PCB layout opinions ( Jacks, pots, etc)

Moderator: Ghost Hip

Forum rules
The DIY forum is for personal projects (things that are not for sale, not in production), info sharing, peer to peer assistance. No backdoor spamming (DIY posts that are actually advertisements for your business). No clones of in-production pedals. If you have concerns or questions, feel free to PM admin. Thanks so much!

PCB layout opinions ( Jacks, pots, etc)

Postby imJonWain » Fri Aug 10, 2018 8:05 pm

I'm working on a PCB clone of the boss FZ-2 (exact as possible, including buffers, switching, etc). Nothing commercial just gonna do a run of 10 and sell the extras.
I honestly can't decide whether I want to do the Input/Output + DC jacks and the pots/switches all PCB mount or just have pads on the edge of the PCB.

Any thoughts? Opinions? I kinda want to do everything PCB mount just to try it out but don't want to deter people from picking up my extras.
Last edited by imJonWain on Sat Aug 11, 2018 3:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Thats hella tight dude

Sometimes I get so upset that I don't have a goth gf I put on type-o-negative and jerk off.
imJonWain

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Re: PCB layout opinions ( Jacks, pots, etc)

Postby BetterOffShred » Fri Aug 10, 2018 8:41 pm

Board mount jacks and DC are no good. Basically dictates what size box you're going to do and layout. At that point you might as well buy the Behringer clone for 24$ having pads is dope. :joy:

Just like.. my opinion man!

:)*

Edit.. even with board mount pots I usually just use solid core wire and mount them where I want.
BetterOffShred

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby crochambeau » Fri Aug 10, 2018 8:53 pm

I'd say lay it out like you want.

If I want to fly wires to an off board DC inlet jack, I can just solder the wires to the pads provided.... OR if you want to really challenge yourself you could go Swiss Army Knife on it and plant the PCB mount everything AND run additional traces out to the edge. Realistically, if you're board mounting everything you're probably going to wind up with more square inches of PCB material than you'd need, so you've room to get creative.

My only request (and I say this without committing to buying one) would be punching a mounting hole somewhere so the PCB can be secured by other than mounted parts.
D.o.S. wrote:This thing is like the Blue Box on the amount of acid that lands you in the ER pretending to play it straight while you try and ignore the fact that the walls are dripping oil.

Rochambeau Musical Apparatus
Stuff for sale, ask me how
Shark Tank
crochambeau

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby Dr Satan » Fri Aug 10, 2018 11:15 pm

PCB mount all the way. If people don't want to cram it in a 125B (really close to standard BOSS size) they can put fly leads in the PCB holes. People rehouse shit all the time, it's a non-issue.
Dr Satan

committed
committed

Postby Jero » Fri Aug 10, 2018 11:34 pm

Agree with crochambeau.

If it will fit in a 125B, I'm probably interested....Actually I'm interested regardless :snax:

...Better yet, if I can fit it in one of these extra boss enclosures I have lying around... :!!!:
Jero

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Jwar » Sun Aug 12, 2018 12:46 pm

As someone who rehoused a lot of pedals, I despise PCB mounted shit from that aspect. From a builders perspective, yes, do it. Just don't do the stomps. Those go bad faster than anything else in my experience and you'll having to remove all the guts versus just the switch later for repairs. It's not a huge deal but it is fucking annoying. lol.

PCB mounting just makes things look cleaner IIMO. The other advantage is that you don't have to do all sorts of off board wiring and go through 80 possibilities of why something isn't working. A huge disadvantage is drill templates. You better be sure that you can measure properly otherwise, it's a huge pain in the ass. You have only a tiny bit of forgiveness on board mounted shit (if any), where as off board stuff, you can do whatever you want. Holes don't line up quite right by a millimeter? Who cares.

So, I'd do all board mounted and SMD. ;) Hahaha. I don't know if you can SMD that circuit without making it sound like shit, but I'd try it.

Also mark me down as interested. :)
"I do not have the ability to think rationally 90% of the time and I also change my mind at the drop of a hat".

-JWAR :)
Jwar

Cosmic of BILF
Cosmic of BILF

Return to DIY Effects