My crazy noisy multi fx pedal project

Moderator: Ghost Hip

Forum rules
The DIY forum is for personal projects (things that are not for sale, not in production), info sharing, peer to peer assistance. No backdoor spamming (DIY posts that are actually advertisements for your business). No clones of in-production pedals. If you have concerns or questions, feel free to PM admin. Thanks so much!

My crazy noisy multi fx pedal project

Postby k o y l » Fri Apr 04, 2008 11:17 am

i have this crazy idea of building the ultimate noise pedal for myself.
It will incorporate several (probably 3) FX that would be quite normal effects when used alone but could produce crazy sounds and destroy the guitar signal when used together.

Don't hold your breath too long. I'm not able to design circuits with the little DIY pedal knowledge I have now, i'm looking at building cool circuits found on the web, combine them and mod them a bit to expend their possibilities.

All this will have to be fitted in a 1590DD enclosure with 3 stomp switches and probably a lot of knobs and little switches.. :D

it will feature:

- the thing modulator circuit.
it's a basic and simple to build ring modulator but it sounds quite nice.
i already almost built it.
I'll mod it with a switch placed before the rate pot allowing to choose 2 different resistors: that will give the possibilty to have very low rates to very hi rates.
i'll also put a switchable photo eye after the pot. :rock:

- The Psychtar circuit:
It's a circuit that make the guitar emulate a sitar sound and an octave fuzz.
I'm building it these days, it's almost done. I breadboarded it before: it sounds great and wicked.

- A mysterious 3rd effect:
my first idea was to put a buzzbox circuit. it's a simple but very nice sounding octave fuzz. i actually build it and all.
but since I heard the octave fuzz in the psychtar, i'm not so sure because the sound is quite close to the buzzbox.
i'm thinking of an enveloppe filter but any suggestions are welcome. :)

i'm also thinking of putting a switch to invert the order of the psychtar and thing mod or try other way to wire way together such as in parallel alongside a blend/balance knob...

Again if you have ideas of routing, I'd like to hear them.
Once all the circuit will be built, I'll try the different rouing option on breadboard and chose the most interesting one.

I almost forgot: i'll also add a feedback loop with a photo eye in the thing and maybe a 2 or 3 band EQ or a big muff tone stack somewhere in there..

i'll post pics to show how the project progress and maybe ask questions.. :wave:
Last edited by k o y l on Fri Apr 04, 2008 1:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Experimental Ambient/Industrial Guitar Improvisations: Le Principe d'Inconstance
k o y l

committed
committed

Re: My crazy noisy multi fx pedal project

Postby Lintybits » Fri Apr 04, 2008 11:39 am

Jesus man, I wish I had the ability to do that.

An Uglyface in the middle of those 2 could be cool, or maybe a harsh trem right before the output. Will the Thing go into trem like some other ring mods do?
Lintybits

experienced
experienced

Postby k o y l » Fri Apr 04, 2008 12:03 pm

i already have an uglyface, it has its own enclosure and all so i'd like something different.
And i have a tremolo too...

But what you said makes me think of something: I could easily put jacks between the thing mod and psychtar circuit to have an external loop and be able to put some pedals between the 2 ! :wow what a fantastic idea you have there:
Experimental Ambient/Industrial Guitar Improvisations: Le Principe d'Inconstance
k o y l

committed
committed

Postby aen » Fri Apr 04, 2008 1:26 pm

I just got bit by the Ring mod bug. Le tme know how these things work out!
Chankgeez wrote:
DWARFCRAFT: We are not fucking around this year.
aen

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby k o y l » Fri Apr 04, 2008 1:39 pm

Take care those things are infectious ! :D
k o y l

committed
committed

Postby Lintybits » Fri Apr 04, 2008 1:59 pm

k o y l wrote:I could easily put jacks between the thing mod and psychtar circuit to have an external loop and be able to put some pedals between the 2 ! :wow what a fantastic idea you have there:

:rock:
Lintybits

experienced
experienced

Postby Seizurema » Sun Apr 06, 2008 4:34 pm

aen wrote:I just got bit by the Ring mod bug. Le tme know how these things work out!

When will we see a Dwarfcraft Ring Mod, sir?
Seizurema

experienced
experienced

Postby k o y l » Sun Apr 06, 2008 5:08 pm

I think I found the 3r circuit: I was thinking of a Auto Wah/ Enveloppe Filter but I think I'll do this:

Soundclip: http://users.adelphia.net/~tpe123/bronx.mp3

Should be even better with a boost in front of it... :evil:

A suboctave should find its way in there too... :rock:

The drawback is, it implies using another audio transformer and it means big circuit... and probably bigger enclosure..
k o y l

committed
committed

Postby metalmariachi » Mon Apr 07, 2008 12:35 am

I thought about building a Psychtar, and then tweaking it for bass.
Never got around to ordering the parts. May just have to revisit it in the future when I don’t have other things on my plate.

When you get yours built try playing around with different diodes (throw in a switch) Sis will be a bit louder, and leds will sound different than the Ge or Si ones.

The Darlinton tx is rated at 30 v, so if your caps are rated at a high enough voltage you can experiment with up to a 24 v ps, with Aen’s battery sag circuit.

Keith
金属マリアッチ
MARIATCHIMETARU

"First we have to make you pretty"
metalmariachi

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby aen » Mon Apr 07, 2008 1:31 am

Seizurema wrote:
aen wrote:I just got bit by the Ring mod bug. Le tme know how these things work out!

When will we see a Dwarfcraft Ring Mod, sir?

Maybe christmas. :cry:
Chankgeez wrote:
aen

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby spiffy chap » Mon Apr 07, 2008 4:53 am

It'd be cool to add an expression output to control the Ring Mod. I believe its fairly simple...http://commonsound.com/other/genmods.pdf

Aen or Devi can chime in if this is an incorrect way.
spiffy chap

committed
committed

Postby k o y l » Mon Apr 07, 2008 6:30 am

it will.. kind of.. because it will have a photo eye controlling the rate.

I just finished to record clips of the ring mod with different resistor values in order to choose the best 2 ones. I also recorded a little demo of the psychtar and this is really an amazing circuit.. I have a piezo transducer under the bridge of one of my Jazzmaster and it's works very well with the psychtar in sitar mode: play indian scales with quarter tone and you're in Bombay !
I'll post some soundclips soon, you'll hear that.

metalmariachi wrote:When you get yours built try playing around with different diodes (throw in a switch) Sis will be a bit louder, and leds will sound different than the Ge or Si ones.

The Darlinton tx is rated at 30 v, so if your caps are rated at a high enough voltage you can experiment with up to a 24 v ps, with Aen’s battery sag circuit.

Keith

Unfortunately it's already built.. and I'd rather not try to desolder things to modify it because I'm very good at ruining everything when I try to do this ..
But I plan to re try this circuit in the future and mod and tweak the hell out of it: it's so interesting and I'm sure there's a lot of things to discover in it .
I'll definitely try your suggestions.

... Battery sag.. ! :wow what a fantastic idea you have there: Not a bad idea at all ! I'll put one in the box (if I have some room left) :rock:
.. but the caps are rated at 16v it seems ... :cry:
k o y l

committed
committed

Postby k o y l » Tue Apr 08, 2008 5:13 pm

Here are demos of the Psychtar circuit: (beware: the playing doesn't sound bad, it sounds totally retarded ! :idk: )
you'll hear how much noise it can produce just by itself...

Octave Up:

Normal Pickup: http://media.putfile.com/Psychtar-Demo-OctaveUp---NormalPickup
Piezo Pickup: http://media.putfile.com/Psychtar-Demo-OctaveUp-PiezoPickup

Sitar Mode: (works especially well with the piezo !)

Normal Pickup: http://media.putfile.com/Psychtar-Demo-Sitar-NormalPickup
Piezo Pickup: http://media.putfile.com/Psychtar-Demo-Sitar-PiezoPickup

I have decided of the resistors values for the thing modulator. It will be 100 Ohm for the hi rate and 56K for the Low rate.
Demos !!
Hi-Rate / 100 Ohm : http://media.putfile.com/Thing-Modulator-Hi-Rate
Low Rate / 56K : http://media.putfile.com/Thing-Modulator-Low-Rate

I think it will be when glitchy when in the box. the circuit was very near my laptop when I recorded.

All the parts needed for the Bronx cheer circuit are ordered. :)
k o y l

committed
committed

Postby aen » Tue Apr 08, 2008 10:09 pm

Woah, dude. You'r eon to something.
Chankgeez wrote:
aen

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Return to DIY Effects