Synth/Decay control?

Moderator: Ghost Hip

Forum rules
The DIY forum is for personal projects (things that are not for sale, not in production), info sharing, peer to peer assistance. No backdoor spamming (DIY posts that are actually advertisements for your business). No clones of in-production pedals. If you have concerns or questions, feel free to PM admin. Thanks so much!

Synth/Decay control?

Postby fuzzlovecleanhate » Sat Jun 14, 2008 11:26 pm

Hey y'all. I've been messing around with a fuzz pedal and I'm just wondering if there's a simple way to add a synth/decay control. When I say synth/decay, I mean like a control that can turn your fuzz from full and thick (what it is normally) to thin, crackly, velcro-ey, synthy, decayed (not what it usually is). I'm working on a Fuzz Face circuit if it's any consolation. I kinda get the desired effect when I add a resistor between the collector and emitter of my second transistor. I was just wondering if I would be able to make a potentiometer control this in a better way. I've tried putting a potentiometer in place of the resistor, but the problem is when the potentiometer is set at zero, the signal is dead. Any help would be appreciated, and I hope this thread helps future projects as a simple to implement synth/decay control would be pretty awesome IMO.

Thanks!
fuzzlovecleanhate

uncommitted
uncommitted

Re: Synth/Decay control?

Postby aen » Sun Jun 15, 2008 1:14 am

find the smallest measure of resistance that still gives you sound, and wire that in series with your pot, if the issue is TOO LITTLE resistance kills the sound. If it is an issue of TOO MUCH resistace killing it, find the maximum value of resistance, and use a pot that does not exceed it, or put a resistor of that maximum value in parallel to the pot. You can just solder it to the same lugs you are using for the wires.
Chankgeez wrote:
DWARFCRAFT: We are not fucking around this year.
aen

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Re: Synth/Decay control?

Postby fuzzlovecleanhate » Mon Jun 16, 2008 1:20 am

hey, thanks for the tip, i'll be sure to try it, but the resistor kinda messes up another control of mine. is there no definitive "decay" circuit or a specific area i could target? thanks!
fuzzlovecleanhate

uncommitted
uncommitted

Return to DIY Effects