WOLF COMPUTER DIY DID YOU BUILD IT?

Moderator: Ghost Hip

Forum rules
The DIY forum is for personal projects (things that are not for sale, not in production), info sharing, peer to peer assistance. No backdoor spamming (DIY posts that are actually advertisements for your business). No clones of in-production pedals. If you have concerns or questions, feel free to PM admin. Thanks so much!

Re: WOLF COMPUTER DIY DID YOU BUILD IT?

Postby eatyourguitar » Tue Dec 05, 2017 4:03 pm

parts count in the medium is best. these are the circuits that I can shrink down to a 1590B or 1590BB. I want to offer people something that they can not do on strip board. some of my projects are using resistors arrays or even mixed with some SMD. I have established myself as a fuzz and distortion guy so I don't think it is out of my area. obviously I want to sell more than one PCB for each project that I offer. my only concern is that it sits on a shelf waiting for someone to get interested. if you think it will sell then it will sell. build what you would use not what you think other people would want. it is pretty hard to know what people want but it is easier to trust your self in your own opinion about what you like in a guitar pedal. I think all it takes to sell something is a youtube video and some social media.
WWW.EATYOURGUITAR.COM <---- MY DIY STUFF
eatyourguitar

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby Ben79 » Tue Dec 05, 2017 4:35 pm

I would use it :joy: . I will use it in fact - those circuits are all in my huge lithium ion powered semi-modular fuzz/amp machine (that first began life about 3 years ago and is still unfinished) so once that's finished, I'll make a video. Then do some some social media :barf:, then maybe we can talk PCB.
Ben79

experienced
experienced

Postby BetterOffShred » Sat Dec 09, 2017 6:40 pm

My boards came. I think I have the pots to make the wolf computer now. I will probably wire it up tomorrow morning. The boards are great quality, and shipping was fast, thanks a lot sir!! I will definitely make a little video when I get it running.
BetterOffShred

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby BetterOffShred » Mon Dec 11, 2017 9:51 pm

Built it. Works. Had to hook up tone 1 to volume 3 (maybe the other way around don't have the schematic in front of me) sounds great. I really like the mods. I used a 3u3 polarized with the positive pole towards the 100n and that works fine. I don't have a b25k or any 25k for that matter so I had to use an A50k for fuzz.. that's definitely sub-optimal. And then I may use smaller values for the sag controls, but the fine is really nice imo.

Thanks again sir. It's a nice project :)
BetterOffShred

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby BetterOffShred » Tue Dec 12, 2017 12:42 pm

I played around with it a little more and I think I'll keep the 10k and 1k sag values. It's useful the whole sweep, and does some nutty Random Number Generator stuff with the sag all the way up. It's also highly interactive with the bias control of course so that leads to interesting sounds. I think I'm going to swap the lugs on the sag controls so as you "turn them up" you're actually starving more voltage, viewing the sag knob as something you engage rather than voltage something you turn up.. if that makes sense. Not sure. Maybe I'll just call it "Voltage" and leave it as is haha. Doesn't really matter.
BetterOffShred

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby eatyourguitar » Wed Dec 13, 2017 1:48 pm

You got the right idea with the sag control. It is called starve on other pedals. More starve is more resistance is more cw is less power. I may update the build doc to say that you can use electrolytic now that people have had good results. The PCB has no mark to indicate polarity so it may cause more problems than it is worth just to save money on parts. I have to sell all the PCB before I can make an updated version. For now people can get the polarity from the discussion here someone already figured it out.
eatyourguitar

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby BetterOffShred » Wed Dec 13, 2017 11:25 pm

This pic shows the orientation before I trimmed the leads on everything.
Attachments
20171213_192356-768x768.jpg
BetterOffShred

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby imJonWain » Fri Dec 15, 2017 1:25 pm

just curious do you design your boards in Eagle? How did you do the wonky font on the your suck fuzz board? inserting a bitmap?
"To my lay mind, the lobster's behavior in the kettle appears to be the expression of a preference; and it may well be that an ability to form preferences is the decisive criterion for real suffering."
http://www.TFRelectronics.com <project info
https://oshpark.com/profiles/TFRelectronics <oshpark shared boards
https://www.staticdisaster.com/ <my radio show
imJonWain

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby BetterOffShred » Fri Dec 15, 2017 6:41 pm

I realized in my little build report I said positive pole towards the 100n and it's opposite in the picture. I meant towards it in the schematic.. which on the board is negative pole towards the 100n monolithic there. ;)
BetterOffShred

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby eatyourguitar » Fri Dec 15, 2017 7:21 pm

I tried switching to geda or kicad but I was having serious problems with security, hardware compatibility, stability and longevity of my Linux distributions that I selected to work with GEDA. So with deadlines fast approaching and clients to please, I went back to cadsoft eagle. Eagle is what I know. I would acknowledge that there is almost no reason you should not use kicad on windows or Linux. It is free and similar in capability to eagle. There is nothing wrong with dip trace either. The huge problem with eagle now is that you can no longer buy it. If you already purchased it then you can keep it but not upgrade it. If you are new and want the features of the better version of eagle you can rent it. Guitar pedal people can use the demo for small 2 layer PCB but you can not legally sell the PCB made with the demo. I don't think they can stop you at gun point from making $5 back on your huge time investment. It is definitely grey area if you do that. I think a boycott of Autodesk eagle is completely appropriate as long as they refuse to take money for one time licenses to own the software free of further restrictions. Kicad is actually free and always will be. You can update, modify, duplicate, compile and distribute free software within the license and grey hat without. The only benefit to eagle is the ubiquitousness of it after it has been well established. You can ask for a part library or plugin script and you will get it. Autodesk if you are reading this please contact me so I can help you improve your software with better hot keys and basic automation of common tasks. The only reason I won't switch to kicad or GEDA is that I don't need to. Ideally I would volunteer to build better free software but who would pay my bills? Until the world switches to free software we will be slaves to software companies who make all the decisions for anything related to technology.
eatyourguitar

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby eatyourguitar » Fri Dec 15, 2017 8:41 pm

The font was drawn in eagle on the Tname layer using the line tool. It can not be repeated so it is not a font as much as it is graffiti. You can put in any layer as long as that layer is called by the cam file to print the gerbers for Tsilk or is it Tscreen? Something like that.
eatyourguitar

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Postby imJonWain » Sat Dec 16, 2017 12:21 am

cool, thanks!
"To my lay mind, the lobster's behavior in the kettle appears to be the expression of a preference; and it may well be that an ability to form preferences is the decisive criterion for real suffering."
http://www.TFRelectronics.com <project info
https://oshpark.com/profiles/TFRelectronics <oshpark shared boards
https://www.staticdisaster.com/ <my radio show
imJonWain

FAMOUS
FAMOUS

Postby BetterOffShred » Sat Dec 16, 2017 10:25 pm

Update.. I found a b25k I was using as a bias trimmer while testing Ge grannies.. threw that in for the fuzz.. way better. This is a fantastic fuzz if you like to trip out with fuzz
BetterOffShred

IAMILFFAMOUS
IAMILFFAMOUS

Previous

Return to DIY Effects