Loop pedal w/ momentary switch that reverses the main 3dpt

Moderator: Ghost Hip

Forum rules
The DIY forum is for personal projects (things that are not for sale, not in production), info sharing, peer to peer assistance. No backdoor spamming (DIY posts that are actually advertisements for your business). No clones of in-production pedals. If you have concerns or questions, feel free to PM admin. Thanks so much!

Loop pedal w/ momentary switch that reverses the main 3dpt

Postby Seten » Thu Dec 13, 2018 12:29 am

How would I wire a loop pedal with both a regular and a momentary switch and make it so the momentary switch being pressed turns the loop on when the regular switch is off and vice versa? what type of momentary switch would i need and how would i connect it to the main switch?
Seten

committed
committed

Re: Loop pedal w/ momentary switch that reverses the main 3d

Postby DRodriguez » Thu Dec 13, 2018 11:58 am

I can think up a scheme using a 3pdt as the toggle and a 4pdt momentary for the toggle switch.
Wire up the 3pdt like a normal bypass switch, but
Switch pins 1,3 and 4,6 with the 4pdt.
DRodriguez

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Dr. Sherman Sticks M.D. » Thu Dec 13, 2018 12:58 pm

Dr. Sherman Sticks M.D.

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Seten » Thu Dec 13, 2018 9:59 pm

DRodriguez wrote:I can think up a scheme using a 3pdt as the toggle and a 4pdt momentary for the toggle switch.
Wire up the 3pdt like a normal bypass switch, but
Switch pins 1,3 and 4,6 with the 4pdt.

Could you go a little more into detail? I'm very new to this, just built a couple kits. I'd also like to add feedback on a toggle switch and a momentary footswitch. I understand this diagram (except im not sure why theres a ground connection on 3) but i dont know how to wire the 4dpt youre talking about.
Attachments
tumblr_lfwjj510Ya1qemwmy.gif
tumblr_lfwjj510Ya1qemwmy.gif (50.82 KiB) Viewed 6266 times
Seten

committed
committed

Postby DRodriguez » Sat Dec 15, 2018 12:56 pm

This is how I'd wire it
DRodriguez

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Seten » Mon Jan 21, 2019 7:02 pm

DRodriguez wrote:Image
This is how I'd wire it

Thanks so much! If I wanted to add a feedback control on a switch with a knob to control amount is this all I would need to do? I'm a little confused because every schematic I've seen for a feedback looper doesn't connect the return tip directly to the spdt switch but rather to the lug on the stomp switch that is connected to the return jack when the switch is engaged. I can't think of why you would do this.

Tr59cSP.png
Seten

committed
committed

Postby eatyourguitar » Mon Jan 21, 2019 10:41 pm

Seten wrote:Thanks so much! If I wanted to add a feedback control on a switch with a knob to control amount is this all I would need to do? I'm a little confused because every schematic I've seen for a feedback looper doesn't connect the return tip directly to the spdt switch but rather to the lug on the stomp switch that is connected to the return jack when the switch is engaged. I can't think of why you would do this.

yeah you might find a feedback looper that is wired that way. the return jack is usually coming out of some delay pedal that is next to the feedback looper. the send jack is usually the input of a delay or a pedal board. the return is also wired to the output of the feedback looper. and the input of the feedback looper is wired to the send. so when you press that switch all the shit is connected to all the other shit directly with copper wires 4 ways party time. :animal: :yay: :!!!:

you can put the 500KB feedback pot on either side of the footswitch. it makes no difference. if you want a master volume on the feedback looper you can just stick it before the feedback looper output jack tip. if you want true bypass of the volume knob then that is a whole thing on top of a thing.
WWW.EATYOURGUITAR.COM <---- MY DIY STUFF
eatyourguitar

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Seten » Mon Oct 14, 2019 3:54 pm

eatyourguitar wrote:
Seten wrote:Thanks so much! If I wanted to add a feedback control on a switch with a knob to control amount is this all I would need to do? I'm a little confused because every schematic I've seen for a feedback looper doesn't connect the return tip directly to the spdt switch but rather to the lug on the stomp switch that is connected to the return jack when the switch is engaged. I can't think of why you would do this.

yeah you might find a feedback looper that is wired that way. the return jack is usually coming out of some delay pedal that is next to the feedback looper. the send jack is usually the input of a delay or a pedal board. the return is also wired to the output of the feedback looper. and the input of the feedback looper is wired to the send. so when you press that switch all the shit is connected to all the other shit directly with copper wires 4 ways party time. :animal: :yay: :!!!:

you can put the 500KB feedback pot on either side of the footswitch. it makes no difference. if you want a master volume on the feedback looper you can just stick it before the feedback looper output jack tip. if you want true bypass of the volume knob then that is a whole thing on top of a thing.

Getting ready to finally build this 10 months later - thanks so much for the help, I've got one more question in regards to your comment about a true bypass volume knob. Couldn't I just put a 500kA master volume pot along the light blue wire coming from return? Wouldn't that work the same as sticking it before the output jack except its only in effect when the loop is engaged?
Seten

committed
committed

Postby BetterOffShred » Tue Oct 15, 2019 11:10 pm

You would want it with lug 1 to ground, lug 2 from the jack, lug 3 to the switch. If I get your meaning
BetterOffShred

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Seten » Mon Nov 11, 2019 9:27 pm

BetterOffShred wrote:You would want it with lug 1 to ground, lug 2 from the jack, lug 3 to the switch. If I get your meaning

yeah, im referring to how eatyourguitar said that if i wanted true bypass on the volume knob that would be a whole thing on top of a thing. wouldnt the volume knob be bypassed when the loop is bypassed if it were along the blue wire aka how you described it?
Seten

committed
committed

Postby eatyourguitar » Thu Nov 14, 2019 7:10 am

Seten wrote:
BetterOffShred wrote:You would want it with lug 1 to ground, lug 2 from the jack, lug 3 to the switch. If I get your meaning

yeah, im referring to how eatyourguitar said that if i wanted true bypass on the volume knob that would be a whole thing on top of a thing. wouldnt the volume knob be bypassed when the loop is bypassed if it were along the blue wire aka how you described it?

that depends on what you want. if you use a feedback looper with a distortion pedal and no delay pedal then the output during feedback is super loud compared to the distortion output without feedback. so if that is the use case then I put a momentary footswitch only and I wire the volume knob to bypass when there is no feedback when the momentary is not depressed. normally, feedback looper is super simple. you just have a single wire connecting the delay output to the delay input. all you need is a SPST switch if there is no LED indicator. if you want that footswitch to bypass or engage the volume knob at the same time as the feedback is connected or disconnected then you need a 3PDT. big difference. it has been a while since I have done this. I have reinvent something I invented once before. this was the first thing I built 10 years ago.
WWW.EATYOURGUITAR.COM <---- MY DIY STUFF
eatyourguitar

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Return to DIY Effects