· Gen · Guit · · Bldrs · B/S/T ·

Your band, other bands, singers, songwriters, more.
Post a reply

Re: Okta 5: Under Winter Skies [sign up now!]

Thu Feb 15, 2024 8:04 pm

Y'all who are on board, check your private messages.

Anyone on the fence but thinking about getting involved? The window to get in on this is closing — act now!

Wed Feb 21, 2024 9:50 am

i've got four things on the recorder so far. three of them are loops done with the SMMH, RV-3, and distortion--two are the same loop at different degrees of deterioration which could be conceptually interesting to interweave--and there's one of birds out the window with the surprisingly loud sounds of Charlottesville waking up and my cat in the background. you could EQ this last to pull out the birds. i want to do some more stuff that's more sparse and capture some outdoors sounds. i guess i should take the Tascam around with me for a bit.

edit: i plugged the Tascam into the stereo and boy howdy, does it ever sound good. i'm really impressed with the microphones...i'm used to hearing my loop exercises recorded on the phone which comparatively sounds horrible (though oddly it does really well at concerts), and the birds are fucking hi-fi. i think this is going to work. if i can figure out how to get tracks to the iPhone so i could fuck around in GarageBand things could get interesting, and it's conceivable that i could have that together by the end of March.

Wed Feb 21, 2024 1:45 pm

Awesome! You are an inspiration... I was thinking about doing some stuff last weekend but did not, but really gonna plug things in this weekend. Plus, I have a couple field-recording notions... I should remember to have my recorder with me when I'm out and about more.

Wed Feb 21, 2024 1:54 pm

my girlfriend is in the hospital which sucks but may offer some excellent sampling opportunities. there's all kinds of weird sounds in intensive care.

i found the sweet spot on the SMMH where the backwards echo is best balanced between the maximum number of repeats before the initial note drops off and its retention of old sounds that gradually watercolor out. it's the only backwards delay that's ever worked for me, and with the loop function i can add stuff to the deteriorated delay. the 350ms delay + modulation does a wonderful King Tubby impersonation i need to dial in a bit more.

Fri Feb 23, 2024 3:39 pm

i'm now up to 15 samples and think i'll stop collecting stuff soon and try to figure out how to fuck with stuff in GarageBand on the iPhone. i've got several examples of deteriorated, heavily layered delay repeats ranging from subtle underwater sounds to jagged grind and including a couple of examples of the same loop degraded over time for the Tomas Jirku effect, three different bird groups out the window, and oddments including the sounds of intensive care equipment, rain on the neighborhood, late-evening parking-lot ambience outside Martha Jefferson Hospital, and the alarm of a crane beeping as it hoisted window washers up to the 5th floor to wash the outside windows for the first time since i moved in in 2015. so have fun with that. i may do something in GB with my sample set just for shits and giggles. when i go to upload stuff, which will be an interesting technical proposition, i'll include a text file about the samples. i can hear some combinations of samples that could be happening. i might take this opportunity to try doing stuff with the Mighty Casio WK-3000 which has some fun sounds on it, though i need to go back through my user presets and remove a ton of extraneous reverb.

Sat Feb 24, 2024 6:32 am

This all sounds interesting! I'll be working on my source samples today.

Sat Feb 24, 2024 7:17 pm

This all sounds positive, the two of us have been working on making recordings today - a variety of acoustic guitar, hammered guitar, electric bass (with some gentle autowah) and tongue drum... there might be some field recordings of skylarks if I can clean the wind noise out of them! Our stuff is mostly without effects so everyone can add them later. Whereabouts do we need to upload them?

Re: Okta 5: Under Winter Skies [stage one in progress!]

Sun Feb 25, 2024 3:01 pm

moid wrote:Whereabouts do we need to upload them?

I will get out my digital broom and tidy up a corner of my google drive tonight or tomorrow. Links to follow.

Re: Okta 5: Under Winter Skies [stage one in progress!]

Sat Mar 02, 2024 6:27 pm

Okay, Google Drive folders have been set up, check dm's for details, please check links and let me know if there are any problems!

Reminder that your source sounds should be created by Sunday, March 24th!

I got a start on things this week, looking forward to recording more.

Sun Mar 03, 2024 4:57 pm

Thanks Heraclitus - Just started adding a load of files from us. There might be a few more soon if we've got to March 24th :)

Mon Mar 04, 2024 8:43 am

i have the full main pedalboard and looping board reconnected--i moved the main board to the coffee table and tested other effects with it--and will try to do some proper loops before i post up. then i have to figure out how to get stuff into GarageBand and work with it so i can use y'all's samples.

Mon Mar 04, 2024 2:37 pm

My files are uploaded. As usual from what I remember, more on the acoustic side. Thought I'd try out recordings of unplugged electric instruments to see what that sounded like magnled into sample hell. Hopefully of some use to someone.

Re: Okta 5: Under Winter Skies [crunch time!]

Sat Mar 16, 2024 12:59 pm

Just over a week to go to finish your stems/source material!

I've got a gig next weekend, so practice time should give me a chance to record a couple more little things.

Re: Okta 5: Under Winter Skies [sounds being made!]

Mon Mar 25, 2024 12:15 am

All right folks.... it is the time to get those sounds uploaded!

Recorded one last thing today and put everything in my folder. Ended up with a mix of synthesized sounds and field recordings, hopefully something useful in there!

Re: Okta 5: Under Winter Skies [sounds being made!]

Wed Mar 27, 2024 7:51 am

having trouble uploading through my work laptop which is all i have. i'll figure it out sometime today.
Post a reply