Brush on Clearcoat

Moderator: Ghost Hip

Forum rules
The DIY forum is for personal projects (things that are not for sale, not in production), info sharing, peer to peer assistance. No backdoor spamming (DIY posts that are actually advertisements for your business). No clones of in-production pedals. If you have concerns or questions, feel free to PM admin. Thanks so much!

Brush on Clearcoat

Postby letsgocoyote » Tue Apr 01, 2008 3:00 am

So, I wanted to try to brush on clearcoat on a pedal like devi does with the soy clearcoat.

i didnt have that stuff, but used minwax polycrylic. i tried to use a foam roller but it just didnt jive well and was making funky bubbles and stuff. but i used four coats with a foam brush alternating the direction of strokes each coat. it does leave stroke texture marks but otherwise works great and i think looks cool.

nice thing is, no fumes, and you can do it inside, any weather!

letsgocoyote

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Re: Brush on Clearcoat

Postby letsgocoyote » Tue Apr 01, 2008 3:58 pm

well i did try the papilio stuff you use. im doing some third party building of some overdrive pedals for this small boutique amp maker to sell under his name, but the papilio stuff got all bubbley on me on the sun cuz its vinyl. probably my fault for sitting it in the sun to dry (and i was using clear spray).

so for this personal pedal of mine i bought photo glossy sticker paper from Office Depot. it's actually paper so it doesnt bubble. but yeha i just cut it with some real nice fiskars. i was worried since it was paper not vinyl it was goign to smear the ink but it was fine.

its buffer until 12 o clock, clean boost til 3, and dirty overdrive between 3 and max.

i think just making stickers yourself is the best option. i think most places that do full color stickers in small quanities and low price aren;t actually silk screened they are printed some other way and so the colors fade too easy. well mayeb thats jsut for outdoor use though. so i dont know
letsgocoyote

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby AsTheWheelTurns » Tue Apr 01, 2008 7:16 pm

that's a good looking pedal.
AsTheWheelTurns

uncommitted
uncommitted

Postby aen » Sun Apr 13, 2008 2:29 am

Shit, Im still just printing on not glossy sticker paper and clear coating the shit out of it. :(
Chankgeez wrote:
DWARFCRAFT: We are not fucking around this year.
aen

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby St.Norman » Sat May 17, 2008 9:01 am

Baptized in the blood of mine enemy.
St.Norman

involved
involved

Return to DIY Effects