Resistors

Moderator: Ghost Hip

Forum rules
The DIY forum is for personal projects (things that are not for sale, not in production), info sharing, peer to peer assistance. No backdoor spamming (DIY posts that are actually advertisements for your business). No clones of in-production pedals. If you have concerns or questions, feel free to PM admin. Thanks so much!

Resistors

Postby ssnakes » Wed May 07, 2008 11:11 pm

Hey all,
First off DEVI EVER is awesome! I am real excited to find this site a few months ago. That being said..

I want to add a Led Light to one of my pedals for when it turns on. What would be the right resistor and where to find a led light?

Any thoughts would be awesome!

Thanks
ssnakes

uncommitted
uncommitted

Re: Resistors

Postby letsgocoyote » Thu May 08, 2008 2:06 am

Make sure the stomp switch for the pedal is a 3pdt. it has 9 lugs whereas a dpdt has only 6. you need the 3pdt to add the LED.

as for the right resistor... depends ont he LED and how bright you want it. for the cheapo LEDs where the plastic is the same color as the light, probably 4.7k. If it is a superbright LED which normally come in the clear plastic, I find that 4.7k works good for yellow or orange, 4.7k-10k for the red ones, and 22-33k for blue or white. blue is usually the brightest so if you use that color go 33k. white, ive used 22k or 33k and it kinda depends on the particular LED.

you can get LED's at radio shack, or smallbearelec.com
letsgocoyote

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby aen » Sun May 25, 2008 11:42 pm

wow dude, I guess I like 'em a lot brighter! I htink i use a max of 4.7k on the superbrights,a nd 1k on the normal-ish ones. My first feedback looper was also my first experience with a sueprbright LED, so i used a 1k, and now when I tap on my effects, t's like a goddamn blue flashlight up to the ceiling.
Chankgeez wrote:
DWARFCRAFT: We are not fucking around this year.
aen

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby dangerboy » Tue May 27, 2008 6:52 pm

Me too. I just use 1Ks whatever, on the grounds that if I've paid extra for bright LEDs, I want them BRIGHT!
dangerboy

uncommitted
uncommitted

Postby metalmariachi » Tue May 27, 2008 11:30 pm

I did one with no resister, it was blinding until I used a wall wart instead of a battery.
Didn’t even do a flash, just burned out.

So I now use a 1.5k on the voltage side.

Keith
金属マリアッチ
MARIATCHIMETARU

"First we have to make you pretty"
metalmariachi

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby letsgocoyote » Wed May 28, 2008 12:53 am

aen wrote:wow dude, I guess I like 'em a lot brighter! I htink i use a max of 4.7k on the superbrights,a nd 1k on the normal-ish ones. My first feedback looper was also my first experience with a sueprbright LED, so i used a 1k, and now when I tap on my effects, t's like a goddamn blue flashlight up to the ceiling.

i like them bright too, i jsut find if they are in flashligth mode, if i look down at a pedal and its beaming me in the face i cant see the tick marks on the knobs and cant see my settings cuz im a deer in headlights.
letsgocoyote

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Return to DIY Effects