Replacement Pot Woes

Moderator: Ghost Hip

Forum rules
The DIY forum is for personal projects (things that are not for sale, not in production), info sharing, peer to peer assistance. No backdoor spamming (DIY posts that are actually advertisements for your business). No clones of in-production pedals. If you have concerns or questions, feel free to PM admin. Thanks so much!

Re: Replacement Pot Woes

Postby frodog » Wed Jan 17, 2018 12:42 pm

Here is the pot in question: https://www.ebay.com/itm/POTENTIOMETER-OHMIC-RV6N-10K-OHM-20-Lot-of-1-pcs/260973677675?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649

You know what, I'm an imbecile. I misread and thought this was 10 pots for $3, haha... There is another listing for a lot containing 20 pcs. for $27. Now that would give me more than enough for a Six Shooter EQ. But for that, Alpha PCB mount pots are the recommended, more practical and indeed cheaper alternative. I will probably go for those. But I do want to one day build like a fuzz with all unnecessarily big parts.
frodog

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby JonnyAngle » Wed Jan 17, 2018 12:56 pm

frodog wrote:Here is the pot in question: https://www.ebay.com/itm/POTENTIOMETER-OHMIC-RV6N-10K-OHM-20-Lot-of-1-pcs/260973677675?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649

You know what, I'm an imbecile. I misread and thought this was 10 pots for $3, haha... There is another listing for a lot containing 20 pcs. for $27. Now that would give me more than enough for a Six Shooter EQ. But for that, Alpha PCB mount pots are the recommended, more practical and indeed cheaper alternative. I will probably go for those. But I do want to one day build like a fuzz with all unnecessarily big parts.

I don't think the juice is worth the squeeze for those pots. They aren't specifically made to fit in X piece that you're repairing or anything like that.

Crochambeau knows his poop from shit!
JonnyAngle

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby frodog » Wed Jan 17, 2018 1:07 pm

He does indeed! I can only marvel at his creations.
frodog

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby crochambeau » Wed Jan 17, 2018 1:31 pm

I'm blushing over here, stop.

hahaha

Those pots might actually be surprisingly compact. I have some that look similar, the caveat is that the shaft is 1/8th inch, making knob selection an additional issue..

I'd buy new production from a reputable dealer, and grab random nonsense when money/project is not hinging on its success. There is a LOT of weird shit out there once you veer into surplus/old stock.
I've got to get off my ass and bring to reality that what has been quoted through existence.

Rochambeau Musical Apparatus
Reverb storefront
Shark Tank
crochambeau

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby JonnyAngle » Fri Jan 19, 2018 2:14 pm

I got the drop in replacement pots. Hopefully I can do this next week!!!!
JonnyAngle

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby DRodriguez » Fri Jan 19, 2018 2:22 pm

Whoo!
DRodriguez

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby JonnyAngle » Fri Jan 19, 2018 5:01 pm

Wtf
JonnyAngle

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby crochambeau » Fri Jan 19, 2018 7:38 pm

Is "low" on the level control connected to ground?

I've observed similar signal pass/ignore pot position when the pot is just a variable resistance instead of a voltage divider.

That may not explain why you're losing all signal at maximum (is that an accurate statement?) but it could be a contributor.
I've got to get off my ass and bring to reality that what has been quoted through existence.

Rochambeau Musical Apparatus
Reverb storefront
Shark Tank
crochambeau

IAMILF
IAMILF

Postby JonnyAngle » Fri Jan 19, 2018 8:19 pm

Leg 2 is ground

Leg 2 and 1 measure 50k when the volume is at minimum
This is true for channels 1-3
Channel 4 reads 70k

Channel 4 doesn’t go through the reverb
JonnyAngle

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby JonnyAngle » Fri Jan 19, 2018 10:49 pm

The ground wire connecting the input jack banks and the pcb was not connected.

Ch 1-3 work normal. Ch4 doesn’t have a gain control, which used to be channel 3. Someone reversed the input wires for 3 and 4

Reverb still doesn’t work. I’ve got this to useable for my needs so I’m putting it back together and maybe tackling he rest later.

Shout out to curt and peter bregman
JonnyAngle

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby JonnyAngle » Sat Jan 20, 2018 2:20 pm

Goddammit! When i was putting it all back together, i dropped the grille on the speaker and punchtured it twice.
Glued it back together. Sounds litAF with the torn speaker but will have to replace it eventually.

Prob look for a matched pair. Any recommendations on a 16ohm 80w peAk driver?
JonnyAngle

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Jwar » Sun Jan 21, 2018 6:47 pm

JonnyAngle wrote:Goddammit! When i was putting it all back together, i dropped the grille on the speaker and punchtured it twice.
Glued it back together. Sounds litAF with the torn speaker but will have to replace it eventually.

Jack,

I know this makes me a dick, but I laughed super hard and envisioning you dropping that fucker through your speaker. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

That sucks ass though.
"I do not have the ability to think rationally 90% of the time and I also change my mind at the drop of a hat".

-JWAR :)
Jwar

Cosmic of BILF
Cosmic of BILF

Postby JonnyAngle » Sun Jan 21, 2018 11:19 pm

Jesus Was a Robot wrote:
JonnyAngle wrote:Goddammit! When i was putting it all back together, i dropped the grille on the speaker and punchtured it twice.

Jack,

I know this makes me a dick, but I laughed super hard and envisioning you dropping that fucker through your speaker. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

That sucks ass though.

The worst part was That I was in process of putting it back on.
JonnyAngle

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Previous

Return to DIY Effects