/p/18921807/category=5027592

Cody
selfdestroyer

User avatar
committed
committed
 
Posts: 175
Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2012 1:34 pm
Location: Fresno, CA USA

Re: DIY links, gear recommendations

Postby Jwar » Mon Feb 16, 2015 7:28 pm

selfdestroyer wrote:
jwar wrote:Anyone know where I can find these cheaper???


http://smallbear-electronics.mybigcomme ... nswitched/


Also, any good recommendations on an alternative company to Mammoth. One that can drill, paint, etc without putting it in your butt on the pricing.


Maybe these?
http://www.bitcheslovemyswitches.com/#!/Thinline-2-1mm-DC-Power-Jack/p/18921807/category=5027592

Cody



Thanks Cody! I found that shortly after I posted this. LOL

I am looking for some aluminum knobs. 4site used to carry these really good dual lock ones, and I cannot find them anywhere. Fucking 4site. UGH. The best thing is that they weren't 2.50 a piece. Any leads on decent knobs that don't cost a boat load? I'm down with bulk discounts too.
"I do not have the ability to think rationally 90% of the time and I also change my mind at the drop of a hat".

-JWAR :)
Jwar

User avatar
Cosmic of BILF
Cosmic of BILF
 
Posts: 17679
Joined: Thu Dec 02, 2010 7:18 pm
Location: Inside your mother

Re: DIY links, gear recommendations

Postby moose23 » Mon Jun 22, 2015 7:56 am

Anyone seen any short shaft toggles (like BLMS have) on aliexpress?
moose23

User avatar
experienced
experienced
 
Posts: 643
Joined: Tue Oct 13, 2009 9:58 am

Re: DIY links, gear recommendations

Postby benoi31 » Wed Nov 23, 2016 9:28 am

Hello everyone,

I am looking for "Eagle" gray knobs like this one:
Image

I cant find it anywhere except at Banzai Music, and I have quite a lot of troubles with them (it has been 2 weeks I passed the order and nothing is happening there...), so I am looking for other suppliers.

By the way, I have just put up a list of 14 different suppliers that you might find useful, with pros and cons for each suppliers:
http://www.coda-effects.com/2016/11/top-electronics-suppliers-for-guitar.html


Anyone seen any short shaft toggles (like BLMS have) on aliexpress?


I recently bought some of them on Mammoth Electronics, could not find any on AliExpress or elsewhere for a cheaper price...
benoi31

User avatar
interested
interested
 
Posts: 23
Joined: Tue May 12, 2015 3:19 pm

Re: DIY links, gear recommendations

Postby Dowi » Mon Aug 05, 2019 4:19 pm

Quick question from EU-fellas: parts resources with decent prices?
Need to place a decent order of common parts (resistors, caps, diodes and transistors) so i don't have to leave every build halfway because of lack of components.
i have started to mess around months ago with some basic circuits, but now i'm stucked 'cause most of the stuff i ordered from Aliexpress (supercheap basic stuff) has been lost or is still in transit :idea:

thanks
HIBAGON | Polyrhythmic Heavy Duo | Bandcamp - Spotyshit
Dowi

User avatar
experienced
experienced
 
Posts: 904
Joined: Fri Jan 08, 2016 8:12 am
Location: Italy

Re: DIY links, gear recommendations

Postby frodog » Mon Aug 05, 2019 6:08 pm

So you been waiting for those components for months? I've never tried Ali, but in rare cases some Chinese ebay orders have taken a couple of months, when usually it's 2-3 weeks. Only a very few times items have been lost.

For bigger orders I've been happy with RS Components in the UK. Otherwise I use ebay. From EU stores there I've gotten good NOS stuff as well, although it seems increasingly expensive and like the best parts/deals are long gone. There are many cheaper options (regular transistors, caps, resistors..) that will serve you well, but in some cases it really pays off to, uh.. pay more. It depends on what you're wanting to build of course, and where you want to spend the most money. Paint can be pretty costly too...
frodog

User avatar
FAMOUS
FAMOUS
 
Posts: 1266
Joined: Fri Aug 28, 2015 2:55 pm
Location: the hollowed out chest of a dead horse

Re: DIY links, gear recommendations

Postby eatyourguitar » Mon Aug 05, 2019 9:32 pm

Jwar wrote:I am looking for some aluminum knobs.


dig through this

https://www.reichelt.com/us/en/Accessories-for-potentiometers/2/index.html?GROUPID=3139
WWW.EATYOURGUITAR.COM <---- MY DIY STUFF
eatyourguitar

User avatar
IAMILF
IAMILF
 
Posts: 2868
Joined: Sun Oct 03, 2010 12:37 pm
Location: USA, RI

Re: DIY links, gear recommendations

Postby eatyourguitar » Mon Aug 05, 2019 9:35 pm

benoi31 wrote:Hello everyone,

I am looking for "Eagle" gray knobs like this one:
Image

I cant find it anywhere except at Banzai Music, and I have quite a lot of troubles with them (it has been 2 weeks I passed the order and nothing is happening there...), so I am looking for other suppliers.

By the way, I have just put up a list of 14 different suppliers that you might find useful, with pros and cons for each suppliers:
http://www.coda-effects.com/2016/11/top-electronics-suppliers-for-guitar.html


Anyone seen any short shaft toggles (like BLMS have) on aliexpress?


I recently bought some of them on Mammoth Electronics, could not find any on AliExpress or elsewhere for a cheaper price...


you can get eagle knobs from eagle plastics

or you can get a similar not exactly the same knob from rogan

https://www.rogancorp.com/plastic-control-knobs/rb67-series-single-bar-control-knobs

usually you order 1000 knobs. you can usually sell what you have leftover to some shop.
WWW.EATYOURGUITAR.COM <---- MY DIY STUFF
eatyourguitar

User avatar
IAMILF
IAMILF
 
Posts: 2868
Joined: Sun Oct 03, 2010 12:37 pm
Location: USA, RI

Re: DIY links, gear recommendations

Postby Dowi » Tue Aug 06, 2019 12:59 am

frodog wrote:So you been waiting for those components for months? I've never tried Ali, but in rare cases some Chinese ebay orders have taken a couple of months, when usually it's 2-3 weeks. Only a very few times items have been lost.


I swear, MONTHS. Just checked and I confirm I placed the order on the 26th of April and so far I have only received 2 small packages (when they should have been 12 or 13). I'm quite sure ebay offers more protection so probably they ship with different methods, I ve ordered photography gear a bunch of times from there and never had to complain.

For bigger orders I've been happy with RS Components in the UK. Otherwise I use ebay. From EU stores there I've gotten good NOS stuff as well, although it seems increasingly expensive and like the best parts/deals are long gone. There are many cheaper options (regular transistors, caps, resistors..) that will serve you well, but in some cases it really pays off to, uh.. pay more. It depends on what you're wanting to build of course, and where you want to spend the most money. Paint can be pretty costly too...


OK, we also use RS components for big industrial electrical components where I work, never thought of using it for smaller stuff.
Luckily paint is not a thing I need now, I just want to focus on trying stuff on breadboard. :thumb:
HIBAGON | Polyrhythmic Heavy Duo | Bandcamp - Spotyshit
Dowi

User avatar
experienced
experienced
 
Posts: 904
Joined: Fri Jan 08, 2016 8:12 am
Location: Italy

Re: DIY links, gear recommendations

Postby fuzzonaut » Tue Aug 06, 2019 8:25 am

Dowi wrote:Quick question from EU-fellas: parts resources with decent prices?
Need to place a decent order of common parts (resistors, caps, diodes and transistors) so i don't have to leave every build halfway because of lack of components.
i have started to mess around months ago with some basic circuits, but now i'm stucked 'cause most of the stuff i ordered from Aliexpress (supercheap basic stuff) has been lost or is still in transit :idea:

thanks


I usually go to Musikding or Banzai.

I have tried Chinese Ebay sellers for cheap knobs or switches - sometimes stuff arrives, sometimes not. If it's not here after 2 months, I demand a refund and have gotten that within 2-3 days every time.
But I stopped ordering from China because usually I want stuff like now ... ha-ha.
Now: https://glimmbrand.bandcamp.com / http://www.deepband.ch / https://fuzzonaut1.bandcamp.com / https://soundcloud.com/fuzzonaut-1
Then: https://suiciderat.bandcamp.com / Short Films: https://vimeo.com/user28594850
Good deals: wfs1234, Gigahearts_FX, stanimal, greyscales, hatshirt, insubordination, xrleroyx, HolySchnikes, nevada, skullservant, earthbound, chuckjaywalk, D.o.S., antennafarm, skip, hbombgraphics, UC, jwar, nieh, laekna, Rygot, D-Rainger, behndy, jero
fuzzonaut

User avatar
experienced
experienced
 
Posts: 776
Joined: Sat Aug 10, 2013 10:56 am
Location: Switzerland

Previous

Return to DIY Effects



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 1 guest


Sponsored Ad. (Please no inflated/repetitive clicking. Thanks!)

Advertisements help support ILF


ilovefuzz.com is not responsible for user-submitted content. Users participate at their own discretion and risk.