DIY Spring Reverb Unit

Moderator: Ghost Hip

Forum rules
The DIY forum is for personal projects (things that are not for sale, not in production), info sharing, peer to peer assistance. No backdoor spamming (DIY posts that are actually advertisements for your business). No clones of in-production pedals. If you have concerns or questions, feel free to PM admin. Thanks so much!

Re: DIY Spring Reverb Unit

Postby repoman » Sat Oct 06, 2018 9:55 am

I built a 6G15 from a mojotone kit, I had it working for a couple days but then it stopped and I don't know how to fix it. Sounded amazing when it was working though.
repoman

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby BetterOffShred » Sat Oct 06, 2018 12:01 pm

Ben79 wrote:Looks good, along the same lines as Cloudscape's design. I was in an abandoned factory with a screwdriver on my person the other day and happened to find a very nice old 24v transformer so I'm gonna go big and build the Carlsbro.

Are the Rutheniums available to buy anywhere?

Sick! Nah I don't think so. It's just a couple 5088s a 74 and a 1054.. I used the long time accutronics tank . The whole thing fits in an XX size box too. :)*
BetterOffShred

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby Dr Satan » Tue Oct 09, 2018 10:09 pm

repoman wrote:I built a 6G15 from a mojotone kit, I had it working for a couple days but then it stopped and I don't know how to fix it. Sounded amazing when it was working though.

Start from the easiest and most obvious then work out from there. Check your solder connections. Reflow anything even remotely suspicious. Look for signs of arcing and burnt components, that will give you an idea of what could be the culprit. But before any of that, swap the tubes out one at a time with known good ones. Make sure it isn't redplating anything. Make sure it has the right fuse in it. Make sure the outlet you're plugging into works, lol. Oh man, the frustration I've caused myself over not turning on the power strip I was plugged into... :picard:
Dr Satan

committed
committed

Postby repoman » Thu Oct 11, 2018 9:59 am

Dr Satan wrote:
repoman wrote:I built a 6G15 from a mojotone kit, I had it working for a couple days but then it stopped and I don't know how to fix it. Sounded amazing when it was working though.

Start from the easiest and most obvious then work out from there. Check your solder connections. Reflow anything even remotely suspicious. Look for signs of arcing and burnt components, that will give you an idea of what could be the culprit. But before any of that, swap the tubes out one at a time with known good ones. Make sure it isn't redplating anything. Make sure it has the right fuse in it. Make sure the outlet you're plugging into works, lol. Oh man, the frustration I've caused myself over not turning on the power strip I was plugged into... :picard:

Yeah I think I need to completely redo it, I suspect I burnt out one of the transformers. When I initially built it, I wired the heater wires incorrectly, which completely fried one of the tubes. Then I redid that wiring, replaced the tube and it worked and sounded amazing. Used it for a couple days then it just stopped working, I rebuilt it a couple times after and replaced the filter caps and it still doesn't work, tubes light up, very little sound comes through it though. I'm not savy enough to know the procedure to see if the transformers are functioning properly and I haven't been keen on dropping another $100 into those as trouble shooting...although I probably should the thing has been sitting under a chair in my room for a couple years. My state doesn't have any competent amp techs either...theres only one and he is terrible, I've had him work on 3 amps and he fucked up every one...including stealing all the mustard caps out of a 1974 JMP I had. :mad: (I had no idea about amps back then)
repoman

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby crochambeau » Thu Oct 11, 2018 10:06 am

repoman wrote:Yeah I think I need to completely redo it, I suspect I burnt out one of the transformers.

Are you able to safely measure live circuits?
D.o.S. wrote:This thing is like the Blue Box on the amount of acid that lands you in the ER pretending to play it straight while you try and ignore the fact that the walls are dripping oil.

Rochambeau Musical Apparatus
Reverb storefront
Shark Tank
crochambeau

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby repoman » Thu Oct 11, 2018 11:35 pm

Nope
repoman

FAMOUS
FAMOUS